Speedo and angle drive

hgravelpha@aol.com

Speedo went down yesterday. Look at the angle drive that connects the speedo cable to the transmission on a 2001 model - there is a hole and no innerts. Guess it fell off while I was riding. What do I need to buy- the speedo cable and the angle drive? Are they one unit? Where can I get one of these? My dealer does not have one in stock and does not know if a later unit will work with the 2001 model. I have the white Veglia speedo. I do not want to change to the black speedo. Any hints will help. Thanks. :helmet:

Guest ratchethack

Man, I hate it when that happens. :angry:

There's a disk that holds the internal gear and cable in place that's staked in place on the angle drive casting. Evidently, there's enough pressure on the disk to occasionally overcome a shabby staking job at the factory. The result is that the disk pops off, disgorging the drive gear and cable on the road. <_<

This is wot happened to Y'ers Truly many years back. Moto International had one of these drives in stock last time I checked, but I bought it. At the time it was their last one. Not having the old cable to duplicate with a "Universal cable", I had to get a new Guzzi cable also. <_< I've JB Welded the new disk in place so's it can't happen again, and would recommend this as a preventive measure.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

hgravelpha,

I don't know if all the V11s have this, but I have a 2000 V11 and when I removed my angle drive (when I was fixing my trans leak) I found there was a small washer/bushing at the very tip of the assembly, where the face of the angle drive's exposed mating gear rests in the trans. If your bike has this bushing, and it falls into the trans (unnoticed) it can, and most likely will lead to major trans damage.

You can check if it is in place (after angle drive removal) by carefully sticking a thin screw driver down into the pilot hole and moving it a round a bit. I hope others chime in here with there experience, because it may only apply to 2000s.

Cheers,

Steve

Nope, not limited to your bike, common on many. Small hardened steel washer that WILL wreak havoc if you drop it into your gearbox. Exercise GREAT care when messing in this area.