Those aren't beef cows. Cows with wooden shoes ;) make cheese. :bier:

Gouda :cheese:

Beemster :cheese:

Chevrelait :cheese:

Edam :cheese:

Vincent :cheese:

Maasdammer :cheese:

Boerenkaas :cheese:

Just a guess, but I doubt if the "gifts" they left Jaap were as appetizing as kaas. . .

Coincidentally, the farmer brought us a big piece of homemade herbal cheese as compensation. That wasn't necessary, because we had quite a laugh when we saw the cows through our window.

You can't buy affection with cheese, I find! :D

Guest ratchethack

Actually [ekchooullee?], it's goat cheese. But you probably knew that... :cheese:

I stand corrected, Skeeve!

Chevrelait

The name is a bit corny, but at least it's accurate. Chevrelait, pronounced like the apple-pie American car company, is the combination of the French words "Chevre" - meaning "goat", and "Lait" - meaning "milk". We discovered this brand new smoked goat's milk cheese while in Holland not too long ago. Similar in looks to Dutch Smoked Gouda, it is a log-shaped cheese with an edible brown rind and a pale white interior. That is where the similarity ends however, as Chevrelait tastes decidedly "goaty". If you like the taste of traditional chevre, you'll find Chevrelait to be a familiar yet unique alternative.

Now I've got to make an unplanned stop at Trader Joe's. . . :cheese:

Now I've got to make an unplanned stop at Trader Joe's. . . :cheese:

Grab some for me, too, please :cheese:

Can you get Dutch raw unpasteurized cheeses in San Diego?

Or are they illegal to import?

I recall hearing about Mexican unpasteurized fresh cheeses being forbidden.

I know it is worth the trip down to mexico, just to get served meals with fresh cheeses that appear not to be available North of the Border.

Guest ratchethack

Hmmmmmm. The FDA is actually good for something . I know of Jalisco cheeses that are quite unique and very good. On y'er plate in "real" Mexican restaurants (both here and in Mexico), being served so hot that you can't touch the plate for at least 5 minutes is generally a "good thing". . . :o Other cheeses from south o' the border available here are historically best left aside. . . :o:whistle:

Unless I miss my guess, Jaap has a few "favorites" local to him, that are readily available here.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV. :cheese:

Hmmmmmm. The FDA is actually good for something .

snip

Other cheeses from south o' the border available here are historically best left aside. . . :o

Again, I disagree, but don't know enough about it to argue, so I'll just drink and eat pasteurized cheeze. :drink:

Oddly enough [i'm sure Jaap would say "Naturally"] the best cheese available to me is made by a Dutch farmer and his wife who live in the next valley over. They keep goats, make cheese from the milk and sell it from their door. It doesn't have a name, but it is the best goat's cheese I've tasted.

Oddly enough [i'm sure Jaap would say "Naturally"] the best cheese available to me is made by a Dutch farmer and his wife who live in the next valley over.

Valley ? Holland is too flat to have any of those :)

Valley ? Holland is too flat to have any of those :)

Next valley, not next country :D This is one of those examples of Europe actually working. And yes, I know that the next country is actually yours - we could do with some of you here, too, to make some decent chocolate.