favorite Harley

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I would kinda like the california for a cruiser but I sat on one and I'm 6'2" and really like to be able to stretch out or atleast a little more than the guzzi cruisers let you because of the engine configuration, I have no problem with the V11 but with the feet foward the engine gets in the way. I really haven't treid the stone/bassa/ti config tho, looks more fwd. the bellagio looks similar to the V11 but cruiserish.

I only like the mini-ape hangers I think the full on, and those extreme hangers are just garbage looking, and I didn't like the mini-ape's at first until I sat on one and got a feel for it and how with my large frame it just made more ergonomical sense. If I'm looking for a cruiser in a couple years I might just get a guzzi but I'm really liking the HD, plus I'll be over 30 by then, which is a big deal, a 20 something on a HD? REDICULOUS. :lol:

Macguzzi, tell us how you feel! :D

I feel very sick, nobody ever mentions the high probability that your rear pot will overheat and drop the liner, poor design okay when it was a 500 but 1340 too hot. Feeling even sicker now did not mention the H word though

That "cafe" sportster was called the XLCR and i believe it was only built in 1977. That was the only Harly I felt I wanted to own and still do, although truth be know that was when AMF built Harleys and bowling balls and bowling balls handled better and were mostly trouble free!

That "cafe" sportster was called the XLCR and i believe it was only built in 1977. That was the only Harly I felt I wanted to own and still do, although truth be know that was when AMF built Harleys and bowling balls and bowling balls handled better and were mostly trouble free!

Ya know you just cant hide the facts AMF balls just handle and hold together :lol:

Just say NO to apehangers Ben! :D

apes-717862.jpg

Seems someone didn't get enough attention in fifth grade.

Soon this imbecile will need to make a quick maneuver or crash. I'm betting crash.

I think "official production" dates are '77-'79 (model years, so available from late '76 to '81 or whenever the last '79s disappeared...), but the cool "siamesed" exhaust headers were only '77-'78, iirc.

I always liked the XLCR too: as a styling exercise, it was one of Willie G's finest hours. Too bad the components didn't live up to the promise [wooden brakes, ironhead Sposta mill, etc.] H-D could do a "repop" of the XLCR [hey, it's the 30th anniversary right now! ;)] w/ the far superior Evo Sporty mill, the new better tranny, their new better brakes, etc. etc. and probably sell a bunch of'em to those Cusp'ers & GenX'ers like me who have fond memories of the XLCR & other cafe racers of the day who just aren't into the "Harley scene" like their predominantly Boomer demographic is. Heck, they might even snare a few of the Boomers who've so far resisted buying a Harley...

As far as Harley models I've liked, it's a pretty short list:

Like Carl Allison pointed out, the XR750 is a serious bike. But for $10k, all you get is an engine, in pieces, in a box? Oy vey! ;)

The XR1000 was the only street-legal over-square Harley motor sold until one of the Buells came along to alter that score. Of course, it can be argued it's still the only one, since Buells are under a different nameplate, but the MoCo owns them too, so... :) Anyway, it was a pretty raw, basic bike, w/ the two carbs on the right side making it look kinda lop-sided from above, but had performance that no other Harley could match until recently. That's why Erik Buell used the XR1000 mill in his Thor's Hammer BoT racer. :race:

The FatBoy did just what it's name was selected to indicate: dropped the Big One one all the J-Brand (metric) cruisers. It's still Willie G's most successful styling exercise.

The RoadKing [pre '98] was my fave just about as soon as it saw light of day. Suited to transcon riding, but w/o all the frippery of the FLHTCUIALDIASDFKLKSDAF models: just your basic all rounder. Windshield easily removed for day2day boulevard cruising. Why to I specify pre '98? Because that was the year Harley decided to pursue the midget market and lowered all their already-low seat heights across the board [by up to 2" in some cases!] This means the pre '98 RK is suited to someone of LES stature, while the later models are well-suited to torture those of us built on the more "all American corn-fed boy" scale of things. It was truly a tragedy of less-than-gigantic proportions [unless you were one of those built on less-than-average proportions who'd been hankering for a Road King: then it was a god-send! :D] Oddly enough, the model revamp turned the previously uncomfortable FatBoy into something decent for me, so on that other "pick," it's post '98 for me! :D

My best friend's FLSTS(?) w/ the custom red-flame on bare metal f/x paint job. It is truly a beautiful bike, and w/ the counterbalanced motor Harley finally put in their "Softail" frames, it's a decent ride. The springer front end really works over normal road ripples [yes, lack of suspension travel, front OR rear will do you in over major road hazards, but that's what counter-steering is for! :thumbsup:] and w/ the counterbalanced motor, you can finally run at highway speeds w/o detaching a retina. ;) Plus the wide-tired front end is a truly "classic" look that the FXSTS(?) models have never had (& why none of the FX models have ever appealed to me.)

I still wish Harley would bring a real VR1000 to market, cut the Buell nonsense, who cares if it's 10 years past it's sell-by date, the VRSC nonsense just doesn't do justice to that motor!

But none of the above can touch a LeMans, LMII/III/IV/V, 1000S, Spot/Sporti, Daytona RS or v11LeMans in looks (& for the most part, in performance either!) so for now, they'll just have to live in my dream garage, since I don't have the money to have all the bikes I want ["curse you Jay Leno!" /Snoopy ;)]

I've recently seen that new Dirt track thingy. It looked nice. But I'd never, and I mean never, consider it.

Yea...thats cute.

HD totally dropped the ball when they didn't go with a production XR like Jay and Bubba

were running back in the day. If they brought that on line and paid engineers to keep up with the Nippon models instead of graphic designers, I'd be riding one today. (maybe)

I got a buddy that can jump his road king through a hoop too.

yea...he gets all the girls......

My favorite Harley is an XR750 TT (road racing version of the XR750) but there have been a number great ones in history. For this thread I'll say my second favorite is the one in my garage. The Road Glide, slightly modified, carries me and or me and a passenger down the road in way I've never experienced before and have come to enjoy very much. I was amazed to find beautiful scenery on roads I ridden many times in the past. Besides, seeing the look on the faces of FRJ and ST 1300 riders who show up long enough after I arrive at a stop to have my helmet, jacket and gloves off is more than entertaining. No, I'm not going to pass a well ridden sport touring bike on my Harley but most of them aren't ridden that well. :lol:

Just to throw a little gasoline on the fire, I find it pretty funny to see people who ride Moto Guzzi's making fun of Harleys. My Harley didn't shed any parts on the way home from the dealership, my Guzzi did. The Harley came with a weak chassis and very poorly sorted forks. The Guzzi came with a fair chassis and both the forks and shock so badly set-up that fixing them was pretty much a start from scratch project. The Harley came with very little power but perfect delivery, the Guzzi came with a fair amount of power and a huge flat spot in the delivery. Other than at idle the Harley is much smoother then the Guzzi. My K1200LT was much faster then the Harley but I sold it to make room for the Road Glide. The BMW was just not fun to ride, the Harley is always fun to ride. My Ducati is much faster and handles much better the Guzzi but I keep and enjoy both. Neither the Harley or the Guzzi makes much sense from an objective point of view but that has no effect on my deep affection for both bikes. :bike:

JMHO,

Lex