possibly a dumb exhaust question

wheelsucker

after hearing the sound clip of the stock exhaust vs M4 Carbon's, I'm debating on changing out. The problem is I don't want to add a PC3. So I'm wondering what would be better, switching out the can's or switching to a Mistral crossover?

The reason for not wanting to add the pc3 is I don't want to have to mess around with mapping and such.

Either an aftermarket crossover or better flowing cans will give you more power and more noise. Both together is will give you even more of each, but you should probably add a PCIII or get your ECU remapped at that point to get the most power out of your changes.

after hearing the sound clip of the stock exhaust vs M4 Carbon's, I'm debating on changing out. The problem is I don't want to add a PC3. So I'm wondering what would be better, switching out the can's or switching to a Mistral crossover?

The reason for not wanting to add the pc3 is I don't want to have to mess around with mapping and such.

I started with M4s and no PC3 or crossover. The sound was great, somewhat louder than stock but low and not at all raspy. The bike ran well but anytime you uncork your exhaust you are making things leaner. If you have no problems now you probably won't after just doing the cans. When I swapped the crossover, I added a PC3 and then realized the biggest performance improvement. You will not get the full benefit of any intake or exhaust modification without altering fuel mapping.

If sound is your goal, then go with the M4s

I recommend getting the new cans before or as you buy the PCIII and then when you order the PCIII you may be able to get the right map pre-installed on it if you order from the right source e.g. GuzziTech. You may want to open up the breathing a bit too - I like the K&N's.

I totally recommend the PCIII.

Good luck - this will all make a huge difference in your bike.

Bob

A PCIII won't just correct your fuelling for the new, non-standard parts, but it will fill in some enormous holes in the standard set up too. Until you have run with one, you don't realise how glitchy and lumpy your bike was as standard.

Mine went up by a fraction. It used to be rare that I got as high as 37mpg. Now I get 37-40 consistently.

Me too....... I think that the better midrange drivability as a result of the smoothing of the infamous flat spot encourages less desire to "get through" that RPM range.

how much does fuel mileage go down when doing a full exhaust and pc3?

My mileage is better too. When stock, you are riding around flat spots generally using more throttle.