Premature Camshaft/tappet failures possible in later models

Guest Mattress

Guest Mattress

I finally made it to GT Motors in Lansing Michigan while they were open. I had no reason to go except I used to live in the area and visit regularly.

I met Larry and he asked me about my Guzzi (took the car this trip to retreive push bike). He mentioned that he had one V11 Coppa Italia with premature camshaft failure at roughly 3500 miles. Similar miles to what I currently have. He suggested I not wait until first valve adjustment service to check valve clearance if I felt like being prudent.

Reason for failure wasn't clear to me. Maybe to Larry - we didn't get that far. But the lobe and / or tappet was worn severly - like 3/16" valve clearance of material worn.

Ferrous residue through out engine and camshaft bearing journal (crankcase) cratered. He got a new engine under warranty for the guy.

Hate to be part of any Guzzi-chondria, but Larry did say he contacted Seattle and Houston - they hadn't heard of it on this vintage. And then within a week one apparently arrived at MPH with same failure?

We saw an 04 Cafe Sport, a few months ago, with the symptoms described.

One of a large number we sold.

One failure.

Chalking it up to poor metallurgy at this point.

No microscopic analysis performed.

No problems seen on others of similar vintage,

many with much higher mileage.

The suspect bike is owned by an "aggressive owner."

But he is not an animal.

Good idea to check your valves.

Then go ride.

Guest NotRight

We saw an 04 Cafe Sport, a few months ago, with the symptoms described.

One of a large number we sold.

One failure.

Chalking it up to poor metallurgy at this point.

No microscopic analysis performed.

No problems seen on others of similar vintage,

many with much higher mileage.

The suspect bike is owned by an "aggressive owner."

But he is not an animal.

Good idea to check your valves.

Then go ride.

Yeah Todd: I'm definitely not saying this is an issue to worry about. If you want me to do a metallurgical analysis I could, but I agree with your assessment. I think perhaps a lobe wasn't surface hardened properly or the depth was insufficient or inconsistent. Maybe even one lobe wasn't even hardened. You can have a coil go out on the induction or as simple as a plugged nozzle on the spray quench so it ends up unhardened or soft in the latter. Maybe not everything got contained a few parts sneaking by to be built.

I work in a plant. I've seen the panic when a pallet of quarantined parts disappears. Did they get built?!!! Ah shit! Thats why the Japanese are adament that no bad parts even be allowed to sit. Once a problem is discovered they ship it all back to the supplier.

As proactive as this forum is, if it was a real significant problem we'd be seeing posts.

Engine related problems seem to be the least reported of any issue on this forum- now and again something rears its head but in general these are tough ol' beasts just like most other big Guzzis.

Guy :helmet: