Whats the best battery?

Turpin Crock

The PC545 is EXACTLY the same size as the OEM battery that I replaced.

There should not be any difference in seat/frame/anything BS to deal with...

Loosen terminals, remove wires, replace with new battery, fasten - done!

Yes, there "should" be no difference, but unfortunately for some seats, there IS. It could well be that my '04 Cafe Sport's seat has features on its base that yours does not.

Here's what I found with comparisons to my seat (but maybe not yours).

Per Yuasa:

YTX15L Factory prepared to prevent leaks

175 X 87 X 130 mm

6.875 X 3.437 X 5.125 This one interferes with seat

Moto Guzzi service replacement:

Yuasa YTZ12S

6.0 X 3.437 X 4.375 This one does not interfere with the rib in the seat plastic, but still is thick enough to possibly interfere towards the front of the bike. Also has reversed polarity, requiring troublesome re-routing of cables.

Odyssey:

PC545 for side mounting.

6.813 X 3.375 X 5.125 1/6" thinner, better, but still too close

PC545MJ with metal jacket for under seat mounting.

7.00 X 3.37 X 5.17 Same thickness as above. 3/16 longer and 1/16 taller.

Conclusion: both the Yuasa 15L and Odyssey PC545 and PC545MJ will interfere with the rib in the seat plastic. The YTZ 12S might fit, but might be too thick.

I bent the two 90 degree legs toward the front of the bike to lower the bottom of the battery about 5/8" That should eliminate the interference there. I also Dremel tooled the rib in the seat bottom to eliminate a 15mm interference near the positive terminal. Also posted this on the V11 forum.

Okay-

I'm happy to be corrected. I didn't take measurements when I swapped the dead OEM for Odyssey, but I will tell you that the damn things "LOOKED" absolutely identical right down to the hex wrench connections.

FWIW re. seat tolerances - I've never had an issue with the seat improperly latching, and I seriously doubt the battery rubs the seat pan.

:drink:

Okay-

I'm happy to be corrected. I didn't take measurements when I swapped the dead OEM for Odyssey, but I will tell you that the damn things "LOOKED" absolutely identical right down to the hex wrench connections.

FWIW re. seat tolerances - I've never had an issue with the seat improperly latching, and I seriously doubt the battery rubs the seat pan.

:drink:

Then your a lucky man with very likely a different seat design than mine. :bier:

I didn't detect the problem at first. The plastic seat base had some flex in it, and the somewhat flexible metal tang on the front and somewhat flexible battery holder all helped in forcing the seat down. The seat was a little hard to latch, but I didn't think anything of it until I saw battery acid on the rear end after a ride and investigated. After the mods, no problem latching the seat down, or battery leaks.

Then your a lucky man with very likely a different seat design than mine. :bier:

I didn't detect the problem at first. The plastic seat base had some flex in it, and the somewhat flexible metal tang on the front and somewhat flexible battery holder all helped in forcing the seat down. The seat was a little hard to latch, but I didn't think anything of it until I saw battery acid on the rear end after a ride and investigated. After the mods, no problem latching the seat down, or battery leaks.

Yowza - battery acid on the rear end... that would be no bueno.

Honestly, I had no idea this (size of the Odyssey battery) was an issue for ANYONE. Mine fit in there so well and looked like such a dead-ringer for OEM that I thought it was a perfect match.

I'll chalk mine up to being lucky then, and just be happy with that!

:bier:

Yowza - battery acid on the rear end... that would be no bueno.

Honestly, I had no idea this (size of the Odyssey battery) was an issue for ANYONE. Mine fit in there so well and looked like such a dead-ringer for OEM that I thought it was a perfect match.

I'll chalk mine up to being lucky then, and just be happy with that!

:bier:

The dimensions are a perfect match.

So, the OEM Spark 500 would have the same problem.

A nice after market product would be a battery cage that hung just a little lower.

Of course you could modify the existing. I recollect someone did that, maybe Docc???

Guest ratchethack

This is incorrect. Per numerous posts above detailing the dimension differences, it's enough to present interference with some model bikes' seat pans, evidently to different degrees. For Yours Truly, it didn't present much of a problem. However, the critical dimension difference being the additional 5 mm height of the Odyssey PC545 over the stock Spark resulted in crushing of the rubber battery mat from contact by the seat pan above. It's hardly a large concern, but it'd be simple enough to fabricate or modify the existing bracket if it presented enough of a problem. Might give this a go meself, just because the idea of compressing the glassmat battery, even on an intermittent basis, probably ain't an ideal situation. . . ^_^

NOTE: Since I happen to have my battery out at the moment, this stuff is sort of "front burner". . . I took out the bracket and entertained various ways to re-position the thing by adding extensions, installing from the bottom, and/or possibly re-shaping things.

