How to change the Ohlins rear spring

ArtD

Ok folks, it is just me, or has something quite bad happened to the search feature? :huh2: It used to work sooo nice, now, its become quite dysfunctional!! On that note, I'm getting ready to change the rear spring on the Italia. Besides the 500+ dollar factory Ohlins spring tool, is there any quick trick to compress the spring so that the lock collar can be then removed? As an aside, this could be done without removing the entire coilover from the bike, right? I was thinking about the old "use 10 hose clamps" trick, but perhaps there is a better way. And PLEASE, don't tell me to "do a search", after a wasted hour, this is where I have ended up, posting on what undoubtably has been discussed before because I can't find it!! :angry: Oh well, Thanks!!!

I haven't done it on a guzzi shock, but I've used various hose clamps on opposite sides of the shock to tighten down the spring to facilitate dissassembly, worked fine

Thats EXACTLY the method that I am going to use unless there is some interesting trick that I don't know of, which is not only possible, but highly probable :luigi: Thanks for the confirmation!!

Remove the shock from the bike. Clean the threads for the pre-load collars and lube them with light oil. Fit one end in a vice and clamp it. Use a spring pre-load wrench to undo the collars.

I take it from that Greg, that the adjusters will unscrew far enough to completely unload the spring?

Cheers

I left top of shock mounted to bike, removed bottom mounting bolt.

Backed off adjuster & lock rings at top to unload spring.

Removed bottom spring seat ring (it is split so it can pass over damper rod).

Removed spring from bottom.

Reversed for re-assembly.

Mine is an 02 Scura, but I don't see why yours should not be the same.

KB :sun: