Intermittent Tachometer

Dr Gil

For the love of... :huh2:

Am I right in my thinking it's a charging problem? Any thoughts?

It absolutely sounds like a charging problem. I went through this a few months ago and thanks to all the great info on this forum I was able to quickly determine that my voltage regulator had quit. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=11556&hl=

There's a lot more info on troubleshooting the charging system available on this site if you search a bit.

Good luck!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

I've decided to bite the bullet on this one and trailer the mighty Guzzi down to my local dealership (250 miles away). I am totally ignorant about electrics and this one is over my head.

While there I'm having them put it on the dyno and tune in the Power Commander. Something I've been meaning to do anyway.

You guys are aces.

• 6 months later...
The tach is electric and triggered by the ECU. It is common to get a sketchy ground inside the instrument. Do a search as calisson had posted a handy fix.

With the other lights intermittent as well I would not rule out some relationship. The terminal stacks on the battery should be checked for tightness (easy) and the connectors along the frame toward the front of the tank (less easy) pulled,cleaned and lubed.

Hi I have searched the forum for this handy fix but cant find follow up...

My tacho is floating around the actual value and I need definiltely to fix this....

Anyone fixed similar problem..?? It was snowing by the way at the time it started failing.. asking for trouble maybe.

Jo.

Guest drknow
Hi I have searched the forum for this handy fix but cant find follow up...

My tacho is floating around the actual value and I need definiltely to fix this....

Anyone fixed similar problem..?? It was snowing by the way at the time it started failing.. asking for trouble maybe.

Jo.

Hi, i think the two threads you need are:

open up your Veglia

Another Tach Failure

Let us know how it goes. The White faced Vaguelia (stolen from Carl) on my Centauro is bouncing all over and rests at 1000 rpm.

dk

Hi, i think the two threads you need are:

open up your Veglia

Another Tach Failure

Let us know how it goes. The White faced Vaguelia (stolen from Carl) on my Centauro is bouncing all over and rests at 1000 rpm.

dk

Hi again,

Thanks for the links dk.. I had a good time reading about this opening up of the instruments. I did this exactly 100% the same way for my V35tt that was stolen from me and was drowned. (both instruments filled with mud) I destroyed a 2nd hand instrument opening from the top glass before deciding to cut them in half. Also the aluminium tape is in there for years now and I am so relieved I am not the only one doing this asshole operation.. but I am a little hesitating redoing it on my 'new' V11. Have to look in the mirror the rest of my life and live with the fact I am the one destroying precision instruments again. Even if it works afterwards it can be quite a scar on your ego as engineer.

One more thing, In Holland there are sounds of paying mile-tax in the near future, How would it look to an outsider if the instruments have been tampered with..

So. I need to find out if it is nothing else before I do the surgery and fix that tiny lead.. And second, if I do so, have to fix it so good it looks better than new. Challenging, will keep you posted. Thanks again for your help.

Jo.

Search for a professional tach repair shop if you're afraid now of cutting it again. They remove the aluminum ring and afterwords press on a new one. Normally you find them when you search for VDO Service, Kienzle Service or the like. Their business is looking after lorry instruments and comparable items.

Unless a cable or one of the two springs is broken an effective repair is unlikely. I once have posted pictures here, there is nothing inside what could be repaired. One IC, probably custom build and sold for Veglia and some smaller el.parts that shouldn't give up.

BTW, the inner parts and PCB are mounted on a plastic part, well isolated with no connection to the housing anyway. The one ground cable to the housing is needed for the bulb only. The other three cables are ground, voltage and signal. You may follow these cables and maybe find a loose connexion or something like that, but an additional ground to the housing is just wasted time.

Hubert

they're no precision instruments anyway, the Veglias - it's the cheapest crap available. The system they use is at least 30 years old now.

Guest drknow
BTW, the inner parts and PCB are mounted on a plastic part, well isolated with no connection to the housing anyway. The one ground cable to the housing is needed for the bulb only. The other three cables are ground, voltage and signal. You may follow these cables and maybe find a loose connexion or something like that, but an additional ground to the housing is just wasted time.

