TechnoResearch's VDSTS and DirectLink

Scotch

Last weekend I tuned up my bikes TPS and balance the throttles.

I had the opportunity to use my friends VDSTS software from TechnoResearch. We hooked it up to my Rosso Mandello and with the help of reams of information from this forum, my bike now purrs like a kitten.

My friend has lots of bikes and owns the "PRO" version. It aint cheap.

For the 15M, many of its functions are "grayed out" (as in not available)

You can read TPS in degrees and RPM, etc, so it was useful in our endeavour.

Has anyone out there used the Directlink stuff from them? I ultimately want something I can tweak the map with. VDSTS is diagnostic only.

If Directlink also displays some basic real time information (like TPS in degrees or voltages and RPM), it seems to me you could use that one product for setting up your bike, instead of the VDSTS.

THere is just not much in the way of real Diagnostics for the 15M in the VDSTS software. Most of the functions it displays are only available for other ECU's.

For anyone out there familiar with these products, can you elaborate / comment?

Thanks - Scott

Scotch, I'm a user/dealer for both. VDSTS; http://www.guzzitech.com/store/TR-VDSTS.html -- DirectLink; http://www.guzzitech.com/store/TR-DirectLink.html

Indeed the VDSTS is diagnostic scan software, and it is written to cover a large group of ECUs. The VDSTS was once the *only* software used by the factory/dealer network for troubleshooting and tuning. It covers very basic corrective diagnostics for the 1.5M, and allows "trim" fueling adjustments at idle/low throttling.

The DirectLink is a total ECU access software program. It allows map access for fuel, timing and others. It was developed to be used by trained technicians on a dyno. However, that hasn't stopped handfuls from purchasing it to do timing tweaks for engine pinging. While one could potentially develop a fuel map, I still lean towards the PCIII/Tuning Link for that job... however, it can be done. Last I heard, years ago, from someone who used it, cost was well over $1000 USD for custom mapping.

I use it for timing adjustments only, since the PCIII does not.

Hope that helps.

Scotch, I'm a user/dealer for both. VDSTS; http://www.guzzitech.com/store/TR-VDSTS.html -- DirectLink; http://www.guzzitech.com/store/TR-DirectLink.html

Indeed the VDSTS is diagnostic scan software, and it is written to cover a large group of ECUs. The VDSTS was once the *only* software used by the factory/dealer network for troubleshooting and tuning. It covers very basic corrective diagnostics for the 1.5M, and allows "trim" fueling adjustments at idle/low throttling.

The DirectLink is a total ECU access software program. It allows map access for fuel, timing and others. It was developed to be used by trained technicians on a dyno. However, that hasn't stopped handfuls from purchasing it to do timing tweaks for engine pinging. While one could potentially develop a fuel map, I still lean towards the PCIII/Tuning Link for that job... however, it can be done. Last I heard, years ago, from someone who used it, cost was well over $1000 USD for custom mapping.

I use it for timing adjustments only, since the PCIII does not.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Todd,

Also thanks for the info via our email conversation - didnt know I would be hitting you from both directions! :D

After listening to what you have said, I am going to thouroughly consider what it is I really want.

Maybe messing with the map is not such a great idea.

However, I do know of Maps which can be had for the Directlink tool that are quite a lot cheaper than $1000.

One other question, back to VDSTS. With a gasometer attachment, would it have other tuning applications for my bike?

:unsure:

You can tell I am dying to "mess" with something!!!

Thanks,

Scott