Looking at V11

il_cacciatore

Hi, really want a V11 and went to see one today.

I was looking at the frame and noticed that compared with the Factory images the frame below the fork seems shorter. I've highlighted in this photo what I mean. Wondering if some bikes came like that from the factory?

Also, do the rocker covers 'flake'? Cause he seems to have touched them up.

Its a 2001 v11. Everything seems to check out ok, he's had the relays replaced and ecu replaced. Done an HPI check and it hasnt been registered crashed or anything.

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers

v11s03.jpg

The frame mounting points are quite high up on the timing casing - should be the same on all V11 models. I'm afraid the paint does come off particularly where hit be insects/road debris etc. I've already had my rocker covers resprayed once (doesn't effect performance though ).

Phil

I was looking at the frame and noticed that compared with the Factory images the frame below the fork seems shorter. I've highlighted in this photo what I mean. Wondering if some bikes came like that from the factory?

The actual frame (spine) was lengthened in '02? [w/ introduction of v11 LeMans, iirc]; that might be the source of your perception that the engine mount is different. FWIW, everyone here w/ the older, "short frame" has no complaint about the handling: Guzzi apparently made the change to solve a non-problem fabricated by the moto-press to give themselves something to write about... :wacko:

Guest ratchethack

Any info is appreciated.

il Cacciatore, as mentioned by Skeeve above, the "short frame" V11's Sports and one other model (can't recall for absolute certain, but I b'lieve it was the Rosso Mandello) were produced in 2000 and (as I recall) also in part of '01. The differences in geometry amount to a change in fork rake of one degree from that of all other V11 variants, the '00 Sports and RMs being 25 degrees, and all other LM and Sport variants being 26 degrees. I've carefully measured mine against the wheelbase of a '04 LM and the difference amounts to 5/8" (16 mm), measured spindle to spindle. There's next to ZERO possibility that anyone would be capable of seeing this difference "by eye" or on a photo. The bolt-on front subframes (the part visible below the steering head circled in your photo) are identical across all V-11 models, so I b'lieve you may've been imagining things, or looking at a photo that incorrectly reflects a perceived difference due to camera angle, parallax, or some other cause of an optical illusion.

There are persistent "old wives' tales" about "a problem" with the geometry and handling of the "short frame" V11's. Again as Skeeve noted, there's never been any legitimate basis in fact on this, (nor any credibly documented examples of it) as has been discussed (and refuted) repeatedly and at length on this Forum. Many of those who fully appreciate the handling of the different V11 models and have ridden both for comparison (count me in) prefer the sharper handling of the "short frame" Guzzi's, and many "in the know" seek them out for this reason. I b'lieve none other than the Oracle of Bungendore hisself has commented that he favors the "short frame" bikes.

Have fun with your selection and welcome to the nuthouse. :wacko:

As a newcomer, I would urge you to take little notice of any lingering fallout from the recent Forum brouhaha that may seem somewhat "odd". :unsure: Some o' us have been known to get as loopy as a banana boat in a swimming pool this time o' year. :lol:

I'm the sort of person that looks for problems even if there aren't any!

Mr. Cacciatore, you have truly found a home here. Fixing things before they become a problem, I might say even in their earliest stages of hypotheticalness, is a lifestyle choice amongst some of us (particularly those not dependent upon the bike for primary transportation). Its a beautiful bike, have fun and welcome to the fold. I may advise picking up both the shop manual as well as a copy of "Guzziology". And the search feature here is a great help. Welcome.

Hey,what's a bit of flaky paint here and there? Ride it,service it,get it dirty,clean it up......repeat as often as possible,just enjoy it!! :race: I see you're in Scotland,will you you be coming to Ken Bridge in May? :drink: (Oh,and welcome aboard by the way...)

couldnt put it better myself BB

my 04 v11sport has a bit of flacky paint around the edges but are getting that sorted so just stick to the above quote and do what i think most guzzi riders do!! :D

Guest frankdugo

agreement to all of the above.those first two years had a trans gear recall;which should have been done-check.when you ride it you will love it.

Oops got confuddled. :lol:

Here is a picture of my purchase. Standard except for the raised bars and light fairing. If anyone has a oem top yoke and clip-ons they don't need give me a pm. :D

One thing that strikes me about the design, surely the rubber tank protector gives an ideal place for water to sit? Also, the front engine mounts are rusting a bit and wondered what colour of red would be a near enough match?

guzziv11.JPG

... The bolt-on front subframes (the part visible below the steering head circled in your photo) are identical across all V-11 models...

Later V11's (01/02 onward) do have a slightly different subframe to the original V11. Rear tubes join front near lower mount point.

KB :sun: