Loose Front Crossover Pipe

polebridge

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I just noticed that the front crossover pipe is completely loose on my V11. It is not falling out or anything like that it's just that it has pulled out a little on both sides and is very loose.

I think this may have been caused by the FBF X-pipe I installed. When I installed it last year I noticed that it didn't fit perfectly on the exhasut pipes and I think it is applying a bit of 'outward' pressure on them. This in turn has caused the front crossover pipe to work its was loose. Maybe?

Anyway, I am considering putting the stock X-pipe back on. Has anyone expereinced this? For those out there that have installed the Stucchi or Mistral x-pipe (and have a front crossover pipe), have you had any issues with this?

Thanks

I have a standard crossover, but have had endless problems with various joints on my exhaust system. It was disturbed to fit my techno pannier carriers, silencer mount. I've had both headers crack. Been unable to prevent the silencer vibrating in the collector joint, thinning both parts out. The silencer mounting brackets have snapped 2x1 and 1x1.

On one trip I'd lost an exhaust stud bolt, this allowed the pipes to splay and the balance pipe even fell out

I find it impossible to get a lasting tight seal on the balance pipe. I've tried Aaron Bards shims but they didn't help.

I've even had to take the clamp internals from the header/crossover joint to replace the header/balance knackered ones.

I'd be tempted to replace the headers for either pre 02 ones or Racer X's to run without the balance pipe.

Guest ratchethack

Martin, FWIW, I have a riding Pal with a '03 LM who suffered wot sounds like identical symptoms with many many return trips to the dealership for temporary crossover seal fixes. The crossover would loosen up every time and bang on the alternator cover, making a horrific racket. <_< It was a dreckfest and a proportion of grief I wouldn't tolerate, and he got to the point where he wouldn't either... I think he had his ensuing header cracks we-welded 3 times before he finally had the crossover "spigots" on the headers welded shut. No problems since, and no detectable performance effects of removing the front crossover, as has been confirmed independently on the dyno by Todd Eagan (Racer X), of GuzziTech and DynoJet fame. -_-

Good luck.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I just noticed that the front crossover pipe is completely loose on my V11. It is not falling out or anything like that it's just that it has pulled out a little on both sides and is very loose.

I think this may have been caused by the FBF X-pipe I installed. When I installed it last year I noticed that it didn't fit perfectly on the exhasut pipes and I think it is applying a bit of 'outward' pressure on them. This in turn has caused the front crossover pipe to work its was loose. Maybe?

Anyway, I am considering putting the stock X-pipe back on. Has anyone expereinced this? For those out there that have installed the Stucchi or Mistral x-pipe (and have a front crossover pipe), have you had any issues with this?

Thanks

As a matter of fact - yes!

I just installed a Mistral X-over last weekend... somebody on wildguzzi posted pics of his new HD that came from the factory (and after dealer "set-up") without exhaust flange bolts on it!

It reminded me to double check everything on my exhaust system, so this morning before work I checked, and damned if that front crossover between the head pipes doesn't swing back and forth as you describe.

Not sure it is a problem - but I would love to hear if it is, or is not, from somebody who is "in the know" about these things.

:huh2:

Guest ratchethack

PB, I don't b'lieve the problem has any relationship to the under-trans crossover. FWIW, my Pal's '03 LM (as previously mentioned) suffered the same problems with the Stucchi crossover as he did with the stock one, and switched them out several times chasing a cure for the dreaded front crossover plague. . . :whistle:

FWIW (Part II), he says it's a "late '03", but then often refers to it as a "'04", which is somewhat confusing, and I got no clue as to which it "really" is. . . :huh2:

Thanks everyone. It looks like you have saved me the trouble of re-installing the stock X-Pipe.

Anyone ever install a complete after market exhaust system on one of these (or know a source for one)?

I understand that the older model V11s did not have the front pipe. Maybe instead of welding the things shut I sould just install a set of the older pipes?

Thanks everyone. It looks like you have saved me the trouble of re-installing the stock X-Pipe.

Anyone ever install a complete after market exhaust system on one of these (or know a source for one)?

