removing bar ends to fit bar end mirrors

rideblue1

Hi to all,I'm attempting to fit a pair of bar end mirrors sometime over the next few days and was wondering if any one has attempted this.What to look out for and any tips on making the job easier. I've bought a set of motomax bar end mirrors which were supposed to give me the option of just clamping over the existing bar ends but on inspection are to small circumference wise. Any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance.

Hi to all,I'm attempting to fit a pair of bar end mirrors sometime over the next few days and was wondering if any one has attempted this.What to look out for and any tips on making the job easier. I've bought a set of motomax bar end mirrors which were supposed to give me the option of just clamping over the existing bar ends but on inspection are to small circumference wise. Any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance.

I had my stock bar weights machined to take the CRG mount. It was a pricey event ($85US) and the weights are a bear to get out. If you have a later model the weights may be different, I don't know.

I had my stock bar weights machined to take the CRG mount. It was a pricey event ($85US) and the weights are a bear to get out. If you have a later model the weights may be different, I don't know.

Thanks for the input docc,time to put my thinking cap on me thinks.

Are your mirrors like CRGs? If so, it's possible to mount both the weights and the CRGs. THis is what I did on my Ballabio. I used the heavier weights we (Moto Intl.) sell as a kit, though you could just as easily use the stock weights.

Hi Greg,I think I'm going to keep the stock bar ends and get them machined down as Joe has done in the post below,time to get out the yellow pages and find a good machine shop,thanks for your input.

I had a friend turn my bar ends to fit CRG style mirrors:

They are so sweet looking and much more usable than the stock elbow inspection mirrors.

Joe

Hi Joe,love what you've done with the bar ends, definetely think thats the way to go.It looks such an obvious but tidy fix,cheers mate.

I had a pair of the CRG mirrors and machined the bar ends for that custom look too.

I rode with these mirrors for about a month and could never get used to them. Yes, they are the best looking mirror on the guzzi but the CRG mirrors are too convex which made it hard for me to tell how far back vehicles were behind me (everything looks small in them when in realility they could be very close). You also could not tell the difference between a patrol car from any other car or truck on the road. After a few eye openers, I went back to the Napolean mirrors. Not as trick in looks but work excellent in traffic.

Just my thoughts,

Mike

Hi Greg,I think I'm going to keep the stock bar ends and get them machined down as Joe has done in the post below,time to get out the yellow pages and find a good machine shop,thanks for your input.

I had a pair of the CRG mirrors and machined the bar ends for that custom look too.

I rode with these mirrors for about a month and could never get used to them. Yes, they are the best looking mirror on the guzzi but the CRG mirrors are too convex which made it hard for me to tell how far back vehicles were behind me (everything looks small in them when in realility they could be very close). You also could not tell the difference between a patrol car from any other car or truck on the road. After a few eye openers, I went back to the Napolean mirrors. Not as trick in looks but work excellent in traffic.

Just my thoughts,

Mike

Fair point Mike,I remember having convex mirrors on a Suzuki I bought second hand a few years back. After my first ride I swore I'd get rid of them.I got used to them after a while though and left them on without any problems,hopefully it will be my experience with the Guzzi.

I mounted CRG lane split mirrors on my V11 and used bar end adapters from RhinoMoto:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOMOTO/sto...20and%20Mirrors

They worked fine although I do nitice a slight bit more vibration in the grips compared to the stock, heavier, bar ends.

Hope this helps

Thanks Polebridge,it's really heartening the way people on this forum rally round to help.

Well,attempted to take the bar ends off this morning in order to get them machined to take the mirrors.Clutch side came out without to many problems but the throttle side will not budge, hope I'm not missing anything but I'm presuming that both sides come out the same way by using the allen or hex key only. Any tips,tricks or suggestions? I don't want to mess anything up by being heavy handed but I'm at a bit of a loss as to the next step. :huh:

Well,attempted to take the bar ends off this morning in order to get them machined to take the mirrors.Clutch side came out without to many problems but the throttle side will not budge, hope I'm not missing anything but I'm presuming that both sides come out the same way by using the allen or hex key only. Any tips,tricks or suggestions? I don't want to mess anything up by being heavy handed but I'm at a bit of a loss as to the next step. :huh:

Don't know what to suggest. Mine came out no problem. The bolts on my bike both have conventional threads (counter clockwise to loosen).

Maybe you could use a little more leverage?

Good luck.

Don't know what to suggest. Mine came out no problem. The bolts on my bike both have conventional threads (counter clockwise to loosen).

Maybe you could use a little more leverage?

Good luck.

Hi Polebridge,job done! Wrapped strip of leather around the problem bar end to protect finish and then applied mole grips. After several attempts and numerous swear words it finally came loose....result!

Mirrors are now fitted. Went around to a local engineers who skimmed down the original bar ends to take the new mirror clamps,charged me £10.00 ( just under 20 dollars ). Just fitted the mirrors this morning and I think visually they are a big improvement over the originals. The real test will be how they perform on the road but I can't see any problems,I just hope I remember the extra width when filtering! Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. :bike: