Dropped It!

polebridge

Well...I was preparing to do a winter project on my bike and dropped it over (to the right) trying to get in on the shop stand. Thankfully, not much damage done. I was able to bend everything back into place and no scatches or dents anywhere. I'll count myself lucky for now. The only thing that I need to replace is the rubber trim around the outside of the windscreen.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement piece of this stuff? It's a 2004 V11 Cafe Sport Coppa Italia.

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

Well...I was preparing to do a winter project on my bike and dropped it over (to the right) trying to get in on the shop stand. Thankfully, not much damage done. I was able to bend everything back into place and no scatches or dents anywhere. I'll count myself lucky for now. The only thing that I need to replace is the rubber trim around the outside of the windscreen.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement piece of this stuff? It's a 2004 V11 Cafe Sport Coppa Italia.

Been there, got the t-shirt. I did it on the outside in front of all my neighbours (probably noone saw me but it felt like all of them was watching). That situation is a real back-killer too. Good it turned out pretty much OK for you.

Been there, got the t-shirt. I did it on the outside in front of all my neighbours (probably noone saw me but it felt like all of them was watching). That situation is a real back-killer too. Good it turned out pretty much OK for you.

Thanks. How did it turn out for you? Hope it wasn't too bad. By the way, where do you get the T-shirt???

Thanks. How did it turn out for you? Hope it wasn't too bad. By the way, where do you get the T-shirt???

The shop stand handle made a significant mark in my right head guard since it ended up between that and the tarmac. That's in a wide sense what the guard is made for, and actually nothing much else happened. Maybe that handle saved my brake lever! So I was even more lucky than you! My back hurt for a week though. Panic mode, just grab and lift. Bike weighs like almost four of me... But all is good now.

The only thing that I need to replace is the rubber trim around the outside of the windscreen.

I replaced some rubber trim on my LM fairing with some neoprene edge protector from McMaster-Carr . Type "edge protector" in their search box and you should be able to find a profile that will closely match the factory stuff.

Here's another option: http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm . Some reviews I've seen on the web say this stuff works, others say it's useless :huh2: Maybe a search here would turn up some first hand knowledge?

Happy Holidays to you too! :bier:

Dropping a bike sucks no matter how you do it. Glad to hear it's not that big a deal in your case. I too was wondering about perhaps trying the saeng edge. At least for the 650 Dakar windshield I remember they (saeng) were not recommending it. Perhaps it would work for the Coppa/Cafe windshield. If I had a reason to replace mine, I'd sure try it. You may check with saeng and see what they say. I remember they seemed pretty open about sharing that kind of info when I called.

The shop stand works great, except for the fact that its width is about 1/4 - 1/8 inch broader than it should, so I've found it rests rather precariously on either bolt. I've tried to narrow the gap between the two arms of the stand by hitting it with a rubber mallet while the other side rested on a 2x4, but didn't see much of a change, if any. I've been reluctant to try tougher methods, and so far the stand has done its job great, except for that detail. I don't know how the stand contributed to dropping your bike, but all I can think of is that stupid extra distance that makes me paranoid about how secure it grabs both bolts.

Once in 15 yrs? Man..your no fun.

I haven't dropped the LeMans yet but I'm sure I will someday.

The SP went down 3 times one year. All parking lot / kickstand related.

I started calling it "the Turtle" because it was always on it's back.

On one big trip everyone in my group of six dropped their bike at least once.

Never seen any of them drop their bike before or since in 35+ years.

Broken kickstand, sand/oil under a foot, wet grass. It was like a plague.

You got a lot of catching up to do.

Guest NotRight

When I buy a new motorcycle the first thing I do is wheel it out the dealer's front door and tip it over onto the pavement. It just feels better getting it out of the way and its convenient as the parts counter is right there to assist.

I replaced some rubber trim on my LM fairing with some neoprene edge protector from McMaster-Carr . Type "edge protector" in their search box and you should be able to find a profile that will closely match the factory stuff.

Here's another option: http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm . Some reviews I've seen on the web say this stuff works, others say it's useless :huh2: Maybe a search here would turn up some first hand knowledge?

Happy Holidays to you too! :bier:

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered some of the edge protector from McMaster-Carr. It was the least expensive option and I think the closest to the OEM stuff.

I received it in the mail already and it looks like it will work fine. I haven't had a change to fit it yet but I will let you know how it goes as soon as I try it out.

Thanks again. I really don't know how I would have found this stuff if not for this forum!