Rosso Mandello

Guest Chartermarque

I just couldnt resist throwing in my :2c:

I recently acquired my Rosso Mandello, number 266 :drink:

I have been lurking and learning here on this forum for a couple of weeks and now am embarking on a restoration and rennovation journey.

This form is full of great advise from knowledgeable people.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 months later...

I've just bought my rosso mandello from a shop in melbourne over the phone( i live in Queensland) it's a 2001 model and has an italian flag on the side cover so I suppose its second run but it's only done 2600 Kms and its my first guzzi and I like it. :D

I've just bought my rosso mandello from a shop in melbourne over the phone( i live in Queensland) it's a 2001 model and has an italian flag on the side cover so I suppose its second run but it's only done 2600 Kms and its my first guzzi and I like it. :D

Congratulations on getting a Rosso :bier:, you've got some great roads over there in QLD to enjoy it on. Did you ride it back from Melbourne? That would be a great riding holiday for a few weeks.

Enjoy your riding :mg:

I think all V11 based bikes can be considered limited production when compared to all other makes out there. With Moto Guzzi total production hovering around 5500 bikes a year for the last few years, including all the 750 variants, California variants, police issue bikes, and all the variants based on the V11 Spine frame, they could have put limited number status on every Guzzi made.

Steve

Guest ratchethack

IMPORTANT HANDLING NOTE:

Mentioned only briefly before, it's significant that the RM has the "short frame" chassis of the early red-frame Sports like mine. This means it not only has a shorter wheelbase by 16 mm (by my careful direct measurement), it also has a 25-degree headset/fork angle, which separates it from all other V11 LM and later Sport variants, all having 26-degree headset/fork angles. Of course, trail is also shortened on the RM. All of this adds up to the fact that the RM, like the red-frame Sports, will handle "quicker" -- relatively speaking, than LM and later Sport variants. Yes, it's very evident when directly comparing one to the other on the road (as I have done many times), and it gives each class of machine a distinct and separate character. Note that despite persistent old wives' tales about "dangerous handling" :not: the 25-degree bikes are still "lazy" and very "stable" handling relative to the "norm" for true "Sport" machines today, many of which have steeper 23 and 24-degree headset/fork angles, the MGS0-1 being 23.5 degrees. :mg:

Note that despite persistent old wives' tales about "dangerous handling" :not: the 25-degree bikes are still "lazy" and very "stable" handling relative to the "norm" for true "Sport" machines today, many of which have steeper 23 and 24-degree headset/fork angles, the MGS0-1 being 23.5 degrees. :mg:

What he said!

GMD Computrack notes that 25deg rake (& I forget how much trail; 4.25"?) is the "sweet spot" for handling; just a tad slower than the 23-24deg that most rice rockets sport today. The lowly SV650 is right at 25deg too, and it's widely regarded as a sweet handler; like the mythical Student Prince guitar, it makes even newbies feel like virtuosos... :thumbsup:

Anyway, the short frame spineys seem to fall into that "sweet spot" zone that the folks at GMD like so much [and as they make their living from frame straightening, it seems like they should know what works or doesn't], so you should be very happy!

I'm willing to bet that if you keep your tire pressures correct, you'll never experience that "hi speed twitchiness" that the press stuck it to Guzzi about & led the factory to change things a tad. I had a friend working on the inside who revealed that moto journos, for the most part, aren't as sharp as they'd lead you to believe... ;)

What he said!

GMD Computrack notes that 25deg rake (& I forget how much trail; 4.25"?) is the "sweet spot" for handling; just a tad slower than the 23-24deg that most rice rockets sport today. The lowly SV650 is right at 25deg too, and it's widely regarded as a sweet handler; like the mythical Student Prince guitar, it makes even newbies feel like virtuosos... :thumbsup:

Anyway, the short frame spineys seem to fall into that "sweet spot" zone that the folks at GMD like so much [and as they make their living from frame straightening, it seems like they should know what works or doesn't], so you should be very happy!

I'm willing to bet that if you keep your tire pressures correct, you'll never experience that "hi speed twitchiness" that the press stuck it to Guzzi about & led the factory to change things a tad. I had a friend working on the inside who revealed that moto journos, for the most part, aren't as sharp as they'd lead you to believe... ;)

Agreed! The handling on these bikes only starts to feel 'willowy' over 170 kmh, and only if you hit a bump mid corner, mainly a tail waggle from it's well noted shaft drive rear weight bias.

I couldn't find a Rosso Mandello anywhere when I was looking to purchase(note I did find one but it was like 13k at the time if I remember right) so I've slowly made my own, its almost finished although the tail will be black no grey

SURE it doesn't have the bubbly black engine paint or suspect single plate clutch but I love my red framed Rosso clone

DSC_3005.jpg

almost finised(body out for paint) -_-

although I have it listed for a soft sale(only posted here and the aprilia forum) I have no rush and a waning desire to sell it. I think a complete V11 fully sorted and styled with all the original body work included original silver tank,tail,fender, and 2 seats, one stock and a richmaund for $5500 is a steal but the general public doesn't seem to agree so bugger if I have to keep it, damn ^_^

heck I even got the CF chin pad, try finding one of those, I dare you

I'm hoping for BOTM when its complete, I'll take some high res photo's next to the large stack of grolsch we have in our warehouse and hopefully that'll seal the deal with Jaap. :bier:

I

DSC_3005.jpg

I think a complete V11 fully sorted and styled with all the original body work included original silver tank,tail,fender, and 2 seats, one stock and a richmaund for $5500 is a steal

Dude, I'd grab that IN A MINUTE if I could support two rides right now! :thumbsup: But then, you are "singing to the choir" I want a short frame to go with the Nero! :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

I would "entertain" an offer of $5500 for my real #74 Rosso Mandello! :lol::rolleyes: 25k miles, new tires & all new fluids.

I'll be waiting patiently for the offers to come rolling in!

hey I know, I only say that much because you it comes with a second set of body work and the tail on it is handmade plus all the nifty upgrades and 17k mi with soon to be all new fluids, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than 5k because I care too much to let it go for any less. Can't wait to take both my rides to the wheel's of italy this year