The luggage question...

tripletom

I'm looking to do some mileage on the V11, I have seen so far the Hepco Becker racks, and also soft panniers (throwovers and pannier/tailpack combos). Lookig really for some advice on what people have used before and costs/recommendations.

Thanks for your time!!

I don't have a specific answer but some thoughts: It's impossible to find hard bags to my grandfather-of-V11 and that is the one thing I really regret about my bike (now that I actually found the last central stand in the world). You just can't compare soft panniers to real bags. Also, I would not buy bags that can't hold a helmet, but that's me.

Also IMO, a good tank bag should compliment any other bags. I often go without other bags but my Bagster tank bag stays on most of the time. Map pocket, small pocket for keys etc. makes me want it all the time.

I've been working on a solution for my '04 Ballabio; so far I've purchased a used Teknic (quick removable reinforced cordura bags) setup that doesn't fit and a Stucchi rear rack that doesn't work with the Teknic setup! However, with a little cutting and welding I believe everything will come together eventually. Meanwhile I'm considering some simple waterproof throw-over saddlebags like the Ortliebs. That approach leaves the bike clean when you just want that nice elemental look.

One other idea I had was to buy a set of the small 21 litre givi bags. However you would have to make your own brackets and the bags are a bit tall for the V11 application and might interfere with a passenger, but I believe they would be the best solution overall, what with their locking capabilities, good looks (color matching lids) and relatively low cost.

John

H&Bs work great. My V11's a commuter/grocery getter, so I leave them on full-time. I've hauled complete Guzzi engine blocks on the rear rack. It's a very nice system. I have 30L bags because the 40s just look too wide. Somedays, I wish I had the 40s, but not that often.

I have a cheap set of throw-overs I use if I`m riding double. Riding single I just use a tote baq on the seat behind me and with those handy sealable plastic storage bags I no longer bother with rain covers.

I also use a Nelson-Rigg tank bag....love it.

For the money Cortech makes a very nice set of bags, two sets actually. The smaller set is called the "Sport" series,and Ive forgotten what the larger (squarer) set of saddle bags are called. Cortech also makes two matching tailbags that integrates very nicely with their lsaddlebags. I have the larger of the two tailbags, which also works well with my Famsa saddlebags.

Famsa saddlebags are very nice, but a little pricier than the Cortech bags. I tried to get the larger of their "Sport" series but that is no longer available. I settled for the smaller set, which is expandable and still larger than the smaller Cortech saddlebags, but seem to be more robust. The disadvantage of the Famsa bags is that the mounting seems to be a little more cumbersome than the Cortechs. Once mounted though, they look and perform very nicely.

I have a cheap set of throw-overs I use if I`m riding double. Riding single I just use a tote baq on the seat behind me and with those handy sealable plastic storage bags I no longer bother with rain covers.

I also use a Nelson-Rigg tank bag....love it.

I don't have one but Ventura luggage sells this for serveral guzzi models including the LeMans.

See the link below.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/content/fitmen...ufacturerPK=107

kernel_images_actualRender.jpg

Cant add links from here, but on p.43 of the "Post a Picture of Your V11" thread There are two photos of the Famsa saddlebags.

FWIW, I'd much prefer hard bags for longer rides/touring. I'm hoping one of you brave souls will step up and mount a set of the new Givi 35s to a V11. ;) Somebody ought to

The factory Teknic bags work OK for short rides, but if you really want to do some serious miles go with the Hepco Becker rack and hard bags. You can use either the 30 or 40 liter bags which are water proof and lockable. I usually strapped on a duffle bag on the rear rack for extra storage. The H-B stuff is pretty pricey, but still cheaper than the BMW suit cases.2005_March_rally_02.jpg

Mike

I'm looking to do some mileage on the V11, I have seen so far the Hepco Becker racks, and also soft panniers (throwovers and pannier/tailpack combos). Lookig really for some advice on what people have used before and costs/recommendations.

Thanks for your time!!

Cortech Sport side and top in back, Guzzi tank bag. This is 70+ liters. For a typical three or four day trip I don't even use the side bags, just tank and tail. I don't use my bike much for commuting and hauling groceries. Yes, it would be nice to have secure storage for a helmet, but thats the way it goes. Why haul all that air around in a nice case most of the time? I fancy if I were to commute I'd get a Tiger with a big top case. Reliable, practical, and ugly (IMHO).

I use the Hepco Becker rack and fit my Givi hard cases to them. Relatively easy modification. I only used the Givi's because I had them from another bike and loved them.

I remove the Hepco Becker rack when not using the luggage. Any easy rack to remove.

Cheers for all the responses so far, basically my budget is not that huge so my original plan was to buy the H-B rack and use these boxes on it-

IMG_0676.jpg

When they were on my Speed triple the whole bike was 1m from edge to edge, and got a weave on above 110 (on private roads of course) If I were to get the H-B rack it doesn't leave me with much £££ to get bags. I like the SW pannier/tailpack combo I linked above as it comes in within my budget. I have a ten day jolly down through france/pyrenees in may so will need it for that. I don't know what pillion foot clearance is like with H-B rack and hard cases fitted? Anyone care comment?

We did a week long trip two up with ours with the hard bags, and the foot position and room were fine for the passenger. Because I used my Givi's and fit them to the H&B rack, I was able to position them optimally for that though. I'm not sure about the H&B bags, but I'm sure they leave enough room for the passenger. If you retrofit another type of case, you'll be able to put them (basically) anywhere you need them.