Titanium Exhaust vs. Carbon Fiber

Dr Gil

I'm interested in replacing the stock brushed aluminum exhaust on my '02 Le Mans. I want something that will shed some weight, gain power and sound lovely.

I'm one of those who likes the look of the stock exhausts. Given the limited aftermarket exhaust options for the V11 I'm considering either Mistrals or M4's...in titanium ovals (to keep the stock look).

So my question (I am so ignorant on so many things) is: Is there a difference in either sound or performance between titanium or carbon fiber? I'm assuming the inner workings are the same and therefor the end results will be the same but before I plunk down the large money to replace the exhaust I thought I'd ask. ;)

I can only speak for the MG Ti's, though they are probably made by Mistral, but they have a lovely sound, much deeper than the stock. I went for a ride this evening and a Harley owner, out in the hotel parking lot was very impressed with the sound, FWIW.

Gil: Go now and buy the Guzzi Ti's, you will not be an complete person until this is past. I expect you know this in your heart. Reward your long summer days work, beg Beckzuki's forgiveness, and move on. Oh, and tell me how it is once you achieve that state of bliss.

Gil: Go now and buy the Guzzi Ti's, you will not be an complete person until this is past. I expect you know this in your heart. Reward your long summer days work, beg Beckzuki's forgiveness, and move on. Oh, and tell me how it is once you achieve that state of bliss.

g'luck finding a set, I hear they're heading the way of hens teeth, better to decide between M4 carbon or Ti's Carbons are actually a lil, only a lil, but louder, they don't sear your skin on contact either, which is nice. Downside, the sun will make'em look like crap after awhile. Ti's dent REALLY easy too. its a toss up and only what looks better to you, no real advantage to either. :huh2: I've heard several and to be honest the best would be the quat-d's with the baffel out. YUMMY :wub:

I agree.

I put the Ti Race kit on my Coppa Italia a few weeks ago. They are probably less than 1/2 the weight of the stock cans and the sound is UNBELIEVABLE!

Last I checked the MG main site listed them as an available option again - in UK for the Ballabio (since the V11 doesn't come to the US anymore). So, if that is true, the "better" dealers in the US may be able to order a set for you.

I am a believer!

:bike:

:mg:

Link:

scarichi.jpg

http://www.motoguzzi.it/Nuovi_modelli/v11b...&pagina=acc

I just (mid May '07) went with the TIs on my early green V-11. I replaced my carbon cans that MPH put on (what was then their demo bike) back in '01. Lots of money, but they look great (the angle upwards is greater, and they toe in at the back.)

The VISA just came in and it was worth the substantial coin, imho.

About the Guzzi titanium

I have just started to drive my new! 2003 LeMans and havn´t yet put the titaniums on. Of what I read here its worth waiting for....Next week I´m driving the LeMans to Mandello del lario.....

I tossed a coin between Staintunes and the MG Ti kit, and ended up going with the Ti kit (purchased from MPH Cycles). The cans are actually made by Leo Vince. If I had to do it again, I think I might toss best 2 out of 3. The Ti cans are delicate. The clamps (that go around the cans) on mine fit slightly loose. I had a hard time keeping the rubber gaskets in place, so I made my own from thicker material. My cans are mounted in the low position. I think the the clamps would probably work better with the cans in the high position, because they would be closer to the front of the can where the rigidity is greater. The ECU was plug & play for me. The bike runs like a dream, but slightly rich at low RPM's. The sound is beautiful, but a little on the loud side for the rest of the world. If I restrain my right hand, it's tolerable, but I have a hard time to keep from indulging. If I was carrying a passenger or looking for long term durability, I would go with Staintunes. I've seen them on other bikes, and they just look more practical. For looks, sound, and complete self-indulgence, it's the MG Ti exhaust all the way!

