Whats the best battery?

Turpin Crock

Guest ratchethack

No need to apologize unless you are not insulting and rude.

Hmmmmm. Double negative. . . :rolleyes:

Let's see here. Total up every negative. Odd = negative, even = positive.

OK, Dave. I apologize for not being insulting and rude. I'll try harder. :homer:

Disagreement is healthy and once in a while productive, although some sure are overly sensitive about any disagreement.

¡Ay, caramba!

Or, as is often said in Baja,

¡EEEEEEHOLAY!

There are some who sure are as overly sensitive as a high-strung menopausal woman between heat flashes over direct, unshaded and unpretentious exchanges, which they consider far too harsh for their own delicate sensitivities, especially when it actually IS insulting and rude. . . ;):whistle:

How's THAT, Dave? Any better? ;)

You know there are forums out there where a guy is lucky to get a post answered; even then the thread will die with the briefest response. Not here! :mg: You can count on a collective effort to leave no stone unturned, no connector unplugged! :bier:

Very true! I always try to follow along. The route is often circuitous, but the destination is eventually reached. The information contained therein is invaluable.

Ken

Very true! I always try to follow along. The route is often circuitous, but the destination is eventually reached. The information contained therein is invaluable.

Ken

It's really due to the dedication of people like Greg Field, Pete Roper, dlaing, Ratchethack, and a few others. Another positive factor is that in this forum, people avoid creating a new thread whenever they wish to say something. That provides a convenient way to get a thorough response on an issue, and makes it easier to get the whole story. Two reasons why I personally keep track and stay involved. I believe Moto Guzzi is far better off as a result. :mg:

Hmmmmm. Double negative. . . :rolleyes:

Let's see here. Total up every negative. Odd = negative, even = positive.

OK, Dave. I apologize for not being insulting and rude. I'll try harder. :homer:

¡Ay, caramba!

Or, as is often said in Baja,

¡EEEEEEHOLAY!

There are some who sure are as overly sensitive as a high-strung menopausal woman between heat flashes over direct, unshaded and unpretentious exchanges, which they consider far too harsh for their own delicate sensitivities, especially when it actually IS insulting and rude. . . ;):whistle:

How's THAT, Dave? Any better? ;)

iAy, caramba! :homer:

I have messed up with a double negative, died, and gone to hell. :(

I think it's excellent that the three dimensions of an irregular cube can generate such an amount of dialog. When i posted this first I was afraid it wouldn't get a response. How wrong I was! Thank you all.

Well I ended up checking out the battery holder this weekend.

The length and width are a squeeze but will work. These were the most critical as the frame and a resevoir, ( lack of time has stopped me from identifying but I'm sure one of you will put that right) define that space. The resevoir would have to be moved in my bike to get anything much bigger in.

The added height would not seem to be an issue either. I put a 12mm (as it was all I could find) flat bar on top of the battery and the seat fitted back on without difficulty.

I am going ahead and will order the pc545. What does the MJ some of you mentioned earlier signify ????

I think it's excellent that the three dimensions of an irregular cube can generate such an amount of dialog. When i posted this first I was afraid it wouldn't get a response. How wrong I was! Thank you all.

Well I ended up checking out the battery holder this weekend.

The length and width are a squeeze but will work. These were the most critical as the frame and a resevoir, ( lack of time has stopped me from identifying but I'm sure one of you will put that right) define that space. The resevoir would have to be moved in my bike to get anything much bigger in.

The added height would not seem to be an issue either. I put a 12mm (as it was all I could find) flat bar on top of the battery and the seat fitted back on without difficulty.

I am going ahead and will order the pc545. What does the MJ some of you mentioned earlier signify ????

MJ signifies Metal Jacket. An added factor of safety. Is sounds like you have no clearance problem.

I just came back on too late to say I know what MJ means. I was buying the battery and saw the metal jacket version with Motorworks UK.

The metal jacket adds 3.5mm all round, Does it offer much benefit?

I would not get the metal jacket.

It costs more, adds weight, and is more likely to be touched by the seat when you hit a pothole.

But the benefits are that it MIGHT resist the force of the seat better,but I think avoiding contact is more beneficial than resisting contact.

The designed benefit is that it resists high temperatures better.

But I am not sure why. Maybe if it boils it will resist rupturing???

So, don't boil your battery and it will be fine :drink:

Or maybe it is to help conduct heat away from the battery when the battery is put in an engine compartment....not a problem on our bike as little engine heat gets to the battery.

I initially thought it was to resist rupturing from freezing, but I was told it was to resist heat, not cold. Besides, the plates would probably crack before the case.

• 3 months later...

Juz to add to the database; I have just fitted a Yuasa YTZ-10S maintenance free battery. Size is good, actually narrower than the battery tray. So far so good. No modification to the seat required. Retailed for about US$95 where I come from.

Cheers

Cat

Juz to add to the database; I have just fitted a Yuasa YTZ-10S maintenance free battery. Size is good, actually narrower than the battery tray. So far so good. No modification to the seat required. Retailed for about US$95 where I come from.

Cheers

Cat

In your climate 10 amp-hours may be enough. In mine, I'll stick with the bigger battery.

The price is about the same as I paid here-reasonable. Good luck with it.

Have a look here;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=140188432240

And the guy accepted an offer of £42, bonus! Might be worth offering slightly less.

Three guys plus me off the guzzista.eu forum have bought one.

That's a great price for that particular battery. It isn't literally a dry cell. One concern is the state of charge. In the case of conventional lead-acid batteries, allowing them to self discharge while on a store's shelf for too long results in diminished capacity. Over here, for example, auto batteries by most manufacturers are date coded for that reason. 6 months of self discharge can be significant. Smart stores will put the older batteries in front.

This particular battery may not be affected as much by that, but I don't know for sure.

If it is a factor, it may be that the batteries have been around for a long time, which would account for the steep discount.

They are quoted as having a two year shelf life to a 50% state of charge (I think at 20C). Even at that state of charge, it would hardly classify as deep discharge and should be easily recoverable.

I'm taking a chance on one.

They are quoted as having a two year shelf life to a 50% state of charge (I think at 20C). Even at that state of charge, it would hardly classify as deep discharge and should be easily recoverable.

I'm taking a chance on one.

Sounds good. That's a much longer shelf life than the typical maintenance free conventional battery. When it arrives, you can verify the state of charge by measuring its voltage before doing anything else with it. Then you will know what you got for the money. There are other posts in this forum on optimum charging methods for this battery, and voltage versus state of charge.