Italy's Appenine Mountain Range

Orson

team orson manages to escape for one last fling before winter's icey tendrils take hold. Being allergic to cold weather, I decided to head southwards along the Appenine mountain range which runs along the entire length of the Italian peninsula.

For the first day of my trip, I decided to put off heading south for a day and explore the province of Parma. While the Emilia Romagna isn't as popular as Tuscany, it doesn't lack in natural beauty and doesn't suffer from bus loads of Japanese and American tourists. I headed west into the foothills of the Appenines on a route suggested by the bike shop's owner.

I encountered the first castle of the trip. It would be the first of many

Picture032-3.jpg

Picture033-4.jpg

The sun was shining and the roads were twisty as I headed deeper into the mountains. I encountered local riders along the way. You know you're on the right road when you see the locals. :thumbsup:

Picture031-3.jpg

Picture034-3.jpg

Near the higher elevations of the Passo di Mercatello, I encounter some fall foilage. While Europe doesn't seem to have the volcanic fall colors seen in North America, they still provide a nice display

Picture035-2.jpg

Later in the day, the skies begin to darken and threaten to rain, but the threat does little to dampen the beauty of the Italian countryside. Hang a hard right, give it a little throttle before easing off for the small village dominated by the church spire.

Picture002-3.jpg

One nice thing about riding in Italy, you're toodling along, minding your own business when you round a corner and...whoa dude! Nice house! :)

The castle dominating the town of Baldi

Picture003-3.jpg

On our way back to Parma, the mighty mighty goose cools its heels as "night arrives with her purple legions" to descend upon the Appenines, signaling the end of another day.

Picture004-3.jpg

After a night's sleep and a proper dosage of cappuccinos, I began to make my way south along the fertile plains that run along the eastern slope of the Appenines along the area so famous for its racing heritage. Home to names such as Ducati, Ferrari and Maseratti.

Stopping at Maranello to snoop around a bit for Ron Dennis :cool:

Picture005-3.jpg

From Maranello, I turn southwest and begin the serpentine climb up into the mountains and into Tuscany

Picture006-3.jpg

As I climb further and further, the other traffic decreases. Soon, it seems I have the mountains to myself. Again, the fall colors become more prevalent at the higher altitudes.

Picture007-3.jpg

A mountain village, lies in seclusion deep in the Appenines

Picture008-3.jpg

A tree lined country lane winds its way through the mountains. In the states, a traffic safety engineer may have deemed these trees unsafe and ordered them to be cut down. In Italy, they remain...just because

Picture009-3.jpg

Sleepy villages line my route where time seems to stand still, in spite of what the clock tower says

Picture010-3.jpg

As I approached the town of Pescia, I began to notice small throngs of people lining the route. Many of them were dressed as bicycle racers. I began to suspect something was up. Sure enough, as I rounded a bend, a police bike coming the opposite way, dismissively waved me off the road. Right after that came the usual sights seen at the Tour de France. The team cars, officials, camera bikes, followed by the peloton. I didn't get my camera out in time and missed a shot of the peloton so you'll have to settle for a shot of more team cars :D

Picture011-3.jpg

South of Empoli, I was getting into the heart of Tuscany with its picturesque countryside and its romantic villas

Picture012-2.jpg

I found my way back to a nice villa near San Casciano that I had stayed at a few years earlier. The following morning, I made my way into town to look for a map of Tuscany. If it's Monday, it must be market day. Everyone comes down to the square to load up their supplies for the week

Picture013-3.jpg

Armed with a new map, I leave San Casciano headed east into the Chianti foothills. I have no pictures, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but the roads in this part of Tuscany are exquisite. Fine twisties amongst hillsides dotted by centuries old villages.

