Oil Filter Options on Deep V Sump

Guest SoCalDon

Guest SoCalDon

I just installed the Moto Spezial Deep V Sump.

The Stock Oil Filter really sticks out.

Most guys replace the Oil filter every other oil change.

Since its outside now, I should be able to put a smaller filter on, and change it every oil change.

Has anyone using the Deep V Sump found a Oil Filter that is lower profile that fits and works?

My next move is to hit the Auto Zone and look at options and experiment.

Guest SoCalDon

Don,

How's that sucker look? Invite me over, I wont drink your beer or hassle your daughters :moon:

Jon,

Lets put your springs and shocks in Saturday.

Come on over.

I agree, the stock oil filter is an ugly device in front of the engine.

I would use the older Guzzi oil filters prior to the 1100 models.

The diameter is only slightly smaller, but it is much shorter. The fixing thread is different, so you need the fixing bolt from the older engines. Should be available from every Guzzi spare parts source.

Guest ratchethack

Hey Don -- Congrat's on the Deep V sump. :thumbsup:

Lots o' the regulars (and many more o' the irregulars :whistle: ) over here select such items as air filters and even tires on the basis of the "fashion statement" they think they make -- quite evidently for posing purposes -- with little, or no regard to actual performance wotsoever. :whistle:

But -- congrat's #2 -- this is the first time to my knowledge someone's asked about a "designer" oil filter! :grin:

Lacking any a propos haute couture fashion oil filters from the likes o':

Giorgio Armani

Nino Cerruti

Cesare Paciotti

Salvatore Ferragamo

Gucci

Bruno Magli

Luciano Soprani

Sergio Tacchini

Valentino

Donatella Versace

Gianni Versace

Wot you could do is just buy any old cheapie -- I like the Wally World ST 3614 (made by Champion Labs) at ~$2 a t'row, f'r example, because it's historically tested as well as, or better than most other filters in every significant performance category -- and put some kinda foofy faux finish on it. ;)

Do they make faux carbon fiber finish in a rattle can? :huh2::lol:

Don, I used to have a shorty filter somewhere in the shed. I'll try and dig it out and find a number on it but from memory it was for the earlier smaller mounting spigot. I can't remember why I got it, its at least a decade old :grin: .

No problem with using a smaller filter and changing it more often in my book. I can't see the small filter being so much more restrictive as to cause problems, especially in your fairly warm climate.

Thinking back I seem to remember that the filter was specified for the Nuovo Gilera Saturno of the late eighties/early nineties???

Pete

The filter from the older engines works fine, just need the adapter from the old(tonti) engines. I have that on mine, just because it came like that when I bought the engine. And like a coincidence, I got a big filter for it now :-) . I'm going to mount an adapterplate in between for an oil cooler.

Guest ratchethack

. . .

No problem with using a smaller filter and changing it more often in my book. I can't see the small filter being so much more restrictive as to cause problems, especially in your fairly warm climate.

. . .

Me either, Pete. The UFI and similar sized oil filters have flow and retention capacities high enough to be spec'd for 4 and 6 cylinder car engines of well over double the displacement -- I reckon all of the ones I read testing on are at least double or triple overkill on the V11. It'd be mighty hard to get one of most any of 'em to bypass unless you'd already filled the sludge trap -- AND THEN stuffed somethin' like a bird's nest thru open velocity stacks at WOT. Or better yet, just place the nest, complete with eggs and birds, right in the sump. That oughta do it. :o:P

The truth is, nobody who hasn't tested them knows how much or how often they bypass.

This is what I do know: The smaller UFI has a filter area less than the width of my calibrated 1-inch thumb. Here's a pic, if you do not believe me:

PICT0017.jpg

On all my bikes, even the Eldo (which I drilled and converted to run an oil filter), I use a larger filter. Change that bitty, wee filter often, and it will bypass less, but do you not think there is a reason Guzzi spent the money to enlarge the passages in the pan and fit a larger filter?

I damn sure do . . .

Hey Don -- Congrat's on the Deep V sump. :thumbsup:

Lots o' the regulars (and many more o' the irregulars :whistle: ) over here select such items as air filters and even tires on the basis of the "fashion statement" they think they make -- quite evidently for posing purposes -- with little, or no regard to actual performance wotsoever. :whistle:

But -- congrat's #2 -- this is the first time to my knowledge someone's asked about a "designer" oil filter! :grin:

Lacking any a propos haute couture fashion oil filters from the likes o':

Giorgio Armani

Nino Cerruti

Cesare Paciotti

Salvatore Ferragamo

Gucci

Bruno Magli

Luciano Soprani

Sergio Tacchini

Valentino

Donatella Versace

Gianni Versace

Wot you could do is just buy any old cheapie -- I like the Wally World ST 3614 (made by Champion Labs) at ~$2 a t'row, f'r example, because it's historically tested as well as, or better than most other filters in every significant performance category -- and put some kinda foofy faux finish on it. ;)

Do they make faux carbon fiber finish in a rattle can? :huh2::lol:

oooh the irony becomes you, mr Hatch

but these things exist, look at this filter replacement kit from Alto Performance, meant to replace the can on Zane Laverdas (668s and stuff)

oil_filter1.JPG.jpg

Guest SoCalDon

How about I go to the local auto parts store and open filter boxes

until I find a shorter one with the same thread and seal diameter.

Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration.

How about I go to the local auto parts store and open filter boxes

until I find a shorter one with the same thread and seal diameter.

Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration.

Save yourself some time & trouble, & only open the boxes for foreign car filters that have metric threads for mounting... ;)

Guest SoCalDon

Save yourself some time & trouble, & only open the boxes for foreign car filters that have metric threads for mounting... ;)

That must be on the fine print.

But seriously, every filter brand must have that built into the part number some how (wishful thinking).

Jon,

Lets put your springs and shocks in Saturday.

Come on over.

Don,

Working Saturday, we shut down Gulfstreams G5 line and need to get em back up, but should be good for Ojai....

Cheers,

Jon