clickity clackety

kevdog3019

The new local Guzzi shop had our Lemans in recently for a shift spring. When my wife went to pick it up they told her it badly needed a valve adjustment. It makes a good bit of clacking for sure, but thought this was normal since having it. Have I just been ignoring the issue? I adjusted 4000 miles ago for my first time. They have only heard the new Guzzi's, so that's their reference. Are the newer Guzzi's quieter? It runs fine but don't want issues if they're too loose.

They have only heard the new Guzzi's, so that's their reference. Are the newer Guzzi's quieter?

The "new" Breva and Griso 1100 are much quieter valve-train-wise.

I am sure if they are a new dealer, only handling the new bikes (no older Calis or Spine frames) then they aren't used to real Guzzi valve noise.

I believe that specified valve clearances for US bikes are tiny, perhaps because of the need to satisfy emissions or noise standards. They run better with bigger clearances. The standard European spec is 4 thou on the inlets and 6 thou on the exhausts. I run my V11 Sport at 6 thou on the inlets and 8 thou on the exhaust and I'm happy with that. For bikes that are hard-ridden, I've heard 8 thou inlet and 10 thou exhaust recommended.

"A tappy tappet is a happy tappet" :D

If you do an archive search on here, you'll find this and more information, placed there by those who can be trusted to know.

What mileage did you get out of your spring, as a matter of interest?

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure things were fine. Now I know. I have heard the big Breva and (most recently) the Griso and could not beliee how quiet those bikes are from valve train clacking.

We got 27000 miles off first spring and when opened up, it had 15mm boss and newer spring (if there is such a thing). The boss was replaced since they pre-ordered it prior to investigating. This is fine since old boss showed slight impression of wear in one spot. It seems to correspond to where the spring failed, so maybe the new boss will remedy it anyhow.

Guest ratchethack

. . .The boss was replaced since they pre-ordered it prior to investigating. This is fine since old boss showed slight impression of wear in one spot. It seems to correspond to where the spring failed, so maybe the new boss will remedy it anyhow.

Won't Get Fooled Again

. . .

Take a bow for the new revolution

Smile and grin at the change all around

Take up my guitar and play

Just like yesterday

And I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss

Same as the old boss

-- P. Townshend

Sorry, I just had to. :blush:;)

Won't Get Fooled Again

. . .

Take a bow for the new revolution

Smile and grin at the change all around

Take up my guitar and play

Just like yesterday

And I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again

Meet the new boss

Same as the old boss

-- P. Townshend

Sorry, I just had to. :blush:;)

Yes I realize, but I'm looking at the glass as half-full... you are pointing out that it is half empty.

Some like the old boss

Some like the new boss

I'd prefer for no boss

It's all such a toss

Yes I realize, but I'm looking at the glass as half-full... you are pointing out that it is half empty.

Some like the old boss

Some like the new boss

I'd prefer for no boss

It's all such a toss

The optimist sees the glass as being half-full.

The pessimist sees the glass as being half-empty.

The engineer sees the glass as being approximately twice the size it needs to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aironepony

And big bad BMG sees it as time to order another beer... :bier:

Rj

Mine's a large whisky.................... :drink: