Tank Bags...sigh

Dr Gil

I'm finding that my current tank bag of choice, the Tour Master 21 Liter is starting to wear out the raised "leather?" section on my fuel tank. This isn't good. :(

I've owned the MG tank bag and didn't much care for it. I didn't like the backwards opening flap (opening from the front on the windward side) and didn't much care for leaving the base footprint on the bike all the time.

So maybe I'm fussy. I'm looking for the "perfect" bag for my '02 Le Mans.

It seems there was a thread at one time (can't find it in a search) where someone mentioned a bag they had that straddled the middle hump and that they were quite happy with. This sounds more like what I'm hoping for.

Am I asking for too much to want a tankbag that is practical and doesn't damage my beloved bike? :huh2:

Am I asking for too much to want a tankbag that is practical and doesn't damage my beloved bike? :huh2:

No not really at all! I'm the 'nuck that bought your MG bag and I know what you mean about it's limitations. It's a pain to install and remove, and the underlying attachment is fuggly. I did make a synthetic sheepskin sub pad that has kept the paint good on my Rosso....so that is one option. Any dirt or grit that encounters the stock pad will make it into sandpaper!! :bbblll:

Andy

This is what I've been using for the last year and I'm very pleased with it.

LuggageLocker

The bike in the attached photo is not mine. Mine has the newer style tank without the raised "chinpad" or whatever the hell it's called. Because the filler ring of a V11 is slightly more recessed then other bikes, I had to

slightly shim the mounting ring, so the bag wouldn't rub the tank, yet still allow the filler cap to swing open. It all works fine. The LeMans in the photo has the earlier style tank with the "chinpad". I'm guessing the mounting ring would have to be shimmed even more on these bikes.

The optional Lexel material of the bag has a very nice feel. The bag is locked to the bike or you can unlock it and carry it away in about 10 seconds.

If I was starting again, I would seriously consider SW-Motech. They "borrowed" the Luggage Locker design and improved upon it. They don't list a V11 application, but I'm sure it could be sorted out.

Ken

6_l.jpg

I have 2 of those tank pads, how much you think $30 shipped to you? $25? if you want to get more use out of your bag it could be a decent band-aid. :huh2: I was going to keep my original and got a second to recover it but then found the coveted CF chin guard. :grin:

Mine came with the Factory tank bag. I love the bag but hat ehow it mounts. I bought a Luggage Locker. Its not as nice as the factory bag and doesn't have the backpack straps but it is easier to remove and won't mess up the paint. However, the lock on mine popped out this weekend. I might make a hybrid between the two, attach the Guzzi bag to a plate that locks into the Luggage Locker base. If I can reglue the lock in place that is. I also wish the mounting flanges were metal and not plastic. Good lug, a good bag is hard to find.

Dave.

If I was starting again, I would seriously consider SW-Motech. They "borrowed" the Luggage Locker design and improved upon it. They don't list a V11 application, but I'm sure it could be sorted out.

Ken

I have a SWMotech bag on my V11, it is great - easy to take on and off at fuel stops. I have mounted a 1/4" sheet of rubber to the leading edge to stop it rubbing on the top of tank pad. They do make a tank ring for the V11 and it is easy to fit.

The e-mail address is noRRus.net [info@noRRus.net] and the guy who helped me is Markus Normann ( he does e-mail in English) very helpful.

I bought the "Engage Sport" bag which you hopefully should be able to see in the attached photo (I hope)

Gregg

Here is another option. I saw this in Cycle Canada magazine yesterday.

Gears Canada

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the "Genesis". The mounting pad has suction cups for plastic tanks and a gas filler access hole. The bag detaches quickly. Unfortunately it won't be available until December. I have a set of saddlebags from this outfit. They were inexpensive and the quality was good.

Ken

I've got an RKA tankbag for my Scura and it's a great. Big, expandable and stable. A friend has had RKA tank and saddlebags for about 10 years and they're holding up great.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A01%20Products/prod.html

I believe my bag is the 25 liter one. Dr. Gil, you're in Northern California right? Well these folk are in Windsor so you can ride you bike there and check out the options. I hear they're very nice people.

johnk

I've got an RKA tankbag for my Scura and it's a great. Big, expandable and stable. A friend has had RKA tank and saddlebags for about 10 years and they're holding up great.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A01%20Products/prod.html

I believe my bag is the 25 liter one. Dr. Gil, you're in Northern California right? Well these folk are in Windsor so you can ride you bike there and check out the options. I hear they're very nice people.

johnk

I'm with John on the RKA. I've had a couple of their products over the years and the quality is terrific. Never any paint damage and the underside material they use grips the Guzzi's tank pad so it doesn't slip around. I use the mini on this bike, I see it has evolved into an expandable bag since I bought mine.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/...ld%20Sheet.html

That's a great looking Greenie. What is the fairing?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that ! I quite like it too ! Not wanting to highjack the thread but : It is a custom fairing which was marked as designed for a Kawasaki 1100 from a fibreglass manufacturer in the Western suburbs of Sydney. I searched his rack full of moulds and samples for about 3 hours one Saturday until I found this one which seemed to suit the shape of the bike, headlight width and my helmet height when on the bike. I manufactured some support brackets from stainless steel which mount through the Lever pivot points.

Gregg

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that ! I quite like it too ! Not wanting to highlight the thread but : It is a custom fairing which was marked as designed for a Kawasaki 1100 from a fibreglass manufacturer in the Western suburbs of Sydney. I searched his rack full of moulds and samples for about 3 hours one Saturday until I found this one which seemed to suit the shape of the bike, headlight width and my helmet height when on the bike. I manufactured some support brackets from stainless steel which mount through the Lever pivot points.

Gregg

Well done!

Ken

This tankbag is from FAMSA, an Italian company held in high regard on the www.multistrada.net site, but a bit pricey... :(

No direct experience with any FAMSA products, although I am interested in the 308 saddlebags which have apparently been discontinued, at least unavailable here in the U.S. and doubly :(:( pricey to ship from UK where I've found a set.

Anyway, on to the tankbag. It is listed as a Moto Guzzi V11 specific model, but shown here on an Aprilia Tuono. Somebody should buy one and do a write-up. Not me though :rasta:

http://www.helmetheadcyclegear.com/cgi-bin...Equipment_Italy