Visiting Mandello del Lario

Steve G.

I'm very lucky to find myself in Mandello on the second week in Sept. of this year. I have been told that alot of Italia takes some of summer off, and that the Guzzi museum has very limited hours, and that the factory itself does not operate any kind of tour. Is any of this true?

I've seen pictures, and the area around Lake Como looks just beautiful. Is this true of the Mandello area as well? Hotels?

Ciao, Steve

I'm very lucky to find myself in Mandello on the second week in Sept. of this year. I have been told that alot of Italia takes some of summer off, and that the Guzzi museum has very limited hours, and that the factory itself does not operate any kind of tour. Is any of this true?

I've seen pictures, and the area around Lake Como looks just beautiful. Is this true of the Mandello area as well? Hotels?

Ciao, Steve

Nice.

In 2006, we stayed for a few nights a short ferry ride across the lake, in Bellagio - http://www.hc-bellagio.com/INGLESE/hotel.htm. Bit of a tourist town, but bearable. Some wires got crossed, and the hotel owner, who was fully booked, found us a place in some old lady's apartment in town. The family that own the hotel, the Borelli's, are terrific hosts. :thumbsup:

We happened to be around for World Guzzi days (3rd week of Sept?), and if that's happening this year, and if there's any way you can arrange to be there: do it! Getting to walk through the factory, see the wind tunnel, etc. was lots more fun for me than the museum alone would have been. Course if you don't have the option, and will be in town anyway, the museum is certainly worth an hour of your time: http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/museo.asp?lin=eng

Guest rosso mandello

I visit MandelloDel Lario every year i june, around the 15. or so. Me and my buddy takes a few days off, drive through Germany and Austria via Passo Della Stelvio, a must if you ask mee. Then down to Bormeo and follow the route to the north end of lake Como. Here we follow the winding road that goes along the lake, undtil we reach Mandello. We stop at the AGOSTINI shop, mostly to say hello to the nice people there. It is located wery near the factory, where you also have to get your picture taken whit the gate to the factory as background. I enjoy a caffe latte in the coffeashop located just outside the factory, and talt to the workers in their lunch break.

I do not seek the big meetings, so I have newer been there to Guzzi Days, but a lot af Danes go there. My full trottle riding scedule is not perfect for group riding, so I just go along with my buddy (on a BMW1200RS, but he is a nice fellow)

The museum is not my style, but you have to visit i guess For shopping Guzzi stuff, AGOSTINIS is my choice

Enjoy your stay in Mandello, the weather could be wery good in september.

mogens

For accommodation I recommend Al Verdes.

Lovely location at the top of the town overlooking the green mountains, lovely friendly owners who are also Guzzisti, great food and reasonably priced.

Only downside is that it is quite a walk down into town, but if you have no transport sometimes one of the staff will run you down into town if they are going that way.

Best thing to do would be to rent a bike from Agostinis and then you have your own wheels.

Have fun

Guy :helmet:

I stayed at Al Verdes (on Guy's recommendation). Any place that has this in the restaurant is cool by me....

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Ba...iday2007127.jpg

....and the food was good too!! :D The whole area around Lake Como is fantastic (especially on a bike),ENJOY!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Ba...iday2007130.jpg

I stayed at Al Verdes (on Guy's recommendation). Any place that has this in the restaurant is cool by me....

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Ba...iday2007127.jpg

....and the food was good too!! :D The whole area around Lake Como is fantastic (especially on a bike),ENJOY!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Ba...iday2007130.jpg

to see and hear that same V7sport run, click this:

http://www.dankalal.net/2006trip13/videoSportMandello.wmv

I didn't know about the place Daniel mentioned, so I ended up staying at a place about 15 kilometers north in Varenna, right next to the ferry landing. It was run by a nice lady who must have spoken 6 languages.

A bit of a funny story, right after I bought my Guzzi, I happened to be in Mandello in time for my first oil change. So naturally, I pulled up to the factory gate and announced to the old gate keeper/security guard that I was there for my oil change. The old man adorned me with a look that roughly translated to "what wagon did you fall off of" :lol: He then directed me to Agostinis around the corner :blush:

The factory museum is only open some odd hours, like from 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM. I don't think they have factory tours unless pre-arranged by a group or during Guzzi Days in September.

