V11 Fairing

waustin

Hi waustin...

I think the general consensus is that the later Ballabio style fairing which mounts to the frame steering head causes more turbulance than the earlier one which turned with the headlight. My own experience is that this is the case, and I've taken off my Ballabio style fairing.

What year V11 are you looking at? Givi makes several fairings which members have liked, but I'm not sure for which model.

Also try a seach of the forum for "fairing" for some more useful info. Good luck with your decision.

BTW, take a look at JRT's V11 Sport w/ a BMW fairing. VERY nice (see here) http://www.v11lemans.com/content/howto/fairingmount.htm

and I think it is for sale... (see here) http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11553

Greetings!

It is in my experience as well that the stalk-mounted fairing on the Ballabio / Cafe Sport / Coppa Italia tends to cause more problems than it solves. I have removed the entire assembly from my Cafe Sport, this required the purchase of a new dash panel and mounting hardware... this also leaves you without a headlight mount which at cheapest are over $120 each side from my last inquiries. My solution was to add a Magni fairing, which is not mounted at present because the bracket had broken. The original fairing (for me) worked better when it turned with the bars. If you are contemplating the purchase of a V11 with the intention of adding a fairing, (of any sort) I would recommend starting with a V11 Sport Naked off the bat just to avoid the hassles of sourcing and installing all of the required parts to make the gauges swing with the handlebars. The V11 Le Mans (all variants) and the Sport Naked come this way from the factory.

For the record, my original intention was to have an Ohlins equipped V11, thus I went with the Cafe Sport.

Greetings!

................. My solution was to add a Magni fairing, which is not mounted at present because the bracket had broken. ........................................

The only issue with this solution is that the Magni fairing puts you in a substantially more aggressive (lower clip-ons) riding position.

Welcome in Waustin, The easiest, and least expensive way would probably be buy the Le Mans and take off the fairing. I was just in that same stage, wanted the Ohlins, and have turned 500 miles today on my new, and 1st Guzzi. I wasn't sure about a fairing, but I LOVE this one. I do because it took an hour or so to realize I was not seeing it, and had NO head buffeting. I'm 5'10", 33" inseam, and I really like the stock clip-ons/leg position. So I will go naked at one point, but not yet. Rode the Griso this weekend, and am truly satisfied the right bike picked me...Oh, The Ohlins really are so much more "planted" feeling, it was worth the layout. Happy hunting and good luck, S.H.

four_twenty_left.jpg

FWIW, I reckon the standrd headlight fitted fairing as fitted to my rosso mandello is not bad. At 5' 11' it direct the air towards my upper chest and thus is a bit noisy and buffety but it is a small fairing. I dont mind this as it helps keep the weight off the wrists/back. As a bike used primarily inthe city, its a good compromise between nothing and well, something. :bbblll:

I think there are a number (my wife suggests "myriad") of elegant solutions. My solution was born of desperation- I did it before the Ballabio was announced. I was thinking about it even before the LeMans came out (here in the states). The R90S fairing works well, is easy to put on and off, so I stuck with it.

I also like Nige's solution, but I'm biased toward those 'full front' fairings like that one and the one on the SP III. Shoot, I even bought a Rabid Transit fairing from callision. Just picked it up today and had a wonderful- but too short- chat with him and his wife. Great people- thanks Carl!

Where was I...been driving too long today....Joplin to Dallas to Sherman....

Um...ok- in my estimation, smaller is usually better and cheaper. The important thing is to get a fairing that directs wind into your chest rather than your head. This will minimize arm fatigue, keep your helmet in 'clean' air, which doesn't bounce your head around as much, doesn't make as much high frequency noise, and generally leaves you less overall fatigued after a long ride. There is no general solution- it depends on how you sit on the bike, your height, and how you hold your head. I would not suggest a tall fairing for 1) esthetics and 2) it would make the front end squirrley (squirley? squirlley?.....)

The only issue with this solution is that the Magni fairing puts you in a substantially more aggressive (lower clip-ons) riding position.

Quite True.

That did take some getting used to. It will get more aggressive still :o once I switch out the clip-ons to the (much nicer) 3 piece units that have just arrived. However...... I'm sure there's a way to make the fairing work with the stock clip ons, as I believe someone (here?) has done it in the past? That solution may have been for the pre-2002 models with the stock clip ons under the top clamp. I'll be looking into it myself once I get my faring back. As I recall, there were 2 issues: the height (which if I recall correctly will clear the fairing) and the rotation (such that the levers won't hit the fairing when the bars are turned to full lock).

Unfortunately the installation and measurement taking may take a while... I'm in Hawaii, fairing is in Chicago <_>

I have found though that the stock windscreen works pretty well if it's pulled back and mounted like it was on the Rosso Mandello and Scura. I had mine this way for about a week before I sent it to my shop in Chicago to try and get the color matched. The bike has been naked since....