Ken

It's true the Staintunes do not have the look of the factory cans, so they may not be an option. There is no denying the quality of these things though, they fit perfect [better than the factory ones], line up from the back is better than stock, and the sound, well, you even get 2 options there, with or without the slide in baffle. Without is a rich baritone boom, and with the baffle in, is like a baritone boom except at 5 volume instead of 10

My one negative about the Staintunes, is that it makes the factory headers look like shite, obviously a lesser grade of stainless steel.

Ciao, Steve

. . . My one negative about the Staintunes, is that it makes the factory headers look like shite, obviously a lesser grade of stainless steel.

Ciao, Steve

Get out your check book . . . there's a fix for every "negative.! :bier:

Clicky dis picky :grin:

V11SHdrs.jpg

Haven't tried Staintunes, but have had oval Mistral Carbon (which sounded good, and breathed well), and now have the factory Titaniums with Race chip - this is the way for me!!! Fuel economy improved markedly - now don't get the orange light until well into the 140s, sometimes 150s (OEMs lit the lamp at around 125!) - and the performance is markedly better too - crisp response, growls like an Azawakh on guard, and looks good compared with the carbon - lifts the rear end visually from the original overriding darkness - yes, I know Scura means Shade, but sometimes the contrast helps!

Downside? Well, as other respondees have said, Titanium dents easily - don't carry pillions! The fixing is 'loose' i.e. the cans wobble slightly when cold, but they tighten up nicely when well-warmed (don't we all!?). They show up the stock downpipes, but that's easily overcome by cleaning the downpipes with a well-used Scotchbrite and Solvol-Autosol - fact is that stainless yellows when heated but Ti doesn't.

Upside? They look fantastic, and sound fan-twattin-tastic!

Go on get some - you know it makes sense!

Ti_cans.jpg

So my question (I am so ignorant on so many things) is: Is there a difference in either sound or performance between titanium or carbon fiber? I'm assuming the inner workings are the same and therefor the end results will be the same but before I plunk down the large money to replace the exhaust I thought I'd ask. ;)

I believe these questions have been asked so many times over here,how could you have such a thought?

Just kidding. No difference in performance really.Since mapping gives you performance (when changing exhaust)

As for looks goes , the carbon has the prestige on this one.

four_twenty_left.jpgfour_twenty_right.jpgChipping in for the carbon fiber crowd,

The other day a stranger in a car followed me all the way to a parking lot, pulled up and said, rather excitedly,

"Wow! that sounded BEAUTIFUL when you passed me, what is it? Oh! Moto Guzzi! What year...",

I have reason to believe he purchased a Griso from my local dealer within days... Many riders, from many camps all say the thing, THAT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL!

I prefer melifluous :grin:, S.H.

four_twenty_left.jpgfour_twenty_right.jpgChipping in for the carbon fiber crowd,

The other day a stranger in a car followed me all the way to a parking lot, pulled up and said, rather excitedly,

"Wow! that sounded BEAUTIFUL when you passed me, what is it? Oh! Moto Guzzi! What year...",

I have reason to believe he purchased a Griso from my local dealer within days... Many riders, from many camps all say the thing, THAT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL!

I prefer melifluous :grin:, S.H.

all I know is the FBF carbon cans(didn't put the sticker on) sound the best as far as cans go if you want your bike to sound like a Corvette, or perhaps a Camero SS, the bike rumbles and at speed sounds almost identical to a big v8, either way you go you won't be dissapointed. The MG Ti's are quieter than most other performance cans BUT they are the best choice if you get better hangers, or so I think.

Ironically, the loudest cans I've heard, actual cans, are the drilled stockers I had b4, didn't sound as smooth but they were LOUD. total cost to me? $20 drill bit. :rasta:

I rode a Lemans today with Stucci carbon cans and Stucci crossover. The sound difference from my Staintuned V11 is dramatic, very different. The Staintune have a gutteral boom at all revs except idle, are much louder at revs. The Stucci carbons [and I would think non carbon Stucci as well] have a significant 'report' from each cylinder independently, a muted crackle,. I think this has alot to do with the independent flow through nature of the collector, just as entertaining, but very different.

The cosmetic differences are strictly personal in taste, no other is better, just different.

Ciao, Steve