Picture014-2.jpg

Those of you who have been to the Napa and Sonoma valleys will notice the resemblance with this wine growing region. Naturally, team orson would be in dereliction of their duties if they failed to sample some of the local product. :D

Picture015-3.jpg

Lost again. After Montevarchi, I began climbing into the mountains again. Many times in Italy, the maps say one thing, and the road signs say something else. I came across the tiny village of San Clemente who's "main street" was about 3 feet across. You really have to get along with your neighbors to live in a village like that.

Climbing towards San Clemente

Picture016-3.jpg

Finally regaining my bearings, I found a main road and started heading south towards Arezzo and Cortona.

The mighty mighty goose waits patiently while I stop to take a picture of a castle. Unable to decide whether to focus on the castle or the Guzzi, the camera chooses the traffic sign :rolleyes:

Picture017-3.jpg

Approaching the walled city of Cortona

Picture018-3.jpg

I entered the city and puttered around exploring for a bit. Notice the 10 kph speed limit sign. I don't think they have to worry about enforcing that one

Picture019-3.jpg

As the sun begins to set, the Guzzi overlooks a small chapel just outside the city walls

Picture021-3.jpg

I find a B&B near Cortona and rest for the night. The fourth day would find me still heading south under now cloudy skies but no rain into Umbria. I skirt around Lago Trasimeno and make my way towards Todi.

First sighting of Todi.

Picture022-3.jpg

Between Todi and Orvieto, I encountered a real bit of twisty tarmac. It started a bit rough and bumpy but finished off real nicely. I think the asphalt might have still smoking the next morning. Here's a shot of the visually stunning city of Orvieto. I really wished the sun had been shining for this one. It reminded me of an Imperial battle cruiser from Star Wars.

Picture023-4.jpg

The end of the fourth day found me on the shores of Lago di Bolsena where I found a nice hotel to take me in for the night. Now, time is running out on my journey and I need to begin heading back north towards Parma. I depart Bolsena under still cloudy skies.

The roads leading north back into Tuscany are pleasingly twisty, just as most of the roads have been since my journey began.

Picture024-3.jpg

The Tuscan roads wind their way past hilltop villages, too numerous to keep track of

Picture025-3.jpg

The sun begins to make an appearance as the mighty mighty goose cuts a handsome profie with the Tuscan landscape as a backdrop

Picture026-3.jpg

At Pontedera, near Pisa, I decide to call it a night. Tomorrow will sadly be the last day of the journey. I take the autostrada and cut north along the coast to La Spezia before I cut inland towards Parma. I climb into the Appenines one last time under brilliant skies

Picture027-2.jpg

Yet another castle!

Picture028-3.jpg

Picture029-3.jpg

The final pass over the Apuan Alps

Picture030-3.jpg

I descended the final few kilometers into Parma before handing my bike over to its caretakers. All in all, it was probably one of my best trips in Italy. I kept to the backroads for most of the time and really enjoyed some fine motorcycling roads as well as the awesome countryside.

Distance: 1700 km / 1056 miles in 6 days

Carabinieri interaction: 0

Puckers: 1

Deer encounters: 0

Bee stings: 0

Route:

Picture037-3.gif

Bloody show off again, Orson :bbblll: You make us all feel lousy and guilty..... :D

Thanks for a great trip report and great pics!

Regards

S

I don't think there's a road in the entire Northeast region with as good a road surface as any in those pictures. I am extremely jealous. I am thinking of shipping (air freight?) to Italy next year for a two week tour. Has anyone had any experience shipping a bike overseas? Are there severe restrictions about bringing a foreign registered bike over?

Nice to see my home town framed so nicely. I would be exceedingl;y jealous had i not spent a good part of June puttering around Todi this year. Unhappily on a BMW not a Guzzi, but only a few of us get everything we ask for...I did to grow up riding those mountains in my youth.

Guest boabcomo

Great roads, great photos. I was down that way after the Raduno in Mandello this year, (and many others), but as usual, I never stop enough to take pictures - the roads are just too damn good to stop. I was told that many of these roads were first laid-out by the Romans who measured the bends using lengths of string so almost every bend is perfect. Guzzi heaven.