Tool Kit Missing

Orson

Guys,

On my last trip, my tool kit somehow came up missing. I don't know if it was stolen at a bike shop in Portugal where I had my oil changed or, if it fell out on the road. I noticed my seat latch keeps popping open (does anyone else have this problem?) so, maybe it was stolen while parked at a hotel though, I doubt a thief would take the time to put the seat back on.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could provide a list of essential tools I will need to buy to replace the missing ones. I'm assuming that trying to order a replacement tool kit from Moto Guzzi will take forever.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Orson

The only items in that tool kit that are truly specific is the screwball little spanner for the shock spring adjust/front wheel nut (I hope I have this right, I'm going from memory across too many bikes...) and the 14mm allen stub used for the axle(s). Everything else in there is garden variety crap and best replaced with higher quality items anyway. I carry a complete socket set in addition to ball-end allen wrenches, metric wrenches that fit the bike, i.e., 8,9,10,11,12,13,15,17mm whathaveyou, small and medium size screwdrivers, flat and phillip, some safetywire, small flashlight etc. I operate under the Murphy's Cloud theorem. The more you have, the less likly you will be to need it. Of course, there's the corollary too, the more you have, the more likely that what you have won't work when required. So... given that wrenches and screwdrivers seldom actually fail (until worn out trying to remove something too stubborn to budge) that leaves only the "active" tools. To whit - the flashlight. And, true to Murphy, last Friday I rescued a biker who's Suzuki had died alongside the road at midnight. Naturally, my flashlight didn't work. Which means the tools don't work either as they're pretty useless in the dark by feel. Today I fixed the flashlight and put a spare flashlight in my tank bag. I'll probably get a flat tire instead of something I can fix next...

Actually, I have an entire electric pump and tubeless repair kit I carry on long trips out of town, but I don't carry it when I'm within a reasonable distance of home. Come on Murphy, I dare ya! Ooops. I probably shouldn't have thrown out that challenge! :homer:

Orson, I actually made up a little page with my toolroll contents, when I got my Le Mans last year.

Toolroll contents

I agree, though, that the tools should mostly be replaced with higher quality tools. If I had gotten a rear shock spanner (which I'm still kind of bitter about missing, since I need to adjust my suspension), that and the 14mm hex stub would be the only tools I'd keep from the kit. As it is, I replaced everything but that 14mm stub with Craftsman hand tools, including a pair of "RoboGrip" pliers and a complete set of longer, ball-end hex wrenches.

Good luck getting replacement tools, and remember that you should always get the best tools you can afford -- it's never worth it to go cheap on tools.

If you want a replacement tool bag, Rich Maund sold me quite a nice leather pouch that's designed to fit right into that space. Not terribly expensive, either. If I can find it, I'll send you my stock pouch for free, but I recommend Rich's pouch.

I cannot OVEREMPHASIZE that you BUY ONE OF RICH'S TOOL BAGS.... *NOW*

...before he sells out again, and you have to wait a month or more for him to have more material. These things are great, built like a tank, much bigger than stock, and fit the tool tray area in the V11 perfectly. And for $25, you really can't beat that.

[Disclaimer: I am not a paid spokesperson for RM Enterprises :P ]

...just the honest truth, as I have a red version of the pouch, and it's awesome :thumbsup:

BTW Rich, are the buttons/snaps on these SS or otherwise mostly impervious to rusting? I know somewhere you mentioned that they are "marine grade" snaps, and I've had no problem with mine. They are like new, but I just wondered how careful I should be about getting them wet as most "chrome" snap closures I've dealt with in the past have easily rusted, both looking poor cosmetically quite quickly, and mechanically ceasing to function or freezing shut.

Again, yours seem completely like new after a year though, even though I know they've gotten damp a few times.

Thanks again for a great product!

al

They are marine grade. I buy them wholesale in boxes of 100 from a marine hardware supplier.

They are not SS though. I stopped using them years ago as they are really stiff to snap on/off and the SS tears sometimes allowing the head to pull free of the base. Not too cool.

These are nickle & chrome over brass. Very high quality plating and designed to last 5 years in a fresh water marine environment. For a salt water environment, you use SS to get the 5 years of use. Even the SS ones get pretty nasty if they last years in salt water. SS does corrode!

Put a drop of light machine oil on them from time to time and they will last for many years. If they do come free or fail somehow, they can be drilled off and easily replaced. The SS ones are a bitch to drill off as the SS galls like crazy as you try to drill it. And hi speed grinding makes enough heat to often damage the base fabric.

I DO try to pick my hardware carefully. Otherwise it comes back later to haunt me! :lol: