I want a squarehead!

Guest RoMoMoTo

Guest RoMoMoTo

I posted this to the new member intro section, but think it's more appropriate here?

New here but not green. About me: 40 years in the saddle, pretty competent shade tree mechanic. Among the dozens of bikes I've had over the decades, my one keeper has been a Norton Commando I've had since 1982. Burned up in a garage fire last year, I'm nearly finished restoring it.

This year I bought a CX100 basket case, which I'm almost done assembling. So, I'm pretty comfortable with wrenching, fiddling and keeping an old machine running.

As a motorcycle tour company operator - and tour guide - I need a good bike for about 10,000 miles per year. I've been using a Suzuki DL650 (V-Strom) for this purpose, and though it's comfortable and reliable, it has no soul. So I'm thinking about replacing it with a Guzzi - not a new one, but one that's been broken in and had any initial glitches addressed. I tend to be an old school, cafe racer kind of guy, and have developed a serious jones for a V11 LeMans. I have my eye on a 2002 LeMans with low miles.

I've done some reading about breaking tranny spring, overloaded relays, etc., and that stuff doesn't really scare me, though I don't like a breakdown on the road while leading a tour. Also, I need pretty reasonable all-day comfort, and I'm not a young buck.

While the LeMans is sexy as hell, the Quota is probably a bit more versatile, as it should be more content on the occasional dirt/gravel road. But it ain't sexy...

I sure would be happy to get your learned opinions on the suitability of the LeMans I mention above, or maybe a Quota, for my purposes. I'll eliminate the California and related models right off the bat, as I don't like cruiser styling.

Thanks for any/all feedback.

RoMoMoTo

Welcome RoMoMoto,

I don't see any reason that you couldn't use the V11 LeMans for your purpose IF the ergo's suit you. It's definitely not going to feel like your weestrom. Many here are fine with the stock ergo's while many others add bar risers, lower pegs and modified seats. It all depends on what you're comfortable with. You should try and get a ride on a V11 and see what you think.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. The things you mentioned are easily remedied. If the fixes are done properly, I believe these bikes are very reliable. The LeMans is quite comfortable is stock form and can be enhanced to suit your size and riding style. The suspension needs tuning for best ride and handling but again, when done right it transforms the bike.

There is a current thread about comparing the V11 to a BMW sport bike among others. The consensus of the faithful here is, while other bikes make more horsepower, are lighter and may handle better, the overall riding experience cannot comapre to the Guzzi.

:mg:

I did 26.4 miles on a very remote gravel road last March on a fully laden Norge. I've done far more than that on a Sport 1100i. I wouldn't think a V11 LeMans or Sport would be very much different. Not off-road bikes for sure, but if you have the skills (I don't really) or you're nuts (ah... that fits!), they're possibly tolerable for some of that type of riding.

Guest RoMoMoTo
I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. The things you mentioned are easily remedied. If the fixes are done properly, I believe these bikes are very reliable. The LeMans is quite comfortable is stock form and can be enhanced to suit your size and riding style. The suspension needs tuning for best ride and handling but again, when done right it transforms the bike.

There is a current thread about comparing the V11 to a BMW sport bike among others. The consensus of the faithful here is, while other bikes make more horsepower, are lighter and may handle better, the overall riding experience cannot comapre to the Guzzi.

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your insights. I agree, the overall riding experience is the goal, and I see that in the LeMans. There seem to be a number of opinions on comfort and ergonomics, and obviously that's an individual thing.

I guess what I should have asked as far as the reliability question is, should I seek or stay away from specific models/specific years because the next year was 100% better, that sort of thing.

RoMoMoTo

Guest RoMoMoTo
Welcome RoMoMoto,

I don't see any reason that you couldn't use the V11 LeMans for your purpose IF the ergo's suit you. It's definitely not going to feel like your weestrom. Many here are fine with the stock ergo's while many others add bar risers, lower pegs and modified seats. It all depends on what you're comfortable with. You should try and get a ride on a V11 and see what you think.

Good luck!

Thanks Tom. I know it won't feel anything like the weestrom - though a Quota might? - and I can't know about the ergos until I try one out. And as you say, the three contact points can be moved around if desired.