That's wierd, callison said:

The problem with a lot of these tachs is that the case

mounting studs are the ground return path for the meter movement.

Although there are three wires going to the tach and one of them is a ground

lead, it is apparently only a ground lead for the electronics - not the meter

movement itself.

Is it possible that the earlier versions on the sports and short frame v11s are one style, and the later versions another?

dk

Search for a professional tach repair shop if you're afraid now of cutting it again. They remove the aluminum ring and afterwords press on a new one. Normally you find them when you search for VDO Service, Kienzle Service or the like. Their business is looking after lorry instruments and comparable items.

Unless a cable or one of the two springs is broken an effective repair is unlikely. I once have posted pictures here, there is nothing inside what could be repaired. One IC, probably custom build and sold for Veglia and some smaller el.parts that shouldn't give up.

Hubert

they're no precision instruments anyway, the Veglias - it's the cheapest crap available. The system they use is at least 30 years old now.

Hubert, Thanks your input here. Cutting it in half has some advantages so I am still considering it. Mayor advantage it that it will look from the top exactly the same way as now, that is already comforting. Another good thing is if it doesnt work it can be opened easily.. Only the aluminium tape is the finishing touch that will always be in the back of my head.. Maybe I'll brainstorm about this before cutting it. How to nicely join the two halfs .. maybe epoxy and paintsrpaying..

Another thing is, what can be the cause as mine is still working but gently dancing. If it is in and than out aging it can be a broken wire that touches once in a while. This is more curious.

But thnaks, will reconsider.

Jo.

Hi again,

One more thing, In Holland there are sounds of paying mile-tax in the near future, How would it look to an outsider if the instruments have been tampered with..

WRT to this stupid mile-tax: I'm going to ride with speedo cable disconnected and pay nothing! :D

Only speeding tickets... ;)

Guest drknow
WRT to this stupid mile-tax: I'm going to ride with speedo cable disconnected and pay nothing! :D

Only speeding tickets... ;)

Guess they won't be selling as many speedo cables in the Netherlands any more.

:lol:

dk

Another thing is, what can be the cause as mine is still working but gently dancing. ...

Gently dancing could be normal, I think at least. As long as you're talking about Veglias. They only have one coil, working against those two connecting springs. That's in my eyes the reason why this system is very prone to waving. The newer tachs have a better system, using two coils. This gives a much stiffer needle.

Hubert

PS

I also cut mine open when I think I need a look inside. The mentioned service shops are quite rare nowadays.

Is it possible that the earlier versions on the sports and short frame v11s are one style, and the later versions another?

The systems are different, but I think this is tied to the manufacturer. I'm talking of my KR Veglia with white scales. Maybe Carl can say a word about what he had opened then. Anyway, the idea of separate grounds for electronics and what he called movement doesn't sound very likely. I even think this is just wrong.

Hubert

The systems are different, but I think this is tied to the manufacturer. I'm talking of my KR Veglia with white scales. Maybe Carl can say a word about what he had opened then. Anyway, the idea of separate grounds for electronics and what he called movement doesn't sound very likely. I even think this is just wrong.

Hubert

I think I've got it guys. :)

I've now had numerous "electrical glitches" happening on the Le Mans. Sudden battery failure (2), failure to start (3) and occasional (reliable) misfires. I recently had the honor of sharing a house with a legendary Moto Guzzi mechanic and 4 other Guzzi owners much more knowledgeable than myself. Of course I put my ongoing problems to them...every single one came up with the same diagnosis...relays. :thumbsup:

I had just replace my relays 2 years ago but I bought in. I ordered up a new set of GEI's and installed them.

I've had no problems on any of these fronts since. I'm not saying that this was the answer or that the problem is solved but will say that I've not had a problem (knock on wood) since replacing them. Be forewarded that all my problems were "intermittent" and that they could raise their ugly heads unexpectedly sometime in the future.

Simple, easy, fingers crossed. :luigi:

The current for the tach has to pass the starter relay and the light relay. I would check these first when the tach fails.

When the head lamp and the idiot lights work while the tach fails, it is supposedly not caused by the relays.

I suspect Dr. Gil owes you a beer :D