Fuel Light: switches On after starting, then Off when riding ?

tmcafe

Sorry if this has been covered before. Tonight I noticed the fuel light switched on after starting the engine and continued staying on. Shortly after I took off, the fuel light switched off. I've seen this pattern at least a couple times tonight, though I'm not sure if every time it happened the same (there may have been a few times when the fuel light didn't go on). Is this a common problem, and if so, are there fixes? Thanks in advance.

To do with how the bike sits on the stand perhaps, then takes a short while to settle to the new upright position when you start it up and ride. I believe that my Sporti uses a thermistor to sense low fuel level, which certainly takes a while to change state.

The low fuel light is one of the common failures for your bike model.

If it has the original speedo cable in it, that's another one. There is an MG service note to dealers on that and a new, improved, cable available.

If vacuum builds in the gas tank, that's another, caused by improper orientation of the tipover valve under the tank.

Thanks. Sure putting gas in cured it. Also I noticed that when the light goes on, it seems to act kind of like a dimmer switch that gets turned up until it's full on.

My speedo cable broke and was replaced with the upgrade about two weeks ago. The tach cable most likely is still the original. I'll see if I can have my local dealer replace it based on the Guzzi tech bulletin, even though the cable it still works.

hi tmcafe'

My mg is the same , comes on up hill and downhill , put a gallon in fine for 40 miles or their abouts .would be good to see how much fuel you actually have once the light comes on . Manuel stats 5 litres.maybe put a small fuel can in rucksack and go for a run until it starts coughing . don't really want to run the dregs,must be some rubbish in the bottom .

maybe put a small fuel can in rucksack and go for a run until it starts coughing . don't really want to run the dregs,must be some rubbish in the bottom .
I wish I had done that a year ago before I got stuck on my Dakar in the desert just within 5 miles or so from Winnemucca, NV, around 3:30 AM, freezing cold and semis blowing by. :blush: