Cool article in PB on MGS street conversion

mznyc

Have you guys seen the article in UK's PB mag this month on a MGS street conversion?Very cool.

Mr M was his name.One of us?

Why is it taking so long for Guzzi to give us a hot street bike?(rhetorical)It dosen't have to be a Ducati beater,just fun,sexy,and at least 100hp ferchristsake!Very modest in a world of 170hp,sub 400lbs bikes.

Why is it taking so long for Guzzi to give us a hot street bike?(rhetorical)It dosen't have to be a Ducati beater,just fun,sexy,and at least 100hp ferchristsake!Very modest in a world of 170hp,sub 400lbs bikes.

Well the new Guzzi 8valve will have right near 100rwhp & the Griso is a fun sexy looking bike. I'd like to see a what a new Lemans with a single sided swingarm & good suspension would look like myself.

Guzzi is probably very reluctant to build a sportbike because they believe not enough people would really buy it. The sportbike market is really tough these days with Ducati selling their hottest bike for just under 15k. I dont think Guzzi wants to try & make a sporty bike with a price that is around or under 10k. If they would price it higher than that, people are going to damn rightly expect the bike to perform as well as most other bikes in the upper price ranges.

Maybe we should start a poll to see how many of us would like to see Guzzi build a bike the way Buell is doing. Namely a liquid cooled modern v twin engine from the Aprilia line maybe?

As much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning more and more to the idea that Guzzi will not produce another sporty bike. They have already got the sporty arm of the business with Aprilia, so why bother with one with a Guzzi badge on it?

As much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning more and more to the idea that Guzzi will not produce another sporty bike. They have already got the sporty arm of the business with Aprilia, so why bother with one with a Guzzi badge on it?

That's a good point. I don't think there will ever be a competitive sport bike from Guzzi. Most of us old farts would be satisfied with a competent one though. The new 8V motor seems to be much improved. I don't see why they wouldn't put it in a partially faired, decent handling bike. 400lbs and 150+ HP is a dream but 450lbs and 110HP is not far fetched. There is something to be said for a bike that is a good handler, enough power to keep your attention yet comfortable enough for the 40+ year olds. I don't know about the rest of you but if I spent all day folded up on a full sport bike, I'd need a chiropractor. Not so with the V11.

That's a good point. I don't think there will ever be a competitive sport bike from Guzzi. Most of us old farts would be satisfied with a competent one though. The new 8V motor seems to be much improved. I don't see why they wouldn't put it in a partially faired, decent handling bike. 400lbs and 150+ HP is a dream but 450lbs and 110HP is not far fetched. There is something to be said for a bike that is a good handler, enough power to keep your attention yet comfortable enough for the 40+ year olds. I don't know about the rest of you but if I spent all day folded up on a full sport bike, I'd need a chiropractor. Not so with the V11.

Amen!!

Basically, who needs a 180 bhp (+) rocket which goes from zero to disaster in 2.5 seconds? Admit it - you don't. I absolutely agree with Dan M on this issue.

Had a dry run on a 996S Ducati - a fantastic looking bike but not suitable for a lanky fat bastard like yours truly. Could place it on the mantelpiece though...... :D

Driving fast is dead easy; any sad plonker from the local pub can do that. Handling a bike is another question and this is where the V11 steps in. Admittingly it's too heavy and too underpowered. A few more ponies and a slim fast diet wouldn't harm either but overall I'm a happy camper and won't part with my Scura.

Cheers

Søren

There's a difference between a water-cooled balls out sportbike and an air-cooled decent performing sport-standard or sport-tourer. Yes, I know that Piaggio/Guzzi is advertising the Norge as a "sport-tourer," but let's be honest: it's definitely leaning more to the GL1800 side of sport-tourer than say, the FJR1300 side.

