Mystery Part!

Scotch

In the past couple of weeks, I have had my new RM up on stands. I changed out the fairing back to stock, took off both front and rear wheels, had the tank off, valve covers and rocker assemplies apart, steering head dissambled, and of course the seat off. Sometime during this melee, I dropped this washer into the pile of parts for the rear spindle assembly. I really DONT remember exactly when it surfaced, but in my mind I believed it to go in there somewhere.

I do remember that the part "turned up" and wasnt just disassembled into the pile. Sort of like the spacer in the rear drive. It was on the spindle and fell off, then I put it in the parts pile for the rear.

Trouble is with this part, I dont remember when or where it turned up.

Anyway, there is nothing I can find in the shop manual or the parts manual that looks like this in the rear.

AND IN FACT, I cannot find anywhere that I am happy putting it.

There is a possibility that it didnt even come off the bike, because I "tinker" and this could be the dregs of some other forgotten project in the garage.

OH, the size is 40mmOD and 25mmID - I think too big for the rear spindle even. Steering Head?

Any help will be appreciated.

Scott :blush:

Spacer.jpg :stupid:

Guest ratchethack

Scott, I could be wrong, but it looks like the washer that fits into a neoprene insert on the RHS of the bevel drive (between the drive and the swingarm). It serves to protect the small "floating hub" roller bearing that rides on the spindle by keeping grease in and water/road debris out. I remember measuring the OD for another post, and it was 40 mm. Didn't measure the ID, but I'll bet that's it. B)

+1 on that, Scotch. So we are almost 200% sure now ^_^

Once again, Raz and Ratchet - Thanks.

I'll look at the service manual once more, but I'll bet you are right, that was the pile of stuff it was in the neighborhood of, I just couldnt find a washer like that in the diagrams I was looking for.

Then again, I am getting to the age where I cant decide whether to take my glasses off or put them on to read better?

:wacko:

Scott

Guest ratchethack
. . .I am getting to the age where I cant decide whether to take my glasses off or put them on to read better?

Sounds like the age where one advantage of leavin' 'em off is the longer you do, the women your age look younger and younger. . . :P

Sounds like the age where one advantage of leavin' 'em off is the longer you do, the women your age look younger and younger. . . :P

Women my age are scary looking :o with or without the glasses. I am getting to that no glasses AND whisky age.

I finally did find a diagram in the "transmission" section of the workshop manual that shows that shim. Not labeled, mind you, but it a part in the exploded view.

Funny its not mentioned it the section of the manual where you are taking the wheel off = removing the spindle and leaving it free to roll around on my garage floor!

:P

Oh well, time to call up my buddy Wick and ask him to hold on to one side of my spindle again. :huh:

Scott

Drama aside, it appears that only 2 of three late model V11's I own have the spacer/shim/whatever. Now I get to take all of them apart and see what is going on. Great...........

Next thing I know, I'll be holding someone's spindle. Really great.............................

Wick

Drama aside, it appears that only 2 of three late model V11's I own have the spacer/shim/whatever. Now I get to take all of them apart and see what is going on. Great...........

Next thing I know, I'll be holding someone's spindle. Really great.............................

Wick

The good news is that this washer only protects the outer bearing from dirt (it is not even very good at that). When everything is tightened up, I can still rotate the washer. So the wheel/bearings are still properly torqued up.

Be sure to grease that bearing while you are at it.