The Hatchracket Fabrication Workshop CONCLUSION: Requisite effort level to modify or fabricate new bracket exceeds relative benefits at this time. -_-

This is incorrect. Per numerous posts above detailing the dimension differences, it's enough to present interference with some model bikes' seat pans, evidently to different degrees. For Yours Truly, it didn't present much of a problem. However, the critical dimension difference being the additional 5 mm height of the Odyssey PC545 over the stock Spark resulted in crushing of the rubber battery mat from contact by the seat pan above.

Here is a photo I took a couple years ago of the PC545 and Spark500

spark545xh9.jpg

I recall with great certaintly that they lined up exactly in every way.

Perhaps there was more than one model of Spark500 :huh2:

Guest ratchethack

Jaap, I am waiting......................

I wonder how long does it take before this topic gets closed. :D

Take it easy, Antonio.

There's a critical distinction being flushed out here that could be important to those who may have a substantial clearance problem. ;)

There's a strong possibility that either battery manufacturer (or both) have changed dimensions of their products over time, while retaining the same battery model designations, ratings, and outputs.

As Dave noted, I've noticed that battery manufacturers follow an evolutionary trend toward providing steadily smaller dimension products with the same output and rating, as technology and manufacturing processes improve. And ain't this kinda progress a wonderful thing, eh? ;)

My OEM Spark has long ago gone the way of the recycler, but I distinctly recall the dimension differences that I'd found BEFORE ORDERING (as confirmed by Turpin earlier in the thread) and verifying AFTER taking delivery -- because it was more than noticeable without creating much of a clearance problem, as I'd anticipated. I ALSO remember (with pretty good recall, I think) that the AH rating of my Spark was lower than the Odyssey (by .5 AH, or so?), but I can't recall the exact numbers now. Again, even with the dimension change, the Odyssey has been drop-in replacement "acceptable" with little concern since January of last year and some 7K miles for Yours Truly.

I APOLOGIZE to Dave for concluding he was WRONG. It seems we could both be correct. :rolleyes:

This is incorrect. Per numerous posts above detailing the dimension differences, it's enough to present interference with some model bikes' seat pans, evidently to different degrees. For Yours Truly, it didn't present much of a problem. However, the critical dimension difference being the additional 5 mm height of the Odyssey PC545 over the stock Spark resulted in crushing of the rubber battery mat from contact by the seat pan above. It's hardly a large concern, but it'd be simple enough to fabricate or modify the existing bracket if it presented enough of a problem. Might give this a go meself, just because the idea of compressing the glassmat battery, even on an intermittent basis, probably ain't an ideal situation. . . ^_^

NOTE: Since I happen to have my battery out at the moment, this stuff is sort of "front burner". . . I took out the bracket and entertained various ways to re-position the thing by adding extensions, installing from the bottom, and/or possibly re-shaping things.

The Hatchracket Fabrication Workshop CONCLUSION: Requisite effort level to modify or fabricate new bracket exceeds relative benefits at this time. -_-

Been there, done that.

Modifying the bracket was a simple matter of changing the bend angles to lower the offending end.

A nice after market product would be a battery cage that hung just a little lower.

Of course you could modify the existing. I recollect someone did that, maybe Docc???

That would be me, Dave.

The original thread with all the gory details was "Battery Leaks", do horizontal batteries always leak?

Ratch, Don’t tell an Italian to take it easy, because this would be a superlative.

We Italians are well known in Europe because ours outstanding knowledge in making business. That’s why Italians are one of the most successful business man in Europe. :D

I'm not Italian, that has been my experience, having done business in most of Europe.

I APOLOGIZE to Dave for concluding he was WRONG. It seems we could both be correct. :rolleyes:

No need to apologize unless you are not insulting and rude.

Disagreement is healthy and once in a while productive, although some sure are overly sensitive about any disagreement.

I moved the front of the battery basket below the subframe and did a little Dremeling to the seat bottom. There is a nasty sharp edge on the early seats that cuts the rubber battery strap in half as well as the other points bearing directly on the battery.

You know there are forums out there where a guy is lucky to get a post answered; even then the thread will die with the briefest response. Not here! :mg: You can count on a collective effort to leave no stone unturned, no connector unplugged! :bier: