Making a Cushier Cush Drive

Greg Field

I think I need to buy a set just for the hell of it.

Tempted myself! Ratchethack would probably hunt me down just to mock me about it tho'... :lol:

• 3 months later...

I still wonder how rubber pucks affect global warming...

Anyone?

Well, making them undoubtedly adds to the carbon footprint of the bike. Luckily, plants need C02 so it's zero sum, as long as we can stop the 3rd world from cutting down all the rainforests. Buy only paper made from southern USA loblolly pine plantation trees! :D

This just in: on ebay, the urethane pucks were listed again, & I asked what durometer they were: the reply stated that the stock units tested out at 85 durometer [i'm certain on the "A" scale] & they'd made theirs at 90. I responded that the stockers were too hard & I'd be interested if they made some at 75A, & to let me know if they did so. We'll see what happens...

All the urethane bushings I've bought were "stiffer" than the stock rubber components, both for suspension bushings and motor mounts.

I've got that whole Swiss cheese thing on my list of more things to do . . .

Im a sucker for old technical books, I was reading one on Marine Diesel engines written by John Lamb. I

would highly recommend this book to any Guzzi rat, it gave me a whole new appreciation on the workings of

an internal combustion engine.

One of the things John Lamb pointed out is that rubber is Non compressible, it just deforms, it should not be

constrained, he was referring to "O" rings, but the same should apply to the cush drive.

In the pictures it looks as though the rubber wedges have no room to deform. Drilling a series of holes as

discussed should provide room for the wedges to squish, it's on my list of improvements to make also.

I'll be lucky to get all my work done before next riding season. :rasta:

I helped my buddy put his 70s Kawasaki back together, it has a similar arrangement in the rear hub, I think

he thought I was crazy when I suggested he drill his. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

All the urethane bushings I've bought were "stiffer" than the stock rubber components, both for suspension bushings and motor mounts.

I've got that whole Swiss cheese thing on my list of more things to do . . .

Well, the ebay source replied back that he can do the bushings in a 70 durometer if so desired. I like the idea of urethane if only because of the permanence [the stuff will outlive cockroaches] but it would still have to be drilled as the stock rubber pucks require; as KiwiRoy pointed out, with no room for deformation, the stock ones are too hard by virtue of just filling up the available space. However, over time, the rubber will abrade & degrade, leaving more room for deforming and less resistance to doing so.

Just wanted to point out the availability of the urethane units for anyone still interested [Dlaing?] in going down that road... :luigi:

Just wanted to point out the availability of the urethane units for anyone still interested [Dlaing?] in going down that road... :luigi:

For some reason, Dlaing disappeared along with Ratchethack. I try hard to put that up as pure coincidence...

For some reason, Dlaing disappeared along with Ratchethack. I try hard to put that up as pure coincidence...

Do you think? I guess I hadn't thought of that possibility...

Do you think? I guess I hadn't thought of that possibility...

What are the odds that Dlaing and Ratchethack both sold their v11's and bought some other new obscure bikes at the same time? Like maybe the new Norton.

It would just be too rich if they both ended up with the same bike and are bickering on some other Norton based v11lemans.com type site! :grin:

Anything's possible! Although they both had so much data complied on the V11 (even though in large part it was total opposites between them) that I can't imagine they (he?) just sold the bike(s). :grin: Maybe they moved up the evolution scale and ride big, modern BMW's now?

Anything's possible! Although they both had so much data complied on the V11 (even though in large part it was total opposites between them) that I can't imagine they (he?) just sold the bike(s). :grin: Maybe they moved up the evolution scale and ride big, modern BMW's now?

Since they both were from San Diego I figured R hunted down D after being banned since he was one of his main board enemies. Not long after perhaps he headed up the coast. Next thing you know Greg has vanished. I don't know for sure but if I were GuzziMoto I'd sleep with one eye open :whistle:

I'd be interested in knowing how the 70's work out...have to do a major teardown this summer when too hot to ride.

Docc, did you find poly bushings for V11 somewhere?

Ekchooalee, Dangerous Dave pretty much dropped off the list before Ratchet got banned, iirc.

In private email exchanges, Ratchet is off riding his now much happier V11 [see the thread on adapting the GM temp sensor for why it's running so much better in hot weather & traffic now...] :luigi:

Both of them seemed too happy w/ their Guzzis to defect, so I don't think they've gone over to the brand w/ sagging jugs: they both seem to like their jugs "perky." I know I do! :thumbsup:

According to Ratch', he & Dave actually tended to be cordial when they would run across one another in meatspace: they apparently saved their philosophical ire for here on V11lm.com! :rolleyes:

Skitzophrenia. Nuff said.

But as for the wedges, some individual has started making pucks for the Marchesini rims and selling them to racers with some success, the OE wear quickly and are costly to replace. Perhaps he/she has branched out to other makes with similar maladies.