Throttle problem

Paul Guzzi

I've recently seen that new Dirt track thingy. It looked nice. But I'd never, and I mean never, consider it.

Hello,

On another topic, it appears that you have an '02 LeMans. I just bought one, but have not owned a Guzzi since my old 1968 V7 that desperately needed a 5th gear........

Anyway, since we're knee deep in snow here in Michigan, I have yet to ride it. Last week, when I started it, there was not tension on the throttle (throttle return spring?) Not having any parts books or manuals yet, I looked at the throttle body linkage, etc., but didn't see a spring there. I thought it might be inside the grip housing on the right bar, but didn't have time then to start taking things apart. Then I tracked down a 2002 LeMans parts listing, but I could not find reference to a throttle return "system" of any kind. So, duh? Can you offer the actual answer.......?

Thanks,

paul

Hello,

On another topic, it appears that you have an '02 LeMans. I just bought one, but have not owned a Guzzi since my old 1968 V7 that desperately needed a 5th gear........

Anyway, since we're knee deep in snow here in Michigan, I have yet to ride it. Last week, when I started it, there was not tension on the throttle (throttle return spring?) Not having any parts books or manuals yet, I looked at the throttle body linkage, etc., but didn't see a spring there. I thought it might be inside the grip housing on the right bar, but didn't have time then to start taking things apart. Then I tracked down a 2002 LeMans parts listing, but I could not find reference to a throttle return "system" of any kind. So, duh? Can you offer the actual answer.......?

Thanks,

paul

Hello Paul,

Perhaps this post should be on the tech board. Anyway, the thottle bodies each have return springs. Are you saying the throttle twists freely, the t-bodies open and do not close? No spring action? If you turn your throttle it will just stay open? Is there any type of throttle lock? Give us a little more detail.

Hello Paul,

Perhaps this post should be on the tech board. Anyway, the thottle bodies each have return springs. Are you saying the throttle twists freely, the t-bodies open and do not close? No spring action? If you turn your throttle it will just stay open? Is there any type of throttle lock? Give us a little more detail.

I've had the bike a few weeks. Have started it a few times while looking out the garage window at the snow. Uneventful the first three times. The fourth time, when I twisted the throttle, the rpms ramped up very quickly and since the when I returned the throttle to the idle position, it had no affect on the high rpms, I quickly turned off the key. With the engine off, I turned the throttle again, watched the linkage move on the TBs. When I let go of the throttle, nothing happened. The throttle retained its position as did the linkage. When I returned the throttle to idle position, the linkage on the TBs did not move, but stayed in the wide open position. I started the bike again after moving the TB linkage by hand back to idle. It stated right up. I could blip the linkage by hand and they returned via spring pull........

OK, could it just be that the throttle cable needs some lube? Maybe I just answered my own question. I'll try that and let you know. If this is correct, then thanks for asking me to describe this more carefully. Focus, focus, focus.

I've been staring at banks of 4 carburetors for too many years........................

-Paul

I had to clean and lube my twist grip once as it was sticking there, preventing the throtles from closing naturally. But yours is still staying open when you've manually returned so it wouldn't be the grip, but it could be the cable in the sleeve and that seems to be favorite at this point.

Another one to watch is the fast idle lever and cable. It's quite amazing how much your braking distance extends (or need for a firmer tug) if you leave the fast idle on :homer: