Tank Bag Recommendations?

zen_kick

Newbie trick. Posted in the wrong forum:

Looking for a tank bag for my 2004 Ballabio. I don't need to pack for a week - just something to hold my 14" laptop, light rain gear, some extra tools, a headlamp and maybe a paperback.

Would like it to be easily removed for security/carrying. Backpack straps not necessary.

Have heard good things about the stock MG tankbags if you can find them (anyone have a source?)

Have seen some Buse bags that are pretty cool.

What have you used and loved?

Not sure about the laptop, but the Guzzi tankbag expands large enough to hold quite a bit of stuff.

I rode to a Yamakamazuki dealer one day, wearing some small boots and a Joe Rocket armor/mesh jacket. The place ended up having some Sidi boots on sale and a Joe Rocket Meteor Jacket that I wanted. I bought them, then immediately thought to myself -- How the Hell am I getting these home?

No problem - I unzipped the expansion portion of the tank bag and had no problem fitting the boots and the jacket (that has back, shoulder and elbow armor) that I had been wearing into it.

The Guzzi bag for the V11 can be hard to find - if Greg has one, my suggestion is to get it NOW!

It has a clear map pocket (it is a little narrow, but usable) and shoulder straps to convert it to a backpack when off the bike.

:bier:

:bike:

The Guzzi tankbag is nice, and is just barely- just barely able to hold an Apple ibook (older 12" model) laying flat. My current 15" mac will not fit flat. It will fit if you unzip the bag and put in there at a funky angle, but you better have some good packing material if you go that way.

If all you need is a laptop carrier, how about one of those backpacks? Get a Mac powerbook (aluminum casing) and it doubles as a spine protector! :grin:

Get the Guzzi bag...fits great, tough...I think I've had a laptop in mine, but not sure. k

Multiple endorsments for the MG bag. Greg has one in stock and I need to pick up some other stuff from him anyway. Feels like destiny.

Does the MG bag come off easily to carry with me? How about mounting - do I have to take off the tank to secure straps?

Multiple endorsments for the MG bag. Greg has one in stock and I need to pick up some other stuff from him anyway. Feels like destiny.

Does the MG bag come off easily to carry with me? How about mounting - do I have to take off the tank to secure straps?

The bag zips onto a padded foam base, that has a hole for your fuel access. The foam base has 2 nylon straps in the front with quick locks to capture part of your frame. I have a hard time routing mine with a LeMans fairing....you might not have that problem. The rear mount requires you to remove the rear fuel tank bolt and use that to hold it. I just put a nyon cord through the hole in the mounting pad and tied it in place under my seat. It's not to hard to install at all. I found a synthetic sheepskin pad that I cut in the shape of the foam pad and I put that in place under the unit to protect my paint job. The foam is OK, but it will trap road dirt along the nylon edge and scratch through your clear coat with miles and vibration.

They are well made and look great with the red MG logo.....go for it!

Andy

The MG bag has a base that stays on the tank. The bag itself zips to the base. When removed the bag has shoulder straps to become a backpack. The base has a hole over the gas cap to allow fillups. The base uses the tanks mounting bolt under the seat at the back. It has two straps that go uner the frame in the front. Easy to install after you know what you are looking at.

I really like mine, and it can pack more than you'd think by just looking at

As stated above, bag zips into place with a thick weave zipper, and locks with a plastic clasp.

The only PITA is refueling - you must remove the bag each time... and with the mileage I get with the Coppa... that is about every 120 miles.

When I zip the bag on and off I have a tendency to hit the horn button if my bars are cocked to the left... just be aware of that if you have the key in and turned on when zipping her up.

The bag itself is great. I had to go on a short trip a month or so ago... had a duffle bag with clothes, but wanted a backpack for sunglasses, MP3, magazines, pair of flip flops, etc... Couldn't find my rgular backpack, so I snagged the MG tank bag - worked like a charm!

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I got the MG bag, tried putting the laptop in and didn't quite fit. It's been sitting on my dresser now for awhile as I don't quite have the "Love It" response that would keep me from finding somthing else but I haven't yet found something better to replace it yet. Thus the MG bag sits in limbo while I decide what to do.

I picked up a set of the cortech sport saddlebags and am thinking the cortech super 18 litre might be a better fit for me. I like he shape - it seems small enough to not fight with the controls when turning but should hold my computer ok. Anyone have one of those fitted on their V11? Recommendations? Problems?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....&Division=6

I use Nelson-Rigg exclusively... Loved the 3 sets I've had on 3 bikes. I don't know if you can still get the expandables from them any more. They were great on the Triumph Sprint ST. I could even expand the tank bag and fit a helmet in it.. I have the Mini's on the V11: motorcycle126.jpg

Richard Z.