I understand that the older model V11s did not have the front pipe. Maybe instead of welding the things shut I sould just install a set of the older pipes?

Mine is "almost complete."

I've gone from OEM exhaust to MG Titanium pipes; OEM x-over to Mistral; thinking seriously of buying Racer X's header down pipes to replace the OEM with that has the worthless front X-over... saving my nickels for the downpipes and the PCIII... then off to the Dyno!

Mine is "almost complete."

I've gone from OEM exhaust to MG Titanium pipes; OEM x-over to Mistral; thinking seriously of buying Racer X's header down pipes to replace the OEM with that has the worthless front X-over... saving my nickels for the downpipes and the PCIII... then off to the Dyno!

Does Racer-x have a web site were I can see/buy the pipes?

Does Racer-x have a web site were I can see/buy the pipes?

Yes, you can reach him at: http://www.guzzitech.com/

I have been battling the x-over blues too. I have a Stucchi X-over, and 1 cracked head pipe and so many exhaust leaks. Aaron's stainless steel shims have helped and after 2 complete assembly/disassembly with aluminum beer can shims and Henrys roofers paste I have finally sealed up that sucker.

When I get some more cash, I'll be buying Todd's head pipes and ditching the X-over altogether. It's a pain when you remove the alternator cover, and a leak prone design.

Dx

Hi there,

It seems to be normal that the front cross over pipe (i.e. the tube in front of the engine; I am not talking about the rear cross over in front of the mufflers) is kind of loose. On my '03 Rosso Corsa I can easily turn it back and forth over half a cm. My dealer tells me that I should not worry; according to him, trying to fasten the front cross over will put the entire exhaust system under strain with the well-known consequences.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bdfjazz

I have a standard crossover, but have had endless problems with various joints on my exhaust system. It was disturbed to fit my techno pannier carriers, silencer mount. I've had both headers crack. Been unable to prevent the silencer vibrating in the collector joint, thinning both parts out. The silencer mounting brackets have snapped 2x1 and 1x1.

On one trip I'd lost an exhaust stud bolt, this allowed the pipes to splay and the balance pipe even fell out

I find it impossible to get a lasting tight seal on the balance pipe. I've tried Aaron Bards shims but they didn't help.

I've even had to take the clamp internals from the header/crossover joint to replace the header/balance knackered ones.

I'd be tempted to replace the headers for either pre 02 ones or Racer X's to run without the balance pipe.

Hello,

I have the same problems as yours with the loose crossover pipe on my 03 LM Rosso Corsa. I was thinking of ordering the Aaron Bard alternative shims. Where can I order these please and how much and are they better than the original shims ?

Thanks, Ben at bdfjazz@hotmail.com, from Paris

Hello,

I have the same problems as yours with the loose crossover pipe on my 03 LM Rosso Corsa. I was thinking of ordering the Aaron Bard alternative shims. Where can I order these please and how much and are they better than the original shims ?

Thanks, Ben at bdfjazz@hotmail.com, from Paris

Never heard of these Ben but if I can track them down I'll let you know. I might be interested in these myself.

Thanks

Guest NotRight

Well if you think about it, with the angle of the cylinders the front cross-over must have had some some tolerance designed into it if they weren't all asleep at the wheel.

As the cylinders and heads thermally expand the exhaust port will move up along the centerline of the bore, away from the crankshaft axis. Even though it might not be 'inches" of expansion, that will move the front crossover to manifold connection points away from each other (L and R).

Maybe that joint isn't supposed to be too tight?

This is apparently another common problem with V11 Guzzis. Mike Haven at MPH offers some metal "shims" that replace the packing and tightens everything up nicely. Ive installed them with good results. They aint cheap but they work.

This is apparently another common problem with V11 Guzzis. Mike Haven at MPH offers some metal "shims" that replace the packing and tightens everything up nicely. Ive installed them with good results. They aint cheap but they work.

I bought the Guzzi part for 12e each.Is that cheap??

Give some more info about the metal "shims" , .......no rattles.....looks solid???km with new shims??????