Whats with the Brits?

For some reason, I find humor in this. :P

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A poll of Europeans showed people of different nationalities liked each other more after getting to know each other, except in the case of the British -- who became less popular.

A project organized by the Notre Europe think tank brought together 362 citizens from 27 EU states for two days of deliberations in Brussels last weekend.

They were asked their views on a range of issues before and after the event, including how much they liked or disliked German, French, Polish, Italian, British and Spanish people.

The Spaniards were most popular with 78.6 percent approval at the end of the weekend. The Poles the least with 67 percent.

But all nationalities gained in popularity, bar the British who went from a 70.3 percent approval rating at the start of the weekend to 68.1 percent by the end.

Professor James Fishkin of Stanford University in the United States, who developed the polling technique used, urged some caution about the findings.

"I would be careful about drawing too much inference about people disliking the British -- it's small and not significant, but you know, it is what it is, and it did happen that way."

Fishkin said he did not think France's defeat by England in the rugby World Cup semi-final in between the two polls had had an influence, even though the number of French participants in the survey was disproportionately high.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah crap, I figure I might as well post here b4 jaap sends it to the archives :lol:

no matter where you go ppl are "basically" the same and even a jew could find something in common with a muslim as the muslim could find something in common with the christian, it just comes down to well, what exactly where they talking about? if it was Moto Guzzi motorcycles I bet they'd get along great, if its who the messiah is well, heads might roll. :rolleyes:

do you get what I'm sayin here. <_>

Hmmm I don't think either of our 2 nations are that popular around the world these days for various reasons! :)

I personally find all these persentage result stuff and "studies" as total buls**t. You can't put tags on populations .....well of course unless you wanna "lead" them to something......or perhaps unless the test is done to each and everyone...... who damn cares.

How about a test on people who ride certain bikes.... :lol:

OK, so I'm an American and I especially dislike Americans. They think they have a democracy. :o In fact, I just may be anti-American, as my vocabulary challenged father-in-law states. :D

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. This world, unfortunately, needs policemen. Right now, and for quite a few years now, England, and the U.S.A. have either been pushed into, or decided to be the worlds policemen. The world needs a strong moral enforcer to stop the crackpots from doing their own thing without consequense. There may be some personal country gain involved in the decision to kick the shit out of low life people, but generally it's the moral high ground that is the goal. I have no problem with this. None. I'm glad that my country [Canada] is close to the U.S.A.. I have strong feelings that were it not for this close proximity to the U.S., I'd would be speaking Russian right now, drinking cheap potato vodka, and waiting 5 yrs to take delivery of my Ural. Were it not for England, WW2 would have been a cake walk for the Nazi bullies. It would have all been over with before the U.S. ever woke up.

Now, police are unpopular to alot of people. That England and the U.S.A. are unpopular is quite normal in this case, because crackpots don't like being told what to do, and make noise complaining about it, heard the world over, especially by those of kind heart and nieve experience, and are offended by these police actions.

That they are defending my way of life, they get my full respect.

Ciao, Steve

Allow me to put in my two cents:

Assholes goes by the dozen; it doesn't matter whether you're British, American, Danish or from LaLaland - an :moon: is an :moon: - full stop.

Polls like these are absolutely useless and are only published when there isn't anything else to publish. Having said that one wonders why newspapers don't focus more on the ongoing crisis/wars that occur right outside our windows.

Nuff said

S

Having lived a good portion of my adult life in the U.S. I find it irritating when Europeans dismiss all americans in one block as war mongering stupid assholes.

There are jackasses everywhere. We all know it. Where ever you live you meet them.

One thing I did notice over there is that generally they are more friendly and courteous. That (suprisingly enough) even includes New York.

One question no one has asked though. Why are the Poles the least popular. I haven't noticed anything obnoxious about them.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. This world, unfortunately, needs policemen. Right now, and for quite a few years now, England, and the U.S.A. have either been pushed into, or decided to be the worlds policemen. The world needs a strong moral enforcer to stop the crackpots from doing their own thing without consequense. There may be some personal country gain involved in the decision to kick the shit out of low life people, but generally it's the moral high ground that is the goal. I have no problem with this. None. I'm glad that my country [Canada] is close to the U.S.A.. I have strong feelings that were it not for this close proximity to the U.S., I'd would be speaking Russian right now, drinking cheap potato vodka, and waiting 5 yrs to take delivery of my Ural. Were it not for England, WW2 would have been a cake walk for the Nazi bullies. It would have all been over with before the U.S. ever woke up.

Now, police are unpopular to alot of people. That England and the U.S.A. are unpopular is quite normal in this case, because crackpots don't like being told what to do, and make noise complaining about it, heard the world over, especially by those of kind heart and nieve experience, and are offended by these police actions.

That they are defending my way of life, they get my full respect.

Ciao, Steve

I know I'm going to regret posting this because it will bring all the flag wavers out of the woodwork :vomit: , but it needs to be said. :oldgit:

We seriously need to consider if the world needs a proven bent policeman. In a society where self interest and consumerism are the guiding principles it is very difficult for the honourable 'policeman' or politician to flourish. It can also be argued that many of the insecurities that the developed nations face today have a route cause in the inadvisable 'police' actions of the past. :2c:

In a society where self interest and consumerism are the guiding principles it is very difficult for the honourable 'policeman' or politician to flourish. :2c:

This is really going to sound like flag waving but what the hell.

The guiding principles in American society are freedom and justice. It isn't perfect, there are many instances both internally and globally where these principles are ignored or missapplied.

But it is the best system that the human race has come up with yet.

I agree 100% with everything Steve G. said . We are lucky to live on a planet where the dominant forces are so benign.

That is not to say that they shouldn't be held to account for abuse of power. They should and they are a lot quicker to address these issues themselves than anyone else would be. :oldgit:

This is really going to sound like flag waving but what the hell.

The guiding principles in American society are freedom and justice. It isn't perfect, there are many instances both internally and globally where these principles are ignored or missapplied.

But it is the best system that the human race has come up with yet.

I agree 100% with everything Steve G. said . We are lucky to live on a planet where the dominant forces are so benign.

That is not to say that they shouldn't be held to account for abuse of power. They should and they are a lot quicker to address these issues themselves than anyone else would be. :oldgit:

Yeh, what the hell go for it! Wave the flag, just don't let it take the brain out of gear.

The written principles of US society are shining as are those of many other societies, unfortunately behind the marketing there is also a reality.

Best system, for who? Can you think of any for whom it is not the best?

Benign - Blackwater?

Who will or can hold them for abuse of power in the US society?

:oldgit: us old gits eh? :D

It's good to have a "frank excange of views" without the flamethrowers coming out :thumbsup:

Blackwater is a perfect example of western democracy holding itself to account.

The free press in the west (sometimes) makes sure that the government does it's job legally ( That is the members of the press not engaged in following Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie around the place :rolleyes: )

If an abuse is being perpetrated by a mid east theocracy or other form of totalitarian regime. It will go on for years or decades without any internal censure.

Put it this way. If you had to be occupied by someone who would you rather it be The US and UK or China