Day out with Orson

Martin Barrett

I’d managed to dissuade Orson from a trip into London and a plan was hatched, this is my account.

orsontrip.jpg

Like a child before Christmas I was unable to sleep and after a restless night I was up before my alarm and on the road by 6am [1]. The weather forecast was for light showers, so I’d packed my over suit just in case. Just approaching Birmingham on the M6 when there was the first spots of rain, with dark clouds overhead and the services only ½ a mile away I decided to stop and put them on. Pulled up in the car park and the rain had gone, I decided to carry on the next 20 miles or so to our meeting point with out them. Again it started to rain on the approach to the services but again didn’t last long enough to bother about. If this is light showers no problem.

I’d arrived an hour early [2], I’d made provision for this and did the Geocache that’s also located at the services, killed all of 10 minutes.

In to the services to await Orson. Settled down with a large cup of coffee and my mp3 player. After about 45 minutes I realised I had a missed call on my mobile at 0835. No answer phone message so obviously just reporting was running late, no point in ringing back as now would be on the bike. So I’m now expecting him between 0930-0945.

At 0905 the answer phone message arrives !!! It’s Bill who’d been putting Orson up, explains he’s running late and had to come back for his camera. That’s fine still expecting him 0930-0945.

0950 phone rings it’s Bill checking I’d got the message , he’s amazed that Orson is not there, thought it would be 0920 but did say he might have had to stop for fuel.

IMG_0682.jpg

As the clock moves past 10 it rain arrives, this time it’s a proper shower and last for a good ½ hour. Now I’m starting to worry. Needlessly, as you know, as at 1045 he arrives.

After our brief hellos we top up our tanks and head off. One stop on the M42 and then across country Bromsgrove [3] and then Kidderminster [4].

Do not believe the signs saying ring road. It doesn’t go all the way around its more a bypass. Knowing I wanted to go west I lead us left down to the end of the ring road so we could retrace our steps and go the right way. We had run into a few smatterings of rain but nothing to worry about, through it and then dried out in matters of minutes. So it continued until we ran into a shower that just got heavier and heavier and soon was a deluge. Missed the turn, stopped to look at the map under a garage canopy, seemed the junction we needed was just at the edge of town , not 50yds behind us. So on wards we pressed not really able to see anything. Gone about 5 miles when Gave up, Knew I’d missed the turn but luckily the rain had stopped. Check of map and retraced steps. The rain had gone. Found the turning and turned up into the hills. Outstanding amounts of water running down the road. No wonder my suit had leaked and my gloves were sodden. We took a photo of the folly tower from the end of the road but as were running so late and so soggy a walk up to it was not even considered [5].

Now headed South West, no more heavy rain and the wind nicely drying us off. Another navigation error. I’d picked up the wrong minor road and it brought us out on to the main road further west than envisage so my quick right and then left turned in to a quick right and where’s the turn for about 10 miles. The problem is that several of the villages have very similar names. Eventually stopped to check the map and retrace.

The next stop was a Dovecote in what was once described as England’s prettiest village [6], there also is a pre-war AA phone box, so broken down members could phone for assistance.

IMG_0690.jpg

Here is a Guzzi and a Triumph not broken down.

Our route takes us past Hergest ridge (Mike Oldfield’s second album was named and recorded here) Our main concern is Orson’s lack of tank range. He’s on to reserve by the time were in the vicinity of my next landmark a WW1 field gun mounted on top of a hill [7].

It would be a pimple in any photo from the road, and as I’m not going for an all rounder this year I don’t even take a general area photo that would score me the location but drop some points. But head to Buith Wells for fuel [8]. Having fuelled and paid we push the bikes aside whilst we consult the map, Orson’s gloves disappear off the pump!!! Luckily it wasn’t his helmet. Fortunately he had some heavy winter ones with him.

We then head south east to Hay on Wye [9] and then pick up a single track road across the Black mountains, past “Lord Hereford’s Knob” I’ve still to notice this mountain peak, obviously not very big. Across the tops is open moor[10]

014314_767af90b.jpg

014312_2de1fac4.jpg

Pictures from geograph

but the slopes are heavily treed with steep banks, very entertaining meeting on coming cars. Back on to major roads [11] and soon caught up in road works. Miss the turn to Blaenavon [12], but is worth the retrace as again rugged moor.

Do the Photos of the Iron works and then head up to Breacon [13] for Fish & Chips for tea before saying our good byes. Leaving Orson to find a B&B and I head south to pick up the M4 [15] for the 200+ mile slog home[16].

In all I did 530 miles, of which about 200 was with Orson, I was away from home 0600-2115, and spent 2 ¾ hours sat in a motorway service staion. I had a damp patch, but once finished with the deluge the day was quite good. 3 days later a lot of that part of England is flooded.

Orsons report can be found on STN

Nice report and nice pics Martin! Glad to see that the wet weather has not put you guys off!

I like Orson's Thruxton! What was the tank range on it?

Guy :helmet:

Runs on to reserve around about 100miles, hasn't pushed it to empty so 120 max.

He did say that struggled to keep up with the "mighty mighty goose" (made Debs pull a face) and faired better knocking a few mph off the following day. Perhaps not struggled but felt more comfortable.

Nice trip Martin. Do you use the Garmin eTrex to navigate motorcycle trips?

No , just for geocaching. I made up notes to put in the tank bag

M42 J1 – L A38 Bromsgrove

R A448 Kidderminster

L A456 Bewdley

R A4117 Ludlow

Craven Arms R B4368

L Lower Dinchope

35 Flounders Folly – up on hill to right of road after LD

I colour coded the R & L - first time usually use crows feet diagrams

Having reached Kidderminster faced with the ring road sign I went left as opposed Right to A456 Leominster. Doesn't always work :D The E-trex wouldn't have helped.

Tried the Tom Tom but is a car set so not waterproof and limited battery, need to wire in a outlet socket and put in waterproof bag, but might over heat.

Great trip you guys! :thumbsup:

l was thinking about you over in Blighty land and hope that you are high and dry, we lived in Bristol a life time ago during the drought of '76 and to think that alot of that part of the world is battling with too much water now...wow!

here's hoping that the water for the breweries :bier: is not effected

:bier:

Cheers

Van

I like Orson's Thruxton! What was the tank range on it?

actually, the tank range is 125 miles with about 10 more on reserve. With those clip ons, you wouldn't want to do many more miles anyways :D

I enjoy the rorty, torquey character of the parallel twin and love the sound it makes with the Triumph aftermarket peashooters :wub:

but, it's definitely a poseur's bike :cheese: That becomes evident when trying to keep up with Martin's goose. The Guzzis are oh so stable while cornering while the Trumpet feels like a bit of a bicycle. Maybe some upgraded suspension might help.

That said, when left to it's own devices on narrow, English backroads, it performs reasonably well.

Picture035-1.jpg

Hi Martin and Orson,

thanks for the pics. Glad to see that Orson is yet again touring the world :drink:

I talked to an English friend of mine yesterday and she said that everything is more or less flooded in Ol' Blimey. True? It's been raining cats and dogs here in Denmark for God knows how long.....

Good luck to you both.

Best regards

Søren

• 1 month later...
Guest Catenaccio

Beautiful pics and great report. I have 2 Triumphs and enjoy them immensely. Although to be sure, neither is a Thruxton, which looks great but at the expense of rider comfort and visibility.