Need some help

bikelee

;) I have a 2004 Ballabio with 6100 miles that has a couple of problems. I started the bike up and it was idling and I noticed a chuffing noise. It sounds like the exhaust gasket on the left hand cylinder is leaking. I replaced it with a new one when I put the steel shims in the crossover after the original crossover gaskets blew out. Should I replace the new exhaust gasket I just put in ? Could the valves be too loose on the left hand side of the motor ? I checked the valves(cold) at the 6000 mile service and they appear to be right on. It seems as the motor warms up the noise gets quieter but does not go away completely.

Also after I shut the motor off, I noticed that there was gasoline dripping from the left hand throttle body. It was dripping from around the spring. What's going on here ?

I've had this bike since the late fall and have not been able to ride the thing as I am having one problem after another.

Help ! Thanks, a frustrated new Guzzi owner.

I love this bike and want to keep it. Am I worrying too much ?

I don't think the local dealer who just got the Guzzi franchise is that good.

I really want to learn how to wrench this machine myself. ( Got Guzziology) It seems like a pretty simple bike but there appears to be a certain complexity to its simplicity.

;) I have a 2004 Ballabio with 6100 miles that has a couple of problems. I started the bike up and it was idling and I noticed a chuffing noise. It sounds like the exhaust gasket on the left hand cylinder is leaking. I replaced it with a new one when I put the steel shims in the crossover after the original crossover gaskets blew out. Should I replace the new exhaust gasket I just put in ? Could the valves be too loose on the left hand side of the motor ? I checked the valves(cold) at the 6000 mile service and they appear to be right on. It seems as the motor warms up the noise gets quieter but does not go away completely.

Also after I shut the motor off, I noticed that there was gasoline dripping from the left hand throttle body. It was dripping from around the spring. What's going on here ?

I've had this bike since the late fall and have not been able to ride the thing as I am having one problem after another.

Help ! Thanks, a frustrated new Guzzi owner.

I love this bike and want to keep it. Am I worrying too much ?

I don't think the local dealer who just got the Guzzi franchise is that good.

I really want to learn how to wrench this machine myself. ( Got Guzziology) It seems like a pretty simple bike but there appears to be a certain complexity to its simplicity.

Don't worry. If the bike has been sitting there may be deposits in the injector allowing it to leak, fouling the plug. It happened to me once after a winter lay up. Cured itself. You may want to add a de-carboning chemical to the gas to clean things up on your first tank of the season. I recommend Seafoam. Don't over do it.

Loosen the exhaust collars and wiggle the pipes around then re-torque if they are leaking. I doubt you'll need another gasket.

Don't worry. If the bike has been sitting there may be deposits in the injector allowing it to leak, fouling the plug. It happened to me once after a winter lay up. Cured itself. You may want to add a de-carboning chemical to the gas to clean things up on your first tank of the season. I recommend Seafoam. Don't over do it.

Loosen the exhaust collars and wiggle the pipes around then re-torque if they are leaking. I doubt you'll need another gasket.

I seemed to have fixed the chuffing. I had to tighten the acorn nuts on the exhaust flange a little tighter. How much Seafoam should I use to clear the injector ?

I seemed to have fixed the chuffing. I had to tighten the acorn nuts on the exhaust flange a little tighter. How much Seafoam should I use to clear the injector ?

Is it still dripping? How much have you run it?

I'd add about 8oz to a full tank. You may notice smoke from the exhaust, the more concentrated the mix the more it will smoke. Don't worry it'll go away with the next fill up.

We have been known to reassemble Ballabios at the South'n Spine Raid (late May, Tennessee). We promise to use copious quantities of Grappa in order to obtain a factory result! :mg: