Rosso Mandello

Guest Chartermarque

Guest Chartermarque

Hi Guys

Recently I bought a V11 Rosso Mandello. It is lovely machine and I plan to keep it for some time.

I understand that only 300 of these were made, can anyone direct me to information about how many went where....ie if only 3 came to the UK, it makes it a worthwhile collectable bike that would e worth keeping for a long time?

Also apart from the carbon fibre and uprated suspension, are there any other modifications on this bike from standard V11 stock?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi Guys

Recently I bought a V11 Rosso Mandello. It is lovely machine and I plan to keep it for some time.

I understand that only 300 of these were made, can anyone direct me to information about how many went where....ie if only 3 came to the UK, it makes it a worthwhile collectable bike that would e worth keeping for a long time?

Also apart from the carbon fibre and uprated suspension, are there any other modifications on this bike from standard V11 stock?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Congratulations on your new baby!

Not sure about how many were brought into the UK. Its a nice bike- it has a single plate clutch which is lighter than the twin plate.

I would not get carried away about the desirability- basically nearly every single variant of the V11 is a special limited production run- Rosso Corsa, Nero Corsa, Cafe Sport, Coppa Italia, Tenni, Scura, Scura R, Ballabio etc. Sometimes I think the standard V11 Sport and Le Mans are the rarieties!

The important thing is whether you like it- if you do, then I am sure you will want to keep it, special edition or not, but I would not necessarily assume it will be worth a fortune in years to come.

Have you joined the Moto Guzzi Club GB yet? If not, its well worth joining up.

Cheers

Guy

Guest rosso mandello

First they made 300,all with serial number. printet on the side covers. They sold our pretty fast, and then they made another 300 without number. Mine is one of the late kind.

have fun with it, it is a classic Moto Guzzi,

Mogens.

Guest Chartermarque

Thanks Guy and Mogens

Yes it really is a lovely machine. I owned a newish (2005) California for a while but didn't get on with it. The V11 has the same charm and individuality but is much more enjoyable to ride. I will look into joining the Moto Guzzi Club.

Thanks again

Mark

Mark, I have never encountered another RM in the wild...be sure to ride it more than you polish it. :lol: k

Guest V11RossoNigel

Hi there Mark, with regard to the Rosso Mandello distribution, (two runs of 300 the first numbered on side panel the second run not numbered) as far I know it was like this for each run, 60 went to the USA and only 25 were allocated to the UK, the rest as far as I know stayed in Italy. You should be able to tell by the side panel as to the country it was allocated because of the flag, as per my side panel, as you can see has a small union jack, but does not have a limited edition number, so I would presume this one was from the second run of 300 that were not numbered. Like Guy said nearly all the V11 range was brought out on some kind of limited edition, does not really mean much and will definitely not give it any extra value (except maybe for the Tenni seems to be rarer than any of the others). The main thing is do you like it? and do you like riding it? they are just bloody lovely bikes. I have had just about every kind and make of bikes know to man, about 40 plus in my time but I can honestly say I love the V11 so much that I no longer need any other machine. They are not the quickest machine by any means, but can be a very rewarding ride. I must admit it does make me smile to myself when I read some of the postings about the V11, the chaps get a little carried away, and seem to lose sight of just what the V11 really is, so just ride it and enjoy it, and remember you are riding a piece of history cause the V11 is the last proper Guzzi !

Cheers

Nige

Hi Chartermarque,

Congrats on your purchase. I have a RM number 201 as per sidecover and a piece of paper from the factory, although I'm not getting too excited about people wanting to break down my door to get hold of it as a collectors item.

I have seen another one here in Oz so they are out and about.

I'm pretty happy with it all glitches aside, but I have been a Guzzi rider for a good part of biking life, guess there is sometin about them that grows on you, bit like a fungus.

No not the fastest steed around but the way the boys in blue have been throwing bits of paper at me it appears its fast enough for them. Oh boy the 9 Point Paranoia Blues. :o

Enjoy the RM :D

Guest rosso64

I have an original #64 rosso. I started a thread on the mysteries surrounding the number of rosso's and owners sentiments that lasted forever on this, or one of the other guzzi sites.

The story goes that the us was to get 100 of the original 300 rosso's. the us only got 83 or 84. the other 16 or 17 disappeared, probly on the dock's in new york where money was passed or dealers or collecters procured a rosso for themselves, anyways, people that were promised or had deposits down on rosso's got upset so mgna decided to issue non-numbered bikes to those people, which upset a lot of numbered bike owners. At the time guzzi made a big deal about the rosso and owners really thought they had "collector" bikes. after all, it was the "80th anniversary bike" !!! We all got mahogany framed official letters from mgna authenticating the rosso.

it's a cool bike, and heads always turn when i go by. i had no idea that 300 more non-numbered "cloned" rossos were released.

to answer your question about what is unique to the rosso that other v11's didn't have at the time. double plate dry sintered clutch, hydrolic clutch, carbon fiber, one of a kind red paint job. i'm sure i left something out, but the next generation corsas had a longer wheelbase because the same frame was used for the lemans and basically the frame was stretched and didn't look as "compact" as the earlier v11's and the rosso. also handling dynamics changed from what i remember reading in all the threads that followed the evolution of the v11.

too bad the v11 is no longer made----awesome bike, i'll keep mine forever :D

The fact of the matter is the Rosso Mandello numbered series v11's will be the most collectable v11 in the long run. All the other v11 "special" bikes lingered in the dealerships & were as hard to sell as a "regular" v11. I believe its not just my biased opinion that the RM was the most desirable v11 that came from Mandello, the marketplace has determined that. I hope to keep mine for a very long time & maybe someday perhaps I can sell it for almost half of what I paid for it! :rolleyes: As far as anything performance wise theres probably not a nickels worth of difference between all the v11's except for the Ohlins suspension pieces on the Cafe/Scura etc models.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stockport claret
If anyone wants a Rosso Mandello, my local dealer has one that has sat unloved in his showroom for about a year.

Moto Strada stock list

He's not got it anymore as it's making it's way to my house tomorrow :D Can't wait. Weather man says it's going to be a nice day as well.

He's not got it anymore as it's making it's way to my house tomorrow :D Can't wait. Weather man says it's going to be a nice day as well.

Welcome to the Rosso Mandello owners club! :D I love mine & I'm sure you'll love yours once you get to ride it. Its a real head turner.