I'm an idiot.

DeBenGuzzi

I was at work, took the aprilia with 1600 mi and no payments made yet to work today a lovely 45degree F outside. I get ready to go, warm up the ape and then leave my parking spot siting upright easing it out go to turn right and it goes down like a sack of taters, I mean RIGHT down. the tires were cold, I knew this but I didn't know it would be THAT bad. the right side of the bike is scratched up, brake pedal broke off, top fairing cracked bad middle fairing scratches lower fairing scratched and a peice broke off, dent/scrape in the Leo can I'm still in shock, I have a tiny bit of road rash on my knee but I was only going about a slow jog, I guess I should have bought sliders and I wouldn't have this problem I could have just picked the bike up and left.

I'm going to go cry and try not to panic on what to do,

do I call the insurance and I think my deductable is like 750 so if the fairings are 1000 to replace then thats not really worth it and my insurance would go up I'm sure I don't know I'm just shaken up and this was the last day I Was going to have it out and it was getting winterized and put in the shed tomorrow and then this happens. :(

Oh man that to bad! That was difficult to read and its not even my bike....bummer! Guy has some good advice think it through before you do anything. Well at least you have the winter to gather parts if you go that route. Good luck.

Hal

Very sorry to hear about this. At least you didn't get too banged up out of the deal. The parts will be out there. Once it's fixed, rest easier- the stress and worry of the 'perfect brand new bike' will now be behind you, and you can really start to enjoy that thing!

Too bad Ben, it's something that is all too easy to do this time of year for us in the north. Having good grip is easily assumed after a season of warm weather riding.

Good luck with the fix.

Very sorry to hear about this. At least you didn't get too banged up out of the deal. The parts will be out there. Once it's fixed, rest easier- the stress and worry of the 'perfect brand new bike' will now be behind you, and you can really start to enjoy that thing!

thats exactly how I feel after a good rest and thinking it over.

thanks everyone for the support as I was REALLY shookenup last night, I actually cried a little. and if you know me, thats really rare, I Think the last time I cried is when I broke my ankle in 3 places and had to have a full leg cast.

the parts from AF1 will only be like $600 and I Think my deductible is 750 OUCH so thats not the best route to go, they don't have the top fairing and its cracked so if anyone knows a good way to weld platics from the underside I'm all ears.

truth betold it could have been a LOT worse. I'm very lucky.

I'm going to go get pictures, anyone know how to cut done Leo's for me, that'd get ride of 95% of the dent/scuff. :notworthy:

DSC_2306.jpg

DSC_2307.jpg

DSC_2308.jpg

DSC_2309.jpg

DSC_2310.jpg

DSC_2316.jpg

DSC_2311.jpg

DSC_2314.jpg

guess cutting down the cans won't help, my memory was fuzzy, those scratches look so sparkely in the sunlight ^_^

oh well I'm sure my best bet there is a buff, or yeah most of this'll just buff right out. :lol:

looks like I gots some work to do :luigi:

just need help on that pesky crack.

Ben, this sort of stuff just does happen to the best of us. It happened to me once, on my last ride before a winter lay-up, with greasy roads and cold tyres and similar results. You'll sort it. Like everyone says, don't rush things: you've got all winter to fix it. Those photos bring it close up: feeling it with you, brother!

I also can feel your pain. I did a very simular accident on my V11 a short time ago. Cold morning, 2 minutes from home and overly ambitious with the rear brake for cold tires. The Guzzi's come in a little cheaper on the spills without the fairing though. Total bill $411. Not worth the insurance claim.

Just think on the bright side, if you're still kickin they make new parts everyday!!!

I also can feel your pain. I did a very simular accident on my V11 a short time ago. Cold morning, 2 minutes from home and overly ambitious with the rear brake for cold tires. The Guzzi's come in a little cheaper on the spills without the fairing though. Total bill $411. Not worth the insurance claim.

Just think on the bright side, if you're still kickin they make new parts everyday!!!

scary thing was, I was making a right hand turn almost a u-turn and didn't touch the brake, the bike just went out from under me upon lean in. braking I could understand more. <_>

scary thing was, I was making a right hand turn almost a u-turn and didn't touch the brake, the bike just went out from under me upon lean in. braking I could understand more. <_>

Craigs list and eBay are full of (stolen?) parts to buy cheap. Look around, you are bound to find what you need over the winter and be ready by spring.

just a heads up, Metzeler Rennsports SUCK, they're great for dry moderate-high temps but anything low or wet and they don't perform very well at all, I'd say a great tire to shag on the track then get something more street worthy, as usual ymmv :oldgit:

Sorry about your event.

Just my humble opinion, but Pirelli Stradas feel like the best wet and cold weather tire that I have ever tried.

I am pretty sure some others well second that.

Don't beat yourself up over messing up. I am sure more than a few of us have lost it because of cold tires.

Last Winter I followed a buddy who is an excellent rider and watched him go down right in front of me because of cold tires. Unless you have actually seen how easy it is to crash on cold tires you will never know it can happen so easily.

For what it is worth, he was using a fine brand Sport tire, suitable for track days, while I was matching his speed with the Strada sport touring tires, and that is clearly what made the difference between him crashing and not me. He is a far better rider than I, but it was the tires that made the difference. Probably 5mph faster through that turn and I would have crashed too.

Have fun out there, but remember the tires have limits and road surfaces are not always predictable.

My sympathies, Ben. Looks like everything will eventually work out OK for you.

I've been riding a long time, but my experience with today's sport tires is fairly new. I have to say that the virtually non-existent grooves make me particularly nervous about wet roads and cold rubber. I've done a lot of dirt and road riding on new tires, and on those worn down to almost smooth. Yes, I too have been down a few times over the years. Usually happens in a surprising split second. Grooves sure help when things get slippery in the dirt. Smooth road surface against smooth rubber sure still makes me nervous, especially when it isn't warm and dry.

I remember how I used to take some outrageous bank angles even with knobby tires on my dirt bike when on the road.

When my present original sport tires wear out, I'll be taking a hard look at the tire tread groove design.