Is the 1000S rapidly appreciating?

canada goose

Recently from eBay:

#1 auction was won on July 22 for US $12,000.

#2 auction was ended on July 18 at US $8,350 with the reserve not met.

#3 auction was won on July 31 for US $10,600.

Ken

1000s_1.JPG1000s_2.JPG1000s_3.JPG

The 1000S is a verey cool looking bike. A buddy of mine has one here in Vancouver, he mentioned that they are getting up in price. That said, E-bay is not an example of what true pricing is. Auctions build in a feeding frenzy which enhances pricing.

Ciao, Steve

I rode one for 5 years- I was silly to sell it!

They sell for a lot more than the LMV which is basically the same bike with more "modern" cycle parts.

A good 1000S will fetch about £3500- a LMV about £2500.

The earlier models with the 40mm delortos and big valves are more sought after than the later girly versions with 38mm carbs and the SP111 engine.

Guy :helmet:

The 1000S is a verey cool looking bike. A buddy of mine has one here in Vancouver, he mentioned that they are getting up in price. That said, E-bay is not an example of what true pricing is. Auctions build in a feeding frenzy which enhances pricing.

Ciao, Steve

There are three recent Guzzis that do well at auction: V7 Sport, Le Mans I and '75 Eldorado Police. As prices at auction have spiraled up examples appeared out of barns and collections to meet the demand. Cubic dollars were spent on restorations of these "rare" bikes until the cost of restoration exceeded the price at auction.

The 1000s is following the same pattern. The auctions you cited look to be original bikes with low miles. The next wave will be garage queens from private collections and then expensive restorations.

Anyone with experience with big dollar auctioneering knows that the process is crooked. Ebay is no different that Barret-Jackson or Sothebys. Anyone want a $100K Hemi Cuda? It's an authentic reproduction made of new parts in a hot rod shop...

There is a contemporary artist named Cy Twombly who had a better grasp of this than most. He produced very few paintings over the years and set his prices high. When his work came up for auction he would bid for the paintings himself against collectors and museums to ensure that prices stayed high. A large Twombly painting goes for millions today due to his manipulation of the market.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6910377.stm

DW

Care to elaborate on that statement?

I remember hearing of either Sotheby's, Christies, or both have been investigated for fraud or something close to that.

When big money is involved you really really have to do your own homework & trust no one.

Nice though it is...It is a bit of a charlatan......

It apes the graphics of the earlier generation......

The real deal is the V7S or 750-S3 :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

...and talking of charlatans! Here is my Scura too! ;):blush:

750S3.jpg

V11_S317a.jpg