Greasy rear

jrt

Pete Roper actually pointed this out on a different forum- I thought it might be worthwhile to repost it over here. Paraphrasing-

The rear drive crown on the V11 sport LeMans is integrated with the coupling splines for the wheel. This is different from the traditional 'cush drive' of earlier models. Eventually the splines will wear out- it's inevitable. Although it doesn't matter if the spline or the crown is worn- you have to buy the one piece to replace either. And since it's proprietary Moto Guzzi, and since it's two gear cuts on one piece...ouch. What it means is that when this piece goes bad, it's gonna cost you a LOT of money. So check the splines on the wheel and drive box- make sure they have a coating of good lubricant. Don't put it off until you change a tire, consider doing it this weekend.

There's nothing like a well-greased rear end to prevent wear.

(and with that statement I really feel like a 'goldmember')

Cheers,

Jason

I knew I saw that somewhere's. I must be getting forgetful...what was that middle part?

oh, yeah- I was talking to Jim (of Ned's) about this. His take was that BMW drives are the same design. There's machinists who will cut off old splines and refit new ones to the crown for one-two hundred bucks. Problem solved. I'm not going to worry about it too much- I've never had rear splines go bad yet and I've got a few miles on Guzzi's.

cheers,

Jason

Well, I guess I'll just "bundle" this up with a "rear end maintenance" day.... along with cleaning lubing the rear brake, and checking for bearing/spacer issues.

If the spacer is off, I'll have a machinist make a new one...

al