tank repair

big unit

V11 sport petrol tank, mine has slight damage from where the fairing rubbed onto the tank and cut a 3mm (1/8 of an inch) deep slice at the bottom edge of the tank. Any suggestions on how to repair would be of great help.

Cheers.

Guest PAULSMART

Araldite epoxy - would make a good repair / filler.

I used it for various repairs in the past without any problems.

Paul

If the gap is too big, the obvious solution is a little fiberglass.

But I would bet epoxy will bond much better than polyester resin.

I am not sure what Araldite is. Perhaps it is too thick to lay up fiberglass.

A boat suppy store should have what you need.

Mr. Big,

The tank is, I think, ABS. I'd try these guys Urethane Supply Company. The PlastiFix product worked very well on my ABS side covers and front fender. When the repairs were done I honestly could not tell the new material from the original stuff. I've worked with fiberglass a bit and I very much doubt I could have made as effective a repair with 'glass and I can say for sure PlastiFix was much faster, easier to do and much easier to clean up. JMHO.

Good luck on the fix,

Lex

The JB Weld I applied to mine has stuck well. I smeared a bit on a good area as well as the groove and tried to remove it today before refitting the tank. It bonded very well to the plastic.

I was under the impression these tanks were nylon with a white PVC coating inside? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Rich,

I can give you a very firm I don't know as to the material used to make the gas tank. Based on the Identify plastic table at USC it could be ABS, it could be a Nylon blend or it could be a couple of others. I partly pulled my tank but couldn't find the symbol (normally a triangle with a number or letters like PPO) that identify the material. The symbol must be under the insulating material, I checked all of the tank not covered in insulator and under the gas cap/ chin pad, no luck. Anybody have a tank apart they can check?

Lex

I think there is PE on it, PE= Polyethylene

Semiflexible, melts & smears when grinding, usually semi-translucent. Overflow tanks, inner fender panels, valences, interior trim panels, RV water storage tanks, gas tanks Method B w/ polyethylene rod (5003R4) or Method C w/ FiberFlex (5003R10) Applying filler or painting is nearly impossible

• 2 weeks later...
Guest voigtstr

I too have just noticed where the fairing has vibrated agains the tank and cut into the surface.

Next service I'll make a warranty claim. Something is obviosly alligned incorrectly if the fairing can rub on the tank.

I'm still waiting for a realistic solution to the poor paint finish on the engine an pinion wheel cover... on the engine it bubbles.... on the pinion wheel it just flakes off.

the only real solution I think I will accept is if they strip engine down to an empty case and paint the outside, or give me a nice new engine with the better paint job.

With the tank I expect nothing less than replace the tank with a new one and re alligning the fairing so that it doesnt rub.