Tire Life

ponti_33609

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would replace them personally. I have done more damage to a bike in one of those "WTF?" moments when let down by old tires then I saved by not replacing them. Plus, tire tech is constantly improving and even average tires now are better then great tires from 8 years ago. And new tires always seem to make a bike feel better, like new sneakers.

That's the thing about old tires, they work fine until they don't, and when they don't, it will be when you need them. When I got my LeMans it was 3 years old with only 900 miles. The Bridgestones looked like new. On two occasions they let go abruptly, once the front & once the rear. I didn't crash on either occasion but nearly left a permanent pinch mark on my seat and bruised my confidence. I quickly switched to Pirelli Stradas and they are terrific. Super grip, excellent feedback, wet, dry, hot or cold.

That's the thing about old tires, they work fine until they don't, and when they don't, it will be when you need them. When I got my LeMans it was 3 years old with only 900 miles. The Bridgestones looked like new. On two occasions they let go abruptly, once the front & once the rear. I didn't crash on either occasion but nearly left a permanent pinch mark on my seat and bruised my confidence. I quickly switched to Pirelli Stradas and they are terrific. Super grip, excellent feedback, wet, dry, hot or cold.

Wow! Thanks for the comments, Dan.

Memories of the time I lost it trying to take corners like I was at Watkins Glen on knobbies 30 years ago, still create fear sometimes when taking a sharp corner on the Guzzi, even though there is no comparison.

So the tires were made around 2002, right?

Do you recall which Bridgestones they were?

So the tires were made around 2002, right?

Do you recall which Bridgestones they were?

I'm not sure which Bridgestones were fitted - they were the OE tires, maybe BT020. I did not look at the serial # to check the production date but I'd guess late 2001.

I am by no means claiming the Bridgestones are inferior. I just think they were hard from age. That said, I've nearly always removed OE Bridgestones from bikes and opted for Metzelers, Avons or in this case Pirellis.