RoMoMoTo

Guest RoMoMoTo
I did 26.4 miles on a very remote gravel road last March on a fully laden Norge. I've done far more than that on a Sport 1100i. I wouldn't think a V11 LeMans or Sport would be very much different. Not off-road bikes for sure, but if you have the skills (I don't really) or you're nuts (ah... that fits!), they're possibly tolerable for some of that type of riding.

Callison,

I already have frequent flier miles at my favorite body and paint shop. I would hate to damage that sexy bodywork by taking the bike where it wasn't meant to go. I have A Moto Morini Camel and DR650 for any serious off-pavement stuff, and out here in Colorado there are lots of fun, unpaved routes and I've often taken the wrong bike into the outback. I wouldn't be afraid to take a LeMans down a dirt road if I needed to - I do that with my FJ1200 - but it's not so much fun.

RoMoMoTo

Guest RoMoMoTo
Check out this Quota on ebay. This guy sounds like he may have ridden a mile or two . . .

Yeah, I checked that out - amusing description. I might be tempted by a lower-mileage Quota, closer to home. I'd need to ride one, which I haven't done, to see how it strikes me. I do like the upright seating and wide bars for all day, effortless running. And I've heard that a Quota's fun to toss around in the twisty stuff.

RoMoMoTo

I guess what I should have asked as far as the reliability question is, should I seek or stay away from specific models/specific years because the next year was 100% better, that sort of thing.

RoMoMoTo

Well, the 2002 & earlier V11s have a potential for vapor lock when ridden in hot climates & then stopped for a brief period. These models are recognizable by the genuine artificial leatherette "chin guard" on the tank surrounding & stretching back from the gas cap. The LeMans Tenni is a 2002 special edition which has the fuel pump in a different location [similar to the Centauros & 1100 Sporti] & appears exempt. Other than the shifter spring you already mentioned & the "blistering cases" issues, there's not really much in the way of reliability problems.

The 2003 & later models moved the fuel pump inside the fuel tank to solve the vapor locking, but added the front balance pipe on the headers, which has proven troublesome for many. So flip a coin & take your chances! :lol:

I had a Quota for a while. Great on gravel, not so great off road. It is a fun and comfortable bike, I tried to buy it back from my freiend and he won't part with it. About 50,000 miles on it now with original motor and drive train.

I'm hold out for the Stelivo (?), more power, better lights I hope...

:bike:

Guest RoMoMoTo
I had a Quota for a while. Great on gravel, not so great off road. It is a fun and comfortable bike, I tried to buy it back from my freiend and he won't part with it. About 50,000 miles on it now with original motor and drive train.

I'm hold out for the Stelivo (?), more power, better lights I hope...

:bike:

Hi Tracey,

Great on gravel is good. I have other bikes for more serious offroad stuff. How did you like it on asphalt?

RoMoMoTo

Hi Tracey,

Great on gravel is good. I have other bikes for more serious offroad stuff. How did you like it on asphalt?

RoMoMoTo

Depends on the tires, I had good sucess with the Metzler dual sport type (tourance?). Several trips over Deals Gap in the Smokies and lots of commuter miles. Holds the road pretty well but would never keep pace with a V11. Mine had a power comander, double cross-over and Remus exhaust. Russell saddle, hard bags and a big windshield. I used to have a lot of fun suprising the BMW GS guys with the sound and performance. They would get in front of me on dry pavement, power for electrical gadgets and MPG. But I could give them a great run on the gravel...

I really miss that bike!

Guest RoMoMoTo
Depends on the tires, I had good sucess with the Metzler dual sport type (tourance?). Several trips over Deals Gap in the Smokies and lots of commuter miles. Holds the road pretty well but would never keep pace with a V11. Mine had a power comander, double cross-over and Remus exhaust. Russell saddle, hard bags and a big windshield. I used to have a lot of fun suprising the BMW GS guys with the sound and performance. They would get in front of me on dry pavement, power for electrical gadgets and MPG. But I could give them a great run on the gravel...

I really miss that bike!

I've had good success with Metzeler Tourance tires on My V-Strom too. What were you using for hard bags?

RoMoMoTo