New Buell 1125R launched

I think the side mounted radiators look much better than a big, open transverse mounted version. Much cleaner.

I've always liked the concept of a Harley powered sport bike. Not sure where this Rotax thing will lead. Could be very interesting. If HD had designed the engine it would really be something to behold.

146hp, 375lb dry weight, V twin torque and a stubby little wheelbase. Think it'll wheelie? :lol:

In addition to a sport tour version they'll have to strip it down a bit and throw a set of dirt bike bars on there for the ultimate street fighter/Monster eater/license loser.

I'd ride it...

yeah, i second that.

I think it's a very ugly bike, but the specs of this bike are definitively sexy.

Guest Nogbad

Boys --

No thanks. Like Nogbad, I bouight my Firebolt for its quirkiness.

Those air scoops are UGLY -- and the exhaust looks too complex for the Alabama engineering that freed up my bike.

Remember...post-1553-1184121713_thumb.jpg

I dunno now. I keep thinking about this bike, I looked on the Buell website and this morning an unsolicited brochure arrived from Buell........... My XB is going for a service and tyres tomorrow after trackday abuse last month and I have two more track days booked. Maybe I do want a track biased bike after all........

I realise I'm looking fickle in the light of my other post - but maybe this is the future and it could be good. They have offered a priority test ride in November, and I might take them up on it. After all, with a decent trade in on the XB, and if I let the V11 go only a small amount of cash would get me on one if I like it.

My only reservations are whether a minor drop would be a recipe for expensive radiator damage and fuel mileage. Bad fuel mileage would definitely rule it out. Seems to have the Uly's 21 litre frame capacity - is this to mask major thirst, or to give it a better range than the 14 litre capacity of the current XB12?

Enquiring minds just gotta know...........

I dunno now. I keep thinking about this bike, I looked on the Buell website and this morning an unsolicited brochure arrived from Buell..

It's called "selling to your market," & BMW has only recently decided they needed to do that AND find new buyers from outside the faithful if they're to survive. Most other makes are just catching on to BMW's technique of selling to the same customer over & over &... ;)

My only reservations are whether a minor drop would be a recipe for expensive radiator damage and fuel mileage. Bad fuel mileage would definitely rule it out. Seems to have the Uly's 21 litre frame capacity - is this to mask major thirst, or to give it a better range than the 14 litre capacity of the current XB12?

I doubt it has anything to do with either, & is entirely predicated upon (fanfare of trumpets) ECONOMIES OF SCALE, ie: Buell had to redesign the frame for the Uly & Lightning Long to make them big enough for riders of, shall we say, of a 'less compact stature' as Erik himself; then, order it from their Italian supplier who naturally quoted them a price based upon a certain defect rate, cost of the raw alloy, per unit profit, etc. If Buell standardizes upon this new frame & uses it across more models, their order size goes up, the supplier's defect rate falls (practice makes perfect y'know!), materials cost per unit goes down, the supplier can take a hit on the profit/unit & still make more money, etc. etc. etc. It's like the old joke about "How can you afford to stay in business if you lose money on each one?" "I sell in volume!" :nerd:;)

Not saying that it doesn't have a prodigous thirst, just that that wasn't likely the criterion for use of the Uly frame: more likely, since the Rotax mill is a 72-deg cylinder angle, Buell needed the longer frame to house the larger front/back dimension of the Rotax mill vs. a standard Sposta motator... :luigi:

I still find it less than pleasant to look upon, but hey, that's just me!

:grin:

Ride on!

:race:

Guest Nogbad

It's called "selling to your market," & BMW has only recently decided they needed to do that AND find new buyers from outside the faithful if they're to survive. Most other makes are just catching on to BMW's technique of selling to the same customer over & over &... ;)

I doubt it has anything to do with either, & is entirely predicated upon (fanfare of trumpets) ECONOMIES OF SCALE, ie: Buell had to redesign the frame for the Uly & Lightning Long, & order it from their Italian supplier, who naturally, quoted them a price based upon a certain defect rate, cost of the raw alloy, per unit profit, etc. If Buell standardizes upon this new frame & uses it across more models, their order size goes up, the supplier's defect rate falls (practice makes perfect y'know!), materials cost per unit goes down, they can take a hit on the profit/unit & still make more money, etc. etc. etc. :nerd:

Not saying that it doesn't have a prodigous thirst, just that that wasn't likely the criterion for use of the Uly frame: more likely, since the Rotax mill is a 72-deg cylinder angle, Buell needed the longer frame to house the larger front/back dimension of the Rotax mill vs. a standard Sposta motator... :luigi:

I still find it less than pleasant to look upon, but hey, that's just me!

:grin:

Ride on!

:race:

Cynicism or realism? I think Buell is still heavily influenced by the enthusiasm of its founder, certainly more so than any of the big 4 or even Triumph. I can see where you are coming from, but I think it applies less to Buell than many other manufacturers, and yes, I do feel quite a loyal customer. My XB has been fine so far, reliable and fun and it gets lots of positive comments wherever I have been with it.

The new 1125 grows on you looks wise. If it rides really well it will be tempting indeed, but as I say if the prodigious power is at the expense of huge thirst it won't be the bike for me. The ancient H-D long stroke motor is efficient as well as characterful and reasonably powerful.

I find its 100 bhp, maybe 90 at the wheel is ample for road riding. It is only on the straight at the track that it feels a bit wheezy and not-quite-grunty-enough compared with Jap sportsbikes.

I am almost certainly going to let the V11 go now though. The XB suspension and handling has spoilt me.

Guest Nogbad

you quitter :bbblll:

you'll be back, YOU'LL be BACK :oldgit:

:lol:

You are probably right. I saw a red Norge the other day, and when I am old and have got over my current odd sportsbike obsession, and don't want to ride the track any more, I would love a fat tourer and the Norge looks the mutts nads. Hold on, what am I talking about.... I AM old already!

Last I looked the new Gixxer made 160 hp, but with 50 more pounds: 425... I think it'll be competitive, more than the VR, and that was equally a departure. I think HD is ultimately following BMW and augmenting the lineup and identity.

Hold on, what am I talking about.... I AM old already!

Aw Noggie, you know "old" is only a state of mind. Now, if someone would just help me get up out of this chair, I'll show you what I mean..................................... :oldgit: