Lemans Clutch

mfeeney

:wacko:

I've a 2004 Lemans and when it is warmed up the clutch does not completley disengage. This is most noted when stopped and you are tying to find neutral or shift into first gear. I replaced the clutch master cylinder and used a hand vaccum bleeder tool with no results. Anyone have some ideas? If I must change the slave cylinder it appears that the engine must be moved forward one to two inches. Comments? Thanks in advance.

mfeeney

I've a 2004 Lemans and when it is warmed up the clutch does not completley disengage. This is most noted when stopped and you are tying to find neutral or shift into first gear. I replaced the clutch master cylinder and used a hand vaccum bleeder tool with no results. Anyone have some ideas? If I must change the slave cylinder it appears that the engine must be moved forward one to two inches. Comments? Thanks in advance.

mfeeney

I can think of no mechanical issue other that than an air embolism that would cause this.

It can be a bit tricky to bleed the master cylinder. I recommend retrograde bleeding. That is, force brake fluid UP from the slave cylinder bleed nipple.

>>when it is warmed up the clutch does not completley disengage.

Sounds exactly like air in the system. Should not be too hard to get it set to right. Too bad you are so far away, as I would be glad to give you a hand with it.

So, Mike, how are you enjoying the bike that I miss more than any bike I ever sold?

-Jack

Couple of questions....

Does the engagement point of the clutch also change when it gets hot?

Does adjusting the adjustable clutch lever to the number 1 or 2 setting help?

I have had air in my clutch before and it was worst when hot, the most noticeable problem was an early clutch engagement which was very close to the bars. I bled the clutch by gravity (at a camp site) and never had a problem since.

I live not far from you if you need any help.

Mike

mfeeney

Sounds to me like Greg's diagnosis is probably right if the clutch has been bled properly. One other thing might be the friction material de-rivetting from the centres of the plates and getting loose/falling to bits.

I'd cordially suggest poping the motor off and exxaming the clutch.

Pete