Steve -

I have spent a lot of time in Italy including Lombardia, the region that encompasses Lake Come. September is a perfect time to go; fewer tourist and normally good weather. The Moto Guzzi museum is closed in August so there is no problem; remember though that the museum is only open from 3 - 4 p.m. There is a docent and it's doubtful he'll speak any English but it won't matter.

Mandello is on the eastern shores of Lake Como. Ten kilometers north is the quaint fishing village of Varenna. This village is my/our (wife) favorite of any on the Lake. Our favorite place to stay is Hotel Du Lac. They have a website that you can check out. Make certain that it is the Hotel Du Lac in Varenna because there is a hotel by the same name in Bellagio, not nearly as nice. Another nice hotel in Varenna, and less expensive and more basic then Du Lac, is Albergo Olivedo. I don't know if they have a website but I have their phone number - the proprietor speaks English. Albergo (hotel) Olivedo is right by the ferry slip. Mandello and Varenna are about one and a quarter hours driving time from the Milan airport. While in Mandello visit Agostini's Moto Guzzi concessioner. Also check out a big Guzzi shop, Millepercento, which is close to Monza and not out of your way if you are driving from Milan to Lake Como.

If you want to e-mail me I can send you some photos from a kodak Gallery with shots of Varenna and Lake Como. If you're renting a motorbike, which you can do at Agostini's, I can suggest some awesome roads to venture on.

Steve -

I have spent a lot of time in Italy including Lombardia, the region that encompasses Lake Come. September is a perfect time to go; fewer tourist and normally good weather. The Moto Guzzi museum is closed in August so there is no problem; remember though that the museum is only open from 3 - 4 p.m. There is a docent and it's doubtful he'll speak any English but it won't matter.

Mandello is on the eastern shores of Lake Como. Ten kilometers north is the quaint fishing village of Varenna. This village is my/our (wife) favorite of any on the Lake. Our favorite place to stay is Hotel Du Lac. They have a website that you can check out. Make certain that it is the Hotel Du Lac in Varenna because there is a hotel by the same name in Bellagio, not nearly as nice. Another nice hotel in Varenna, and less expensive and more basic then Du Lac, is Albergo Olivedo. I don't know if they have a website but I have their phone number - the proprietor speaks English. Albergo (hotel) Olivedo is right by the ferry slip. Mandello and Varenna are about one and a quarter hours driving time from the Milan airport. While in Mandello visit Agostini's Moto Guzzi concessioner. Also check out a big Guzzi shop, Millepercento, which is close to Monza and not out of your way if you are driving from Milan to Lake Como.

If you want to e-mail me I can send you some photos from a kodak Gallery with shots of Varenna and Lake Como. If you're renting a motorbike, which you can do at Agostini's, I can suggest some awesome roads to venture on.

Thank you very much guys for the great info. I am very much looking forward to this.

It looks like I'll be spending more time in Italia than first thought, because of flying schedules. As a result, we are looking at going to Verese to the MV factory, Bologna to the Ducati factory, and Bregenze to see the town where my beloved Laverda was made.

Of course, rosso vino will be consumed at the proper times!

Ciao, Steve

Steve sounds great except I would say "vino rosso" :wub:

[quote

Of course, rosso vino will be consumed at the proper times!

Ciao, Steve

It's going to be tough brushing up on 3 new languages for this tour, and as you can see, my Italian is virtually non-existant.

Steve

Hi Steve, to add to all the above, the Guzzi World Club annual Raduno,(rally), normally takes place on the middle weekend of september - 20,000+ Guzzista in Mandello. More beautiful Guzzis than you can shake a stick at. I go every year. Accomodation can be tight for these three days.

August is when Italy goes on holiday.

Hi Steve, to add to all the above, the Guzzi World Club annual Raduno,(rally), normally takes place on the middle weekend of september - 20,000+ Guzzista in Mandello. More beautiful Guzzis than you can shake a stick at. I go every year. Accomodation can be tight for these three days.

August is when Italy goes on holiday.

......motors.jpg...................tunnel.jpg...

... :thumbsup: