A greener V11 Sport (Mk II)

Admin Jaap

Originally posted by Greg Field

We have a customer at Moto Intl. who's a pretty far out there liberal activist, but who isn't just all talk. He has spent considerable money with our shop and other suppliers to convert his V11 Sport to run really well on 85-percent ethanol. The only stumbling is between 3000 and 4000 rpm. Everythwer else, it runs as strong as a gas-powered V11.

Here it is:

980115-008.jpg

After all that, I think he's earned the right to a little biting social commentary:

980115-009.jpg

Guest ratchethack

I reckon Jaap wasn't kidding about the new, "shorter leash". . . :o

It's his board, I respect his judgment calls 100%, even when I disagree.

Jaap, you have my abiding respect and appreciation. :notworthy:

So, Greg, what were the significant mods? It must be more than injectors, mapping and new rubber parts to be "considerable money". Raised compression would yield the biggest benefit from alky. Did he have to get into the lower end? Thanks, Joe

It's a very interesting mod, my concern would be how will the plastic fuel tank like the ethanol? As well as the rubber and aluminum parts? Looks like runs pretty hot as well.

Hal

Ethanol runs cooler as the CV is lower.

However, as a "green" measure this is misguided.

The world market price of staple cereals is rocketing due to direct diversion into biofuels, indirect diversion of agricultural land is having the same effect and slash and burn creation of palm plantations for biodiesel in the tropics will likely damage the region in terms of biodiversity and as a carbon sink (not that I believe the latter is really important, but there are plenty that do).

So, if a significant number of us swap from gas to ethanol or other biofuel, more people will starve to death in the medium to long term.

If you want to be a greener biker, buy a smaller bike.

The title says 'Technical Topic', can we keep to that and hold the politics please?

Or else what? You'll have my membership terminated?

I think its a fair point. The man's motivation was to take a more responsible approach to his biking. I am simply pointing out that there are no simple TECHNICAL solutions. All of life is politics, whether it be your biking decisions, your work decisions or your family decisions. There is always a political dimension, its just how local that dimension happens to be.

Most people just want to know what modifications were done...

With respect, the first thread on this subject had alot more replies than this so called non polital thread.

Japp I respect your decision to pull the first thread but feel it was rather narrow minded.

Len

Or else what? You'll have my membership terminated?

I think its a fair point. The man's motivation was to take a more responsible approach to his biking. I am simply pointing out that there are no simple TECHNICAL solutions. All of life is politics, whether it be your biking decisions, your work decisions or your family decisions. There is always a political dimension, its just how local that dimension happens to be.

Sure it is fair and relevant.

I don't know if you missed some of the earlier posts in this thread, but Jaap edited them out to keep the nasty or potentially nasty posts from getting out of control.

He is not targeting you, he is just trying to keep the peace, as the subject is loaded with controversy and politics.

Maybe if you start a thread on the "misguided" use of alcohol :drink: in the banter section Jaap will be a little more tolerant, or not. But that is a better place to discuss it, or better yet Captain Enzo Nemo's website.

http://p209.ezboard.com/btherollingcrowmotorcycleclub

I'll put my evironmental and Greener Guzzi opinion in here....

Each to their own when modifying...

However, I think I'd still prefer a 2 Stroke Guzzi..... Hey, Ralph Nader, Look at this... :bbblll:

:nerd::luigi::rasta:

Actually, that makes a lot of sense: bore out the leading cylinder a bit & put in a very light, thin slipper piston w/ a rubber o-ring seal instead of piston rings and of course, cut off the fuel supply to the TB & put a metal plug in the sparkplug socket. Route the exhaust port to the intake on the trailing cylinder, & then you can even sleeve the cylinder & put in a smaller dia. piston [so the flame front doesn't have so far to travel]: better cut it down to about 78mm, a tad undersquare.

Of course, you'll have to radically change the cam timing: the lead cylinder will have to have the exhaust valve open briefly right at the top of the stroke, and of course, intake timing will be changed quite a bit too. On the firing cylinder, the exhaust valve opening won't change, but it'll start closing at BDC and be shut tight before 50 deg ABDC. The intake valve will open @ 20 deg ABDC and shut promptly at 90 deg BTDC; good thing we've got forced induction! The fuel injection helps out here too, since it enables us to use it for a "stratified charge" kind of effect, dumping the fuel into the intake stream after the exhaust valve has shut & preventing short-circuiting for that all-important Euro3 certification! ;) The chain drive for the cam will be a big help in all this, since driving the cam at 1:1 is just a change to the cam sprocket.

Don't worry about having to fiddle w/ the ECU to adjust timing for firing every cycle: just dual-plug the head [of course, this would be easier on one of the new models, since they come dual-plugged from Mandello] and put the now-useless sparkplug lead for the (super)charging cylinder on the trailing [firing] one. You'll need to adjust the Hall transducer location, I guess, but we'll bodge this thing together somehow...

:grin:

Ride on!

:race: