Sport 1100 (carb) cam replacement

CFB

I'm up for new cam, followers, guides and valves. Or the equivalent in regrinds, inserts etc. A tad disappointing for only a bit over 40,000km.

In Guzziology there is a note that the B10 grind could solve many of the Sport 1100s running problems at the expanse of approx 5% top end. I could work with that - I very rarely go anywhere near redline.

On a more original route HMB have V11 cams. I'm not aware of any difference between the V11 and Sport 1100 cam. Just hopefully 2000s manufacture being better than 1990s.

Other grinds obviously available but, rather than take it on the supplier's assertion, does anyone have any specific experiences?

Cam is the same for the SPorts and V11 Sports.

You could have your cam reground to a B-10 profile. We have a grinder set up with a master made from a brand-new B-10. Or you could use a Megacycle x9. We have used an x9 and mid-valve heads on a V11 and it made it a midrange monster.

I would not go for a B10 cam as I think the V11 cam is better in almost every respect. The V11 cam is very similar to the tuning cams available since the 80s like Dynotec 7906, raceco has an equivalent and HMB too. A fine cam but a street sports cam.

I would go for a cam with shorter timing and slightly more lift to increase the low end torque.

I think the comment in guzziology about the B10 relates to the early carburator 1100 sports that had a very different cam.

HMB has also a range of tuning cams and sell it as a kit with springs and followers. This is the way to go for more torque. Dynotec has too. Scola OSS is also an option. A Dyno run with scola OSS ist stored in the dyno thread.

Kinda odd you are having cam troubles so early, I have and 1100 sport with 110 000kms which seems to be hanging in there at them moment. I think the torque cam most places sell for the 1100 sports is the old P3 cam that was popular to get more go out of the MkV lemans etc etc. I'm trying to find a newer cam for my bike as I intend to rebuild the motor sometime soon but out on the wide open sweepers here in the west I could do with a bit more top end.

Who said what about the early 1100 sport cams? are they different to anything else and how do I confirm I have one is it good or bad that I could have one? (mines a 1994 model with the colour coded forks to the rest of the body work).

• 2 weeks later...

I put early cam troubles down to commuting in Sydney. I had the clutch plates down to the rivets in 35,000k... Tantamount to abuse, doing the commute, I know, but up to the point of wearing bits out its been a brilliantly reliable machine. And too much fun to leave it in first and set off the car alarms - like babies crying for Mummy to get that scarey machine away from them - among other enjoyable moments...

Followers are stuffed; cam needs a bit more than a polish, and for having pulled it out it would be foolish to put it back in as is.

All I've heard amiss about early 1100 Sport cams is that the hardening quality was variable. Part number is the same as the V11s.

Must of got a hit with the hardening then :shrug: now it might just be the fuel injection ironing things out but I got a mild impression (seat of pants only) that the 1100 sports were a bit lumpier than the V11's. There is certianly more charater to the power delivery although I'm running flatslides just to confuse issues.