Whats the best battery?

Turpin Crock

Some seats rest on the battery. You ought to consider the metal jacketed version, or take a dremel tool to the plastic seat bottom and fill the hole with silicon rubber.

The consensus seems to be the Odyssey. I think it is the 545MJ.

My '04 Cafe Sport needed the seat modification. In my case, I used the factory prepared Yuasa, because the dealer replaced the original under warrantee and it was his money. The original had developed a leak because the seat rested on the terminal. If you end up going with the Yuasa, be certain to get the factory prepared version. They are available from Bombardier. It has performed flawlessly now for about 15 months. I've had no problems using Yuasa batteries for the past 40 years on a variety of bikes.

How important is the size?

I was ordering the odessey PC545 and decided to check the stock battery which is in the boot of my car (i'm at work).

The stock is 175x80x130

The PC545 is 177.8x85.6x131.3

All round slightly larger.

Unfortunately my bike is at a friends house 30 miles away and I won't be near it untill the weekend. I'd like to order this today.

will I need to take the dremmel to the seat and if so is it worth it?

How important is the size?

I was ordering the odessey PC545 and decided to check the stock battery which is in the boot of my car (i'm at work).

The stock is 175x80x130

All round slightly larger.

Unfortunately my bike is at a friends house 30 miles away and I won't be near it untill the weekend. I'd like to order this today.

will I need to take the dremmel to the seat and if so is it worth it?

I cannot say whether you would have to modify the seat, there are different designs. If there is an interference, it is definitely worth fixing. It's not good to have your body weight resting on a battery, regardless of brand.

If you have to modify the seat, it's really not difficult, the dremel cuts through the plastic easily. I also had to bend the battery holding bracket to lower the front end, but that was easy.

If need be, I can email you pictures of my modifications.

The 12 in the Yuasa model number is related to amp-hour capacity, which is less than the 15. If you go with the smaller battery, consider the reduced starting capacity. With Yuasa batteries, "factory prepare" is recommended by Yuasa for horizontal applications. What it means is that they are careful about initial charging to avoid overheating and/or overpressurizing the sealed battery. Maximum charging rate is 1/10 of the amp-hour rating. If charged too quickly by a dealer, seals can be damaged, cauing the battery to leak. When I received my factory prepared battery, it was about 70% charged. Just to be safe, I charged it to 100% (not more) at 1/20 the amp-hour rate. It has been reliable and leak free since installation.

• Like 1

Guest ratchethack

Hi Turpin. I've installed the Odyssey PC545 with no clearance problems. As John has pointed out, if you're, er, shall we say exceptionally gravitationally endowed, you may find an unwanted amount of contact betwen the seat pan and the battery. At 180 lb. with full gear, (82 kg.) it hasn't been any kind of a problem for me in over a year on the road with no relieving of the steat pan, though it does contact the battery lightly. Another poster came up with an idea to lower the battery bracket, which seemed a simple enough solution if need be.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

:D Hey guys,

You lot missing the real answer to this question,

what is the the best battery?

I would say without hesitation the answer is....

A fully charged operational one!!!!!!! :grin::homer:

Hi Turpin. I've installed the Odyssey PC545 with no clearance problems. As John has pointed out, if you're, er, shall we say exceptionally gravitationally endowed, you may find an unwanted amount of contact betwen the seat pan and the battery. At 180 lb. with full gear, (82 kg.) it hasn't been any kind of a problem for me in over a year on the road with no relieving of the steat pan, though it does contact the battery lightly. Another poster came up with an idea to lower the battery bracket, which seemed a simple enough solution if need be.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Not all seats have the same bottoms. In my case, it was quite a large interference, enough to cause a seal failure at the battery terminal, and I only weigh 143 pounds. It was one of my posts which described how I modified the bracket as well as the seat. If requested, I can dig out the pictures and description from my files.

Technicality but I dont think the Odyssey is an absorbed glass mat battery but rather a dry cell technology. I have several in service. They work fine but need upwards of 14 vdc to fully charge.

The PC545 is EXACTLY the same size as the OEM battery that I replaced.

There should not be any difference in seat/frame/anything BS to deal with...

Loosen terminals, remove wires, replace with new battery, fasten - done!

Guest ratchethack

The PC545 is EXACTLY the same size as the OEM battery that I replaced.

Well, not quite exactly. :nerd:

As Turpin pointed out:

The stock is 175x80x130

This is wot I discovered when I evaluated the Odyssey PC545 I ordered to replace the original issue SPARK battery nearly 2 years back, when she was finally put out to pasture after 5 years of flawless service. :notworthy:

Again, the dimensions are close enough that it's presented NO difficulties of any kind over many a mile of trouble-free Guzzimotation ever since. :sun:

BAA, TJM & I suspect that unless y'er a particularly "BIG BOY", &/or have a funny seat :o , YM ain't likely to V. ;)