27 mm Allen wrench

dp.guzzi

Thanks to all for all the helpful advice in the past.

OK, here is my next dumb question. I want to change the oil filter on my 2002 LeMans (which I love). It seems that I need a 27mm Allen wrench to remove the cover in order to get to the filter.

Is that corret?

Where do I get a 27mm Allen wrench??

On my 97 Sport I think I used a 27mm Nut. It had enough height to then put a socket on it.

Then I found I needed a special tool to undo the filter.

In the end I found it easier to just drop the sump.

Guest ratchethack

DPG, I found that a 27 mm nut welded to a 12" length of steel strap makes a perfectly functional tool for a coupla U$D at y'er local welding shop. :luigi:

When I bought my bike the previous owner gave me the special tool for this cover.

it has a filter wrench on one side, a 27mm hex driver on the otherside and a 1/2 in. ratchet drive in the center

part number reads 01.92.91.00

Thanks to all for all the helpful advice in the past.

OK, here is my next dumb question. I want to change the oil filter on my 2002 LeMans (which I love). It seems that I need a 27mm Allen wrench to remove the cover in order to get to the filter.

Is that corret?

Where do I get a 27mm Allen wrench??

1-1/16" is close enough. I use a cheap plumping fitting I found at home depot, with a 1-1/16 socket or box wrench.

Later, I read that one of the stamped steel socket wrenches supplied in the Guzzi tool kit fits the cover. Who would have thought to look there? :doh: Check that out if you have one.

The correct size filter socket is available for the Purolator L10241 equivalent at the likes of autozone, advance auto, etc. It has 14 flats at 74mm across flats. The UFI has 16 flats. To each his own. I forced the filter socket onto the UFI. It came unscrewed easily. Too easy for my taste, as it came from the factory.

See also the oil filter tightening thread in the FAQ section. :nerd:

1-1/16" is close enough. I use a cheap plumping fitting I found at home depot, with a 1-1/16 socket or box wrench.

Later, I read that one of the stamped steel socket wrenches supplied in the Guzzi tool kit fits the cover. Who would have thought to look there? :doh: Check that out if you have one.

The correct size filter socket is available for the Purolator L10241 equivalent at the likes of autozone, advance auto, etc. It has 14 flats at 74mm across flats. The UFI has 16 flats. To each his own. I forced the filter socket onto the UFI. It came unscrewed easily. Too easy for my taste, as it came from the factory.

See also the oil filter tightening thread in the FAQ section. :nerd:

I checked the tool kit, but the spark plug wrench is too small. Tell me more about the plumbing fitting please. Home Depot is nearby.

Also, I tried to buy a 27 mm nut but couldn't locate one. On my next foray I will ask for a 1 1/16" nut. Then maybe the counterman won't look at me like I'm the nut.

I checked the tool kit, but the spark plug wrench is too small. Tell me more about the plumbing fitting please. Home Depot is nearby.

Also, I tried to buy a 27 mm nut but couldn't locate one. On my next foray I will ask for a 1 1/16" nut. Then maybe the counterman won't look at me like I'm the nut.

Here's how I did it:

I found a useful tool for removing the oil filter access cover with a 1-1/16 socket at Home Depot in the plumbing section at $2.59 U.S.

It's the Watts 5/8" Short Forged Flare Nut.

I used a piece of masking tape inside the socket to prevent the nut from falling all the way in. The tape is put in like a saddle to set the amount the nut protrudes to just what is needed to engage the filter access cover. Because of the limited engagement in the cover (any any other job where this is an issue), I used a 2 foot length of plastic plumbing pipe as a ratchet arm extension to reduce the tendency to twist out of the cover.

A nut that's 27mm across the flats happens to fit an M18 bolt. If you can't find a metric nut that big you might look for a 3/4 hex nut and file the sides down until they fit.

FWIW your friendly Guzzi dealer will have the axle nut. Several of my bikes came with one or two.