So yes, there's no way Guzzi is going to release a sport bike that is a patch on any of the Aprilia race-rep inspired models, but there's definitely room for something along the lines of the Le Mans [a name plate that has done very well for the company over the past 30 years, btw] w/ the new 4v engine. If Guzzi misses this obvious market niche, then they deserve to go the way of the dodo bird, imnsho. <_>

Hopefully, they'll give us what we want, & the world will beat a path to their door. :thumbsup:

I didn't say anything about a sports bike, I said a "sporty bike". Aprilia already have the sporty end of the sport tourer market with the tuono and the sports-bike with the RSV. Guzzi have the touring end with the Cali and the Norge and are trying to get into the muscle bike and the off road-style with the Griso and the Stelvio. To me, between the two of them, that's a full house. But then I am a bit of a pessimist!!

I've got one in my garage:

TuonoFactory001.jpg

Quite frankly, no production Guzzi can touch it: 139 crank HP and 416 lbs, a Moto GP champion, aluminum frame, swingarm, chain final drive. Very easily tweakable to 150+ crank HP. The engine response is stunning. There is also no way that an air cooled engine is going to run as well throughout the rev range as a water cooled one, much the same way that the suspension action of a shaft drive bike does not compare to a chain drive one. I see no point in Guzzi going that direction, unless it's competitive.

Why would Guzzi want to compete with Aprilia? That makes no sense. They are aiming for BMW/Ducati's sport touring segment, which is wise.

Why would Piaggio build a Guzzi with an Aprila engine when they already have Aprilia?

I agree with 'Richard.' MG needs a "sporty" bike, not necessarily a sportbike. And judging from this forum there are a lot of (other) folks whom agree. I just put a deposit on a 1200 Sport; the aesthetics are somewhat 'sporty' but the running gear is lacking. How I would love a half-faired, pleasing to the eye, Guzzi with the 8V motor.

By the way, Aprilia was never a Moto GP champion - never even came close. Their first year the best finish was 11th, the second Edwards got a 6th and the third and last year they contested the MotoGp Championship their best finish was 14th.

If Guzzi manufactures a new road legal sport bike like the Daytona used to be or better the MGS-01, mine will be the first one coming out of the assembly line, full stop.

I couldn't care less if it has 100 or 200 HP.

I bought one too,

DSC_2256.jpg

nothing like the V11 and I likes it that way. I would have gone after a MGS, IF they were available and road legal AND somewhat affordable. I paid 14k when all said and done for that ape why not put it in the Guzzi fold with a nice MGS road or who knows. I'm liking that HP2 sport but then its a BMW and I hear they're about as rock solid as the old AMF's. I'm thinking I might trade up the V11 to a Stelvio as I've wanted a Dual Sport since I was a kid even if the less beaten roads are getting harder to find. Guzzi would do right to stick the path they've chosen as no dumb squid is going to buy a Guzzi

kinda steal a quote and tweak it, anyone under 30 and isnt on a crotch rocket doesn't have heart, anyone over 30 and not on a Guzzi doesn't have a brain. ^_^

I like to have heart and brains. B)

Aprillia,unfortunately may be our best option.You get a sexy Italian V-Twin that's more comfortable and streetable than a 1098,better build quality than a V11.Iv'e never liked the lines of Aprillia bikes(very square),dont have the nice curves of the V11 or 80'2,90's Ducs,but,.....Ive seen a lot of Factory RSV,s(Ohlins,Brembo,Race can/ecu,Oz wheels,lota carboni)comfortable,for a sportbike, position,and 120HP's, and no multitude of desighn problems that have plauged our v11's,on Ebay. Clean low mileage,late models in the 10-12k range,and standard RSV's for7-9k.Dont sound too bad either,...

I'd love an MGS serie. I don't even care what motor is in it. Make it available for $15,000 or less and I'm a serious customer.

Otherwise my next sportbike will be a Ducati 848 Superbike.

I don't care a thing about Aprilia and think it's unfortunate that Guzzi is owned by Aprilia/Piaggio...

It's very unlikely that I'll ever own anything sold with a Piaggio or Aprilia badge...