favorite Harley

I bought a Fat Boy new in 1992 and have logged well over 230,000 miles on her. Other than the frame, forks, tranny case, and oil tank pretty much every part on it has been replaced at least once. Its mission in life is to shake itself apart!!

THAT SAID, It still puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it, and it has ALWAYS gotten me home one way or another.

I have to say though, that saying on the old Harley T-shirt could just as well be on a Guzzi shirt. "If I have to explain why, you wouldn't understand" Let's face it, we choose these bikes, despite their flaws, for their character and charisma.

If you want perfection buy a Honda.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Fat Boy' does that discribe the riders

Actually, there is the urban legend that says it was a reference to the Fat Man and the Little Boy, the 2 nuclear bombs dropped on Japan. Particularily, because the 1st year of the Fat Boy was all silver like the Enola Gay bomber that dropped them.

Most likely just that, an urban legend but back in the 80s when the Japanese were just starting to copy the Harley cruiser, HD did came out with an interesting advertisement. It showed a picture of a lowrider of something and then under the photo it said in Japanese. " here is your next years model"

I bought a Fat Boy new in 1992 and have logged well over 230,000 miles on her. Other than the frame, forks, tranny case, and oil tank pretty much every part on it has been replaced at least once. Its mission in life is to shake itself apart!!

Yep, the old Softails w/ their rigid-mount motors have built in shift marks: when your feet vibrate off the footboards, it's time to shift up! :lol:

Thank heavens H-D finally got wise and came out w/ a counter-balanced version of their BT motor: now the Softails can finally go on the long rides w/ any of the rubber-glide models and not hold things up stopping/going back to pick up the parts that vibed off! ;)

The rubber-mounting of the Sposta motor was also another giant leap for Harley-kind: yes, it added 50 unwanted pounds to the curb wt. of the motorcycle, but it metamorphed the Sportster from being a paint-shaker mounted in a mini-bike frame to something that's livable. I never could stand'em before, 'cause you had the wring their necks to get anywhere fast, and doing so gave you double-vision from all the shaking.

Yeah, yeah, I know: the serious Harley freaks would call me a pussy, but AFAIC, if it doesn't work for me, then it's not a buying option. The newer Harleys work much better than anything prior to the FXRS [well, except for the FXD series, but that was engineered from the accountants' office... :rolleyes:]

Yep, the old Softails w/ their rigid-mount motors have built in shift marks: when your feet vibrate off the footboards, it's time to shift up! :lol:

Thank heavens H-D finally got wise and came out w/ a counter-balanced version of their BT motor: now the Softails can finally go on the long rides w/ any of the rubber-glide models and not hold things up stopping/going back to pick up the parts that vibed off! ;)

Yeah, you are correct. My wife has a 1990 FLHS and even though it's an old one, getting on that feels like I'm in a Cadillac compared to the rigid Softail.

Hey didn't Harley sell some kind of Italian bike back in the early 1970s???

'Fat Boy' does that discribe the riders

Yes - So much so I felt compelled to have this photo taken - A pair of Fat Boys

9224fc51.jpg

notice the V11 Cafe Racer T shirt

Alright, three pages is enough.

Topic closed, pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

No - I think I might make it a sticky (pin it to the top of the list) :o

Guest ratchethack
Yup, the Aermacchi 350, horizontal single. They had some 2 stroke dirt bikes too.

And 2-stroke road bikes.

post-1212-1204079700_thumb.jpg

1968 Aermacchi/Harley-Davidson Rapido 125