i screwed up

Qman da hue man

I had no problem with the pawl spring. Icouldn't wait 5 weeks for the warrenty work. Ihad to wipe the bottom of the tranny... opps, bumped those damn little pins that move it all around. After several days of using windows of opportunity, I've reached the conclusion I'm #!!**^ed. Anyone who can help me figure this out will be on my list of greatest figures in history!!! Just can't seem to match things up. HELP!!!

qman

Put the selector wheels to neutral position (they should be marked).

Position each selector fork so it is centred in it's space on the shaft. That is neutral position.

Sideplate should then match up.

KB :sun:

Put the selector wheels to neutral position (they should be marked).

Position each selector fork so it is centred in it's space on the shaft. That is neutral position.

Sideplate should then match up.

the spring broke in first gear, so thats the gear it was in for the surgery.set the pins to where they looked correct, popped on the cover and it wasn't right. i've had the cover on and off so many times now trying to statisticly eliminate each shifter postion and it just hasn't worked. [so much for that line of thought] i was sort of hoping for a way to asess the position of the tranny and maybe go from there, because it seems the cover will fit when its not aligned correctly. i'm jonesing for a ride and there she sits, a reminder of my foolishness. i hate myself, my twinstar just won't cut it for a real ride. HELP!

qman

It doesn't matter what gear it was in when the spring broke. If you look between the selector gears there is a notch in one of them for a pin to pop into when the gears are lined up in neutral......then just line up those selector forks.....it took me some fiddling to get it lined up. Be patient and don't have anyone looking over your shoulder while doing this. I was laying on the garage floor with sweat filling my eyes and my wife getting on my case about playing with my Guzzi.....grrrrr. Take your time and it will happen.....I just used a little high temp black silicone on the mating surfaces and all was well.

How about you turn the gear in the cover one click & try to fit it back on. Theres only so many clicks before you get your match. Process of elimination my friend! I was in your shoes when I was playing with that cover & I think thats what I did. Its tricky because sometimes you'll think you have it but its not quite there. Just either shift only the transmission gears or turn only the gears in the cover. You have I think a one in 6 (or seven if you count nuetral) chance of a match. Of course your odds will improve to 100% very quickly after a try or two.

Once you get the cover to fit back on properly I would suggest a thin layer of permatex or some such gasket stuff. Theres no gasket there from the factory & I put a bead on mine just for peace of mind.

Once you get the cover to fit back on properly I would suggest a thin layer of permatex or some such gasket stuff. Theres no gasket there from the factory & I put a bead on mine just for peace of mind.

Loctite 515 or 518 does the job quite nicely.

Ken

It doesn't matter what gear it was in when the spring broke. If you look between the selector gears there is a notch in one of them for a pin to pop into when the gears are lined up in neutral......then just line up those selector forks.....it took me some fiddling to get it lined up. Be patient and don't have anyone looking over your shoulder while doing this. I was laying on the garage floor with sweat filling my eyes and my wife getting on my case about playing with my Guzzi.....grrrrr. Take your time and it will happen.....I just used a little high temp black silicone on the mating surfaces and all was well.

as best i could get my head and a flashlite in that box i couldn't find a pin in neutral. i can see neutral and each gear according to its size on the mainshaft. heres what happens, from neutral while turning the rear wheel. one click down, wheel stops. first, right? half click up, n, wheel spins. half click up second but the wheel spins, pull up again and the shift stops between 2 & 3. the shifter works like a clock off the bike. i'm baffled, i've adjusted nothing. i'm going to look and scratch again. anymore suggestions please.

thanks to all

qman

as best i could get my head and a flashlite in that box i couldn't find a pin in neutral. i can see neutral and each gear according to its size on the mainshaft. heres what happens, from neutral while turning the rear wheel. one click down, wheel stops. first, right? half click up, n, wheel spins. half click up second but the wheel spins, pull up again and the shift stops between 2 & 3. the shifter works like a clock off the bike. i'm baffled, i've adjusted nothing. i'm going to look and scratch again. anymore suggestions please.

thanks to all

qman

When I did mine I couldn't quite remember what gear I was in when the spring failed (4th or 5th, maybe?). I shifted until the case cover slid into place, and inserted a couple of screws. I then rolled the bike back and forth, shifted down and back up until I found neutral. I then removed the cover, made sure the selector wheel dots were aligned (pointed directly at each other) and reassembled everything. It worked like a charm.

Ken

qman, There are false neutrals in the Guzzi box. When you replaced sideplate, did you position selector wheels in neutral position (marks aligned, pin sat in short spaced detente on back of top wheel) & selector forks centred in spaces on their shafts?

It's a while since I had this apart but as I recall this is a photo of the selector wheels in neutral position (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm no mechanic & gearboxes have always confused me, but to my mind it shouldn't matter what gear you stopped in, once you reposition forks you're disengaging engagement dogs anyhow. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Selector.jpg

Q, you need not look inside the transmission. The selector plate gears are what needs to be aligned dot to dot then ratchet it thru the gears to neutral.....look beneath the selector gears and you will see a pin pop into a slot........for the neutral light, I suppose. That is neutral. Then the fun begins, line up the little forks inside the box so they correspond with the slots in the selector gears.....when the cover goes on easily, you have done it. Look at the picture Baldini has posted, he is correct. I did mine this way and it works fine, I also have no leaks from the box, lucky me. You can do it.

Q, you need not look inside the transmission. The selector plate gears are what needs to be aligned dot to dot then ratchet it thru the gears to neutral.....look beneath the selector gears and you will see a pin pop into a slot........for the neutral light, I suppose. That is neutral. Then the fun begins, line up the little forks inside the box so they correspond with the slots in the selector gears.....when the cover goes on easily, you have done it. Look at the picture Baldini has posted, he is correct. I did mine this way and it works fine, I also have no leaks from the box, lucky me. You can do it.

gentlemen mger's,

you've all been correct all along. dots, dots, dots.it's all so beautifully simple.i'm the idiot,the short sited long seeing fool. humbled again by the learning curve. the selctor gears were misaligned due to being a self appointed genius. i shall say no more. i'm airborne again and can't be happier. i think i was having spontainious hallucinations stareing in the box while spinning the wheel. it was kinda fun, but i'm glad it's over. i really have to thank you all who took time to help. i owe you at least a meal, so if you happen to cruisin' thru... as a matter of fact, anyone with a v twin thats not overly loud and alinged in a forward rear fashion can drop in for a feed. [i feed enough of those other guys]

p.s. those of you whom unfotunately may have the chance to decide whether or not to perform this operation, it is not high on the scale of difficulty. just pay attention to the available information a little better than i did!

happy trails,

qman