Magni fairing ... how to improve the ergonomics?

slowkitty

very very keen on these ....

guzzigr.JPG

But I understand that the over-yoke clip ons would have to be swapped for a under-yoke clip ons, presenting me with a challenge since my arms are, well, not long.

Anyway of retaining the originbal clip ons? or using other clip-ons for better ergo?

Cheers

Cat

Cup of concret on your weeties in the morning or a nice big mug of HTFU. Ergo's are no different to the older 1100 sports and will probally stop the vague feeling the bikes had a reputation for by transfereing wieght onto the front wheel.

Ain't nothin' vague about my V-11S :bbblll:

Mine is off of the bike right now due to a broken bracket. I did, however, leave the control setup in the interim, which consists of a set of Woodcraft clip-ons mounted under the top clamp. I did move the forks up in the clamps to accommodate the change. Though it's pretty much common sense, there are 3 constraints when putting the controls on with the fairing mounted- they must be a) positioned vertically such that the controls clear the fairing, B) positioned horizontally such that the levers to not hit the fairing at full lock, and c) angled such that the controls do not hit the tank at full lock) It took me some trial and error to find the perfect position that met all three requirements, but once I did the bike was as comfortable as it ever was.

As I recall, someone on here.. maybe a year ago, was selling a Magni fairing, claiming that they had found a way to use it with the stock clip ons. I am not sure whether they were referring to the under-yoke clip ons of the 99-01 sport or the newer style. Either way, it did seem to me that there was "some" room at least for adjustment, moreso should one obtain a set of adjustable clip ons. It also seems that if one could find a way to set up the "cross brace" bracket slightly different, that may yield more space as well.

Once I get my fairing back on the bike I'll probably end up messing with it again to see what kind of room there is.

Hope this helps...

As I recall, someone on here.. maybe a year ago, was selling a Magni fairing, claiming that they had found a way to use it with the stock clip ons. I am not sure whether they were referring to the under-yoke clip ons of the 99-01 sport or the newer style.

i am the guy who bought his fairing. he (david) had machined a pair c-shaped shims that slip over the fork tubes for an '01 V11 Sport. these shims bring the diameter of the lower portion of the fork tube up to the same diameter as that of the upper portion where the clip-ons are normally mounted. after loosening the bolts, i slid the stock clip-ons down the fork tube and over the shims, tightened, and voila. the clip-ons are now too low to use the 3 positioning-holes in the triple clamp, so you have to do a bit of trial & error as described to get the proper position. i also ended up replacing the brass bolts that secure the clip-ons with 12.9 steel after over torquing one of them, due to a combination of a crappy torque-wrench and operator error.

when i get the chance, i will get out the micrometer and grab the measurements of these shims for the greater good.

here is the best picture i have, where you can see a portion of the shim below the clip-on. i ended up re-positioning it such that the shim was not visible so this is a lucky shot. note, i also ditched the mirrors that come with the magni in favor of a pair of CRG hindsight LS's.

shimscb2.jpg

i am the guy who bought his fairing. he (david) had machined a pair c-shaped shims that slip over the fork tubes for an '01 V11 Sport. these shims bring the diameter of the lower portion of the fork tube up to the same diameter as that of the upper portion where the clip-ons are normally mounted. after loosening the bolts, i slid the stock clip-ons down the fork tube and over the shims, tightened, and voila. the clip-ons are now too low to use the 3 positioning-holes in the triple clamp, so you have to do a bit of trial & error as described to get the proper position. i also ended up replacing the brass bolts that secure the clip-ons with 12.9 steel after over torquing one of them, due to a combination of a crappy torque-wrench and operator error.

when i get the chance, i will get out the micrometer and grab the measurements of these shims for the greater good.

Would you be kind enough to measure the vertical distance (down the fork leg) that you have moved the clamp from its original position, as well, please.....