Dyno Results of Paper v. Gauze

Greg Field

OK, at long last, the charts:

v11dyno2.jpg

This one is the chart after mapping the PC III. Configuration is '04 Ballabio with Mistral cans and crossover and airbox cut per Phil A.'s earlier recommendations, using round holes. If there's a torque dip, the chart appears not to show it.

v11dyno1.jpg

This one's an imperfect comparison of the mapped configuration used on the first chart with nothing else changed except that I swapped on a BMC filter and fastened it with an airbox top that was completely cut away save for the rim. Surprising to me was how much more midrange torque it made with the BMC but that the paper filter produced more peak power. Both are contrary to what I would have expected.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are Phil's comments from last year:

Greg,

can see there is a few here interested in this so I dug out some data gathered while developing the V10 inlets. Dont shoot me please the box is the same as the V11

The facts as I have them are these:

All of these steps are independent of each other.

If your remove the origional mufflers(snorkels) off the inlet and bell mouth the inlets to approx 35mm id you get approx 2hp between 4500 and8000rpm.

If you remove the filter but leave the lid in place, you get approx 1.7hp.

If you drill 3 one inch holes in the top rear of the air box lid (one in each corner an one 2'' forward in the center) and retain the air cleaner element you get approx 1.5 hp.

If you remove the lid and leave the filter in place you get approx 3.5hp from 4300-5500rpm it increases steadily to approx 7hp at 6300 then tapers of to approx2 at 8000 or so.

Once you totally remove the air box but retain the std bell mouths on the injector bodies the gains above 6300 do not taper off as above with the gain being approx 5hp at 8000 or so.

Probably the most noticeable gain with this last set up is 4 or 5hp in the middle of the dip at 4000- 4800rpm.

If you increase the bell-mouth id to approx 50mm and retain the holes in the rear you get 4.5hp all up.

Once I had remapped the MY16M to match I have exactly the same power with the airbox (with origional filter) as with no airbox what so ever!

A total gain of approx 7hp while running the stock filter.

Probably the best gain was 9ft/lb at 2700rpm! with a 5ft/lb gain at 4300rpm. :grin:

Hope this is of interest.

Phil A.

V10 sport.

"All is not always as it seems"

So if we compare these notes to Gregs results, apparently the V10 behaves differently than the V11 to modifications, even though the airbox is otherwise the same. :huh2:

Although maybe it is the teardrop shape or the difference between paper and gauss or ????

So if we compare these notes to Gregs results, apparently the V10 behaves differently than the V11 to modifications, even though the airbox is otherwise the same. :huh2:

Although maybe it is the teardrop shape or the difference between paper and gauss or ????

Well, when you consider that the Hi-Cam breathes better than the 2v engine at all speeds, it makes sense that the airbox is a greater limiting factor in relation to the Hi-Cam engine than ours. But better breathing is better, regardless.

:2c:

Guest Kubaceski

Did I read somewhere in here about a V11 GSX1300R "eater"? Hmm, this is entertaining. It's classic. By the way, glad to be here. I think this is my first post. I've enjoyed the postings.

Guest ratchethack

Did I read somewhere in here about a V11 GSX1300R "eater"? Hmm, this is entertaining. It's classic. By the way, glad to be here. I think this is my first post. I've enjoyed the postings.

Welcome, Kubaceski. Please do not be bewildered, my friend. Your eyes did not deceive you. That one was truly a classic, and quite entertaining indeed -- but it was merely one of a legendary series! :lol:

You see, we have a "regular" hereabouts who means well , yet suffers from a chronic, childlike condition that causes him to perpetually dwell in the kind of fantasy and boundless raw speculation that most seem to grow out of by the age of 9 or 10. Our friend has been known to err, umm, shall we say, build castles in the air -- and then move in. :o

Associated with the condition seems to be repeat, extraordinary difficulty with meanings of such basic, commonly used concepts as, "proof", "evidence", and "truth". Among the many bizarre symptoms of this condition are gross distortions of perception, whereby a photo of a motorcycle under construction is all the "proof" needed that an imaginary "V11 Hayabusa eater" exists. Oh, he will be glad to tell you he believes in it, and will gladly provide what he evidently sincerely perceives to be ample "evidence". In this imaginary world, where reality is as flexible and limitless as the imagination of a child (and yet, is twisted with all the deceitful skills of an adult :wacko: ), no limits of performance of any kind due to laws of physics (that is, Earth-bound physics) are evidently recognized. "Bore it, stroke it, any way you want to" (an accurate word-for-word quote, I b'lieve), and let your imagination run free as the little birdies with Tinkerbelle and Twinkletoes. . . :whistle:

See first mention here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=120766

-- and by all means, don't miss the follow-up discussion here -- It's a lu-lu: :lol:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=120790

Now politics and economics are where it really gets entertaining. :o See thread in progress elsewhere.

Any response to this post is bound to be good f'er a few laffs, too. Pull up a chair. :grin:

Welcome to the funny farm, my friend! ;)

Welcome, Kubaceski. Please do not be bewildered, my friend. Your eyes did not deceive you. That one was truly a classic, and quite entertaining indeed -- but it was merely one of a legendary series! :lol:

You see, we have a regular hereabouts who means well , yet suffers from a chronic, childlike condition that causes him to perpetually dwell in the kind of fantasy and boundless raw speculation that most seem to grow out of by the age of 9 or 10. Our friend has been known to err, umm, shall we say, build castles in the air -- and then move in. :o

Associated with the condition seems to be repeat, extraordinary difficulty with meanings of such basic, commonly used words as, "proof", "evidence", and "truth". Among the many bizarre symptoms of this condition are gross distortions of perception, whereby a photo of a motorcycle under construction is all the "proof" needed that the fabled "V11 Hayabusa eater" exists. Oh, he will be glad to tell you he believes this, and provide what he evidently sincerely perceives to be ample "evidence". In this imaginary world, no limits of performance of any kind due to laws of physics (that is, Earth-bound physics) are evidently recognized. "Bore it, stroke it, any way you want to" (an accurate word-for-word quote, I b'lieve), and let your imagination run free as the little birdies with Tinkerbelle and Twinkletoes. . . :whistle:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=120766

Now politics and economics are where it really gets entertaining. :o See thread in progress elsewhere.

Any response to this post is bound to be good f'er a few laffs, too. Pull up a chair. :grin:

Welcome to the funny farm, my friend! ;)

Ratchet's head is buried in the sand somewhere.

If you want to build your bike up to the point that it could compete on some roads with a Hayabusa, you just need to do a little suspension work, reinforce the frame, and get this big bore/water cooling kit: http://www.bigbore.it/

Power ouput: 125 CV @ 7500 RPM

Maximum torque: 13,5 mkg @ 5750 RPM

I think that is still a little short to the power of Hayabusa, but it should be a lot more torque than an R1 and about the same HP. I don't have time to check the numbers...

Weight will be heavier than the R1 and with a lot of work could be brought below that of a Hayabusa.

http://www.bigbore.it/

Of course if you bore it out, you could argue it is no longer a V11, but Ratchet never argued that point...because I would obviously agree, as the 11 stands for 1100cc. He just talked trash and shows no respect for Guaro's Big Bore MGS01, which you could get your V11 to approach